Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Soc Security acting like I'm welfare scammer! RANT

Soc Security acting like I'm welfare scammer! RANT

I've been on ssdi since sci. As a disabled widow 50 or over, I'm entitled to exchange my ssdi for 71% of my husband's social security. I tried to make an appt, as this has to be discussed in person. I have to take in my marriage license, Steve's death certificate, my Soc Security card. No copies allowed, all originals required.

But wait! You can't really call for an appt-They don't list the SS office's ph no! You have to call the feds and they supposedly make the appt for you. But when I called, their "computer was down." They couldn't even get a number for me. I hung up, called back, got another lady, who gave me the supposed correct ph. number. It was correct-if I was a fax machine. Finally I googled for an hr. and tracked down the right no.

Anyway, that lady that I reached got it in her head that I'm not 50 and I'm not disabled. She goes "I keep thinking you're in your 40's" I was thinking Ehh? You've put thought into my age, have you? (I also thought to myself "Just a little more thought would help yo to ascertain that my birthdate of April, 1960, does indeed establish an age of 50 years..." I didn't say that part out loud.) Anyway, it's not up for debate, because I turned 50 in April, sheeesh. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

And she's oddly determined to evaluate me for ssi. I worked all my life, I'm on ssdi dammit! That was established 10 years ago! Now all you need to know is that I am A. Disabled. Widow. 50. Years. Old.

She kinda sniffed, said "How long were you married?" REALLY snarky tone of voice. I just growled at her. TWENTY FIVE YEARS. She cautioned me "You WILL have to bring in your marriage license, you know." I'm like Okayyyy. (And thinking WTF, lady, you really think I'm trying to scam you, huh?) Once again, the 25 year thing is not up for debate. That's how many years it is if you got married in May of 1985.

As far as i know, it wouldn't matter if we'd only been married a month or 2 anyway. I'd still be his widow and entitled to his SS, I assume?

Gawdamighty. This appointment is not shaping up well at all. She mailed me papers to fill out-for SSI!

I'm not trying to game the system, at all. I can't do my old job b/c of fingers. Can't work reliably b/c of Graves disease. That's why they call me disabled, dammit...

I'm just so pissed that she treated me like a faker that wants to go on welfare. She got it in her head that I'm a fake disabled welfare queen that is not really 50 and is trying to get Steve's social security after being married for a year or something.

I am sooooo not looking forward to this. To tell you the truth, I don't think I should have to put up w/ this kind of bs at this point in my life. Not trying to be a special snowflake here, but damn. My husband just died, I'm 50, I'm disabled. Don't gimme nunya shit!
    Last edited by betheny; 09-02-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Oh, and this isn't really related, just kind of interesting. The SS office in OKC is in an old mall that was going under in the early 90's, displaced by newer better ones. When McVeigh the Lunatic blew up the Murrah fed building, Shepherd Mall got a new lease on life.

Unusually practical solution for the government, I thought. In fact, it even makes SENSE!

Bethany, You have my sympathy dealing with some of these people.
    Not exactly the same as your situation, but some of them are just plain stupid and nasty.
    I would have been fired if were so rude and incompetent at my job.

Linda, right?? I dealt with all walks of life, as a lab tech. The phlebotomists could never seem to draw blood on the junkies, for instance, due their vein condition. So they'd call me in to get the blood samples. (I started out working in KS. Back in the day, in KS, there was no such thing as phlebotomists. So I became good at it.) My job was to procure the blood, and to test it, and to do these things properly so nobody died due to my incompetence.

I'd have been soooo fired for passing judgment on a patient. ANY patient.

Social Security SUCKS.
    By the way you have to be married 10 years to get part of your husbands benefits. I was married 9.5 of course... I learned this later when helping a widow at my job.

SO to join your rant. I got a letter today telling me they will be deducting 3,675.00 from my next check. WHY? Because the woman who entered my medical expenses back in May forgot to put that they were level for the whole year and only entered the one month. So they are taking back June July and August. Yea I don't draw very much..
    Now I have to reprove that I did indeed have medical expenses, etc. Her reply to me - Well you shouldn't depend on a social security check to live. WTF??
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

That is so messed up. Both yours and Betheny's experiences just prove how bad the SSA is. I'll call up 4 times in one day and ask the same question, and actually get 4 different answers. So I don't even talk to them anymore.

I'm sorry they're hitting you for so much money due to their own incompetency addie sue. And Betheny, I'm sorry you're having problems, too. I personally know many people scamming the SSA for SSDI. The fraud is rampant, yet they go after the people who are actually disabled, while AB folks seem to never get investigated for scamming them.
    Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    Social Security SUCKS.
    By the way you have to be married 10 years to get part of your husbands benefits. I was married 9.5 of course... I learned this later when helping a widow at my job.

SO to join your rant. I got a letter today telling me they will be deducting 3,675.00 from my next check. WHY? Because the woman who entered my medical expenses back in May forgot to put that they were level for the whole year and only entered the one month. So they are taking back June July and August. Yea I don't draw very much..
    Now I have to reprove that I did indeed have medical expenses, etc. Her reply to me - Well you shouldn't depend on a social security check to live. WTF??
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

You shouldn't depend on SS to live? What's it supposed to be, your tip and beer budget for Chippendale's night?? Maybe you're supposed to buy lottery tickets and play slots with it so you don't have to depend on it to live? Maybe you're supposed to use it to buy eyeliner and hotpants, so you can ply your real trade down at Hooker Corner? (Err, that makes it sound like I think you're a hooker. Sarcasm alert!)

That woman came up with the dumbest thing ever said, I believe!

If you have $3675 for 3 mo's benefits you're drawing more than me. Hence the desire for Steve's SS. I have assets but I have squat for income, man, Ima po widow fo sho. : Wonder if I should buy some hotpants...Not sure there'd be much of a market for 50 yr old gimps, to tell the truth.

rdf, I wonder why anyone bothers to scam ssdi, as little as I make, seriously!

That's including 2 kids benefits
    You can have my old hotpants if you want them
    Hope you get it worked out. And on the SS website there should be a place to enter your zip code and find the actual phone number, although that's a little late now.

RDF how did you get through 4 times? I was on hold once for over an hour.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

We found out last month that the financial worker had miscalculated the spend down we pay every month since Medicaid started in January.
    She was near retiring and seemed like she was just putting in her time.
    Did not return phone calls. Unpleasant-never a consistent answer. Acted like I was a pregnant with my 6th kid.
    I felt like screaming "THIS COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE!!!"

Believe it or not, I tried the zip code thing first. You put in your zip code and you think you're getting the correct ph no. But really it gives you the 866 number to the feds. Now THAT is fraudulent, I wonder how they'd like it if I gave them a bogus ph. number?

I guess the state offices can't be trusted to answer phones or make their own appointments. They must be too busy guessing at ppl's ages, marital status and disability level. (We know they aren't too busy entering data on ppl's medical expenses!)