Thread: Walkabout & Whirlwind Wheelchairs

Walkabout & Whirlwind Wheelchairs

Just heard about these two and wanted to share.

This month marks the one-year anniversary of the launch of The Walkabout Foundation. Exactly one year ago today, my brother Luis and I arrived in Santiago de Compostela after walking 870 kilometers for 31 days straight. With your support, the walk raised $150,000 dollars, which in turn provided wheelchairs to 700 individuals who became disabled as a result of the January 2010 earthquake in Haiti. I would appreciate 5 minutes of your time to watch a short video that shows what a difference your contribution has made to the lives of so many: http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=HZVejjaNU-o.

On the research front, The Walkabout Foundation provided the Christopher Reeve Foundation with a $50,000 grant to sponsor Dr. Reggie Edgerton, a leading scientist in the field of paralysis based out of the University of California, Los Angeles. Dr. Edgerton has allowed rats with completely severed spinal cords to walk again using a combination of drug therapy and electrical stimulation. For the first time ever, the walking was facilitated by tapping into circuitry in the spinal cord itself, and not by restoring brain control. This is truly groundbreaking research!
    Today, I'd like to ask for your support one more time. Luis and I are going back on a walk for what has become an annual tradition that will take place in a new destination every year. Luis and I will be following a segment of the Via Francigena, an ancient path that leads from Canterbury to Rome. On Monday, September 13th, we will set off from Lucca in the heart of Tuscany and walk 200 kilometers in 7 days. We will be walking around 30 kilometers each day, approximately a marathon a day.
    All funds raised from the walk will be directed to purchasing wheelchairs for Chile, Rwanda, and Pakistan, and building an independent living home/facility for people with disabilities in Haiti. If you would like to support our cause and sponsor our walk, please visit http://www. thewalkaboutfoundation.org/ how-to-help.
    Thank you for making our mission a reality. Together, we can donate wheelchairs to those in need and find a cure for paralysis one step at a time.
    Love, Carolina
    PS: if you would like to learn more about the walk or may be interested in joining us, please email me.

Carolina Gonzalez-Bunster Co-Founder, The Walkabout Foundation
    www.thewalkaboutfoundation.org

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZVejjaNU-o
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

thanks gotwheels

good news is always nice
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Gotwheels,
    Thanks for posting the vid. I loved being in Haiti with you all. The trip of a lifetime. I dont think I can make the Italy trip - seriously jealous though. Looks like a TON of fun.

Favorite Scene from Haiti: when Vladimer meets Ralf - I love the inspiration of a young SCI meeting someone who has accomplished so much for wheelchair riders globally.

Keep up the great work. Have a great trip on the Via Francigena.

~Keoke