Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Wheelchair Design

New Wheelchair Design

Hello all.

I came across this forum the other day while doing some research for a project I'm working on and decided to sign up.

My project is a prototype ultra-light, ultra-compact when folded, full size folding wheelchair that does not compromise performance or useability. In the past I've also worked on several other accessability prototype projects, such as a hand control system for manual transmission vehicles and a sock applicator for patients with MS. I'm a mechanical engineer by training.

Being AB myself (please don't hold it against me ), I'll be the first to admit I don't fully understand the challenges faced by wheelchair users. I'd love some input from this community regarding "must have" features, adjustability levels, etc, etc that would make a good chair a great chair.

Thanks for reading!

Rather than reinventing the wheel (or wheelchair in this case), using this site's Search engine do thread title search for "new wheelchair design" as this query has been posed numerous times before.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Rather than reinventing the wheel (or wheelchair in this case), using this site's Search engine do thread title search for "new wheelchair design" as this query has been posed numerous times before.
    Will do, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by McWilly View Post
    In the past I've also worked on several other accessability prototype projects, such as a hand control system for manual transmission vehicles...
    got any photos or literature on this that you could share?

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    got any photos or literature on this that you could share?
    I'll have to look though my files to see if I can find the pictures and the report we wrote. I'd be happy to send them to you (provided I still have them) if you want to PM me your e-mail address.

You should try using a wheelchair for a few weeks or months and get a better idea of what you would do to change things. But try and do it legitimately and don't use your legs to do things.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I got something that would help immeasurably. I am a quadriplegic with no hand function like many on here.

I can not see why, in this age of fantastic technology, that a mechanical glove that could open and close my useless fingers, can not be designed.

Oh my, how much a difference that would make in my life is unexplainable.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

How 'bout a third hand? somewhere convenient to 'hold' something (like empty chip bag on the way to the trash can) other than my lap or my mouth.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Any chance of getting info on the manual transmission control system? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by McWilly View Post
    Hello all.

I came across this forum the other day while doing some research for a project I'm working on and decided to sign up.

My project is a prototype ultra-light, ultra-compact when folded, full size folding wheelchair that does not compromise performance or useability. In the past I've also worked on several other accessability prototype projects, such as a hand control system for manual transmission vehicles and a sock applicator for patients with MS. I'm a mechanical engineer by training.

Being AB myself (please don't hold it against me ), I'll be the first to admit I don't fully understand the challenges faced by wheelchair users. I'd love some input from this community regarding "must have" features, adjustability levels, etc, etc that would make a good chair a great chair.

Thanks for reading!
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.