Page 93 of 287 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by comad View Post
    Imagine what team would be if Dr. Wise & Dr. Silver and couple of other top researchers start to play together!

We would land on the moon!
    Scientific sci national and international collaboration is in play and movement. Lots of good things will happen.

I request that people be more respectful of scientists. I have the greatest respect for Jerry Silver, particularly for his pioneering role in discovering the important role of chondroitin-6-sulfate-proteoglycans in inhibiting axonal growth in the spinal cord. He is a great scientist.

Scientists naturally have many disagreements on what is the best route for curing spinal cord injury. None of us possess the full story of spinal cord injury and what will cure spinal cord injury. However, we do agree on many subjects. It is useful for the spinal cord injury community to know what scientists agree and do not agree on.

On the other hand, I don't think that it is useful for members of the spinal cord injury community to compare and pit one scientist against another. That doesn't help anybody at all. We all are working for the same goal and should be working together.

I want to clear up one persistent misunderstanding. I lead clinical trial networks that test promising and feasible therapies for SCI. The trials are not testing "my" therapies. We are testing therapies developed by many independent laboratories.

Some day, we hope to test therapies discovered by Jerry Silver, Stephen Davies, Mari Dezawa, Lisa McKerracher, Zhigang He, Ozzy Steward, Mary Bunge, and many others. I wish that we had the funds to test more therapies. There will naturally be disagreement with our choices. I would be happy to discuss them.

Wise.

I know many of you have been injured far longer than my son who is not quite 1 year post yet. You deserve the right to ask tough respectful questions, but when I see people attacking the ones that are trying to help us, it makes me lose a little hope. I see professional disagreements in the software design field all the time, in the end we usually come out with a better product. In the end I could care less of whose cure is the one. I know that the scientists that post here are honorable and passionate. Thank you for your dedication.
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Muskie, you are right; you see disagreement from time to time. WE ARE LOOKING FOR A CURE. this thread is titeld the cure forum/. we are up and down constantly but things are happening. I just don't know who to belive. I hope that for your son and other youg people will get a treatment that will allow them to get on withn their lives, as well as yours. I also hope that something will yield benefits for longer term and older patents who have been on this forum for years and sit and wait.

anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    I request that people be more respectful of scientists. I have the greatest respect for Jerry Silver, particularly for his pioneering role in discovering the important role of chondroitin-6-sulfate-proteoglycans in inhibiting axonal growth in the spinal cord. He is a great scientist.

Scientists naturally have many disagreements on what is the best route for curing spinal cord injury. None of us possess the full story of spinal cord injury and what will cure spinal cord injury. However, we do agree on many subjects. It is useful for the spinal cord injury community to know what scientists agree and do not agree on.

On the other hand, I don't think that it is useful for members of the spinal cord injury community to compare and pit one scientist against another. That doesn't help anybody at all. We all are working for the same goal and should be working together.

I want to clear up one persistent misunderstanding. I lead clinical trial networks that test promising and feasible therapies for SCI. The trials are not testing "my" therapies. We are testing therapies developed by many independent laboratories.

Some day, we hope to test therapies discovered by Jerry Silver, Stephen Davies, Mari Dezawa, Lisa McKerracher, Zhigang He, Ozzy Steward, Mary Bunge, and many others. I wish that we had the funds to test more therapies. There will naturally be disagreement with our choices. I would be happy to discuss them.

Wise.
    Thanks Wise.

Dear CC community,

We are all in this together and until we help those with SCI get better we will not rest. Good heated scientific debate stirs passion and helps maintain our focus on what is really important...to develop real solutions to cure chronic spinal cord injury. I stirred the pot yet again. Ch'ase has, indeed, been shown to be effective after a contusive type of injury. Importantly, we will report shortly the development of a second generation and markedly improved strategy that works better than ch'ase to overcome CSPG mediated inhibition. The new therapy is highly effective in restoring function (locomotion and bladder function) after severe contusive injury using a simple, systemic route of administration. This time around we don't need Acorda and we have a much easier road to clinical trials. I still think I have a few good ideas left in this old brain and I have and will continue to dedicate most of what I think about to the SCI community.

Quote Originally Posted by keeping on View Post
    Muskie, you are right; you see disagreement from time to time. WE ARE LOOKING FOR A CURE. this thread is titeld the cure forum/. we are up and down constantly but things are happening. I just don't know who to belive. I hope that for your son and other youg people will get a treatment that will allow them to get on withn their lives, as well as yours. I also hope that something will yield benefits for longer term and older patents who have been on this forum for years and sit and wait.

anthony
    I think the problem is "you don't know who to believe" which has the underlying assumption that some is right and someone is wrong. You can't look at research like that, it is just not that black and white. The reality is that in most likely every research project and clinical trial we learn something that we didn't know before and it gets us one step closer to a "cure". I put "cure" in quotes because SCI isn't a disease with one causative factor like say smallpox. No one sneezes on you and you catch SCI, it is caused by injury or in some people's case something like MS. There isn't going to be an SCI vaccine or a shot that you can take. What people are trying to do is induce the human body to do something it can't naturally do, which is repair the spinal cord. No one who get's their foot cut off goes around thinking that there is going to be some cure that will grow them a new foot, yet I see a lot of that mindset here.

Maybe in a few years we will know enough to say "put all our money here, this is the path" but we aren't there yet. We need a lot of smart people trying a lot of different things if we ever want to walk again. We should encourage all people trying to help us and since there is such limited funding choose carefully where our donations go but not attack or try and stifle other research.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jsilver View Post
    Thanks Wise.

Dear CC community,

We are all in this together and until we help those with SCI get better we will not rest. Good heated scientific debate stirs passion and helps maintain our focus on what is really important...to develop real solutions to cure chronic spinal cord injury. I stirred the pot yet again. Ch'ase has, indeed, been shown to be effective after a contusive type of injury. Importantly, we will report shortly the development of a second generation and markedly improved strategy that works better than ch'ase to overcome CSPG mediated inhibition. The new therapy is highly effective in restoring function (locomotion and bladder function) after severe contusive injury using a simple, systemic route of administration. This time around we don't need Acorda and we have a much easier road to clinical trials. I still think I have a few good ideas left in this old brain and I have and will continue to dedicate most of what I think about to the SCI community.
    Thank you Dr.Silver,

Is your systemic therapy applicable for chronic SCI?

jerry, when will you be able to elaborate more in-depth on this new potential therapy that works better than Chase?
    Does it have a name
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

t8burst; no arguement there.

anthony

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    jerry, when will you be able to elaborate more in-depth on this new potential therapy that works better than Chase?
    Does it have a name
    Hi Lunasicc,

It was nice to meet you and your parents at W2W last year. I don't often post anymore, but saw that you made an inquiry and thought I'd share with you what I know.

You are probably already aware from our newsletters that Dr. Silver will be at W2W again this year. I've asked him to present information on his new discovery and the other research in his lab. He is also one of the scientists that is part of the collaboration U2FP is organizing. With some generous contributions from advocates, he will begin to work on a chronic injury model and apply this new discovery to the chronic model. He is already collaborating with other labs to move this piece of research forward.

Members of the U2FP team have been to his lab twice in the recent months to learn more about this piece of research and will make every effort to share the information as it becomes available.

I hope this is somewhat helpful and you have an opportunity to join us in November.
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr