Page 76 of 287 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677787980818283848586126176 ... LastLast

Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    You can find the answer in his 737 post,

In my book this is almost the worst case scenario.
    Thanks Isildur,

so we have "some" people with chronic SCI ASIA A that were not walking and now they walk.

Now I have more questions:

1) which level are they?

2) how are they walking? Did they recover movements?
    For example a T10 can "walk" with braces in between bars or with that "walker" that they use in kunming.... perhaps that is what Wise meant for walking?

I think I need to look up in a dictionary the definition of walking

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

walkingpresent participle of walk (Verb)

Verb:
    • Move at a regular and fairly slow pace by lifting and setting down each foot in turn, never having both feet off the ground at once.

Quote Originally Posted by walkingagain View Post
    Thank you Dr. Young and everyone that has spent so much dedication to make this happen. Dr. Young, your speeches are so clear and easy to understand. You give many people so much to look forward to!

I saved both of my childrens blood cord stem cell with Viacord. How would I find out if they are a match to mine? Would it be possible to use their cord blood in the future if they are a match? Would this cheapen the cost of having stem cell surgery if they were a good match? When the cord blood of both children was taken they only used one bag for each of them. I have been told once a bag has been opened the bag is no longer good. I can see a benefit for the cord blood companies to use more than one bag in case more than one use of the cord blood is needed.

Can you provide the names of the doctors that will be doing the surgeries in Austin?

You spoke about the cost of $120,000 for the therapy, which could be cut down to $60,000. Would this include the surgery, stem cell and the therapy? Once proven and used as a treatment in the US do you think this would this be the ball park cost of the total procedure and physical therapy to follow? I ask because currently my husband and I might avoid buying a house to save the money to afford to do this treatment thru a trial or after it is proven in case medicare doesn't cover the cost. I'm sure other SCI's out there would need some time to put that amount of money together.

Your idea of a community walking program is wonderful! I think people would love to donate their time to physically helping a person walk! Couldn't the treatment facilities and your trial have waivers to avoid lawsuits? Once knee locking is established would water walking also help to reduce physical therapist costs and patient injuries? It seems like recovering patients could water walk without injury and without a physical therapist. I know there is alot of resistance in water walking but I don't know how much it retrains the SCI patient.

Thanks again for all your hard work and dedication! You are amazing!
    Walkingagain,

Thanks for your compliments. Let me try to answer your questions in sequence:

1. Regarding your children's cord blood, they have half of your genes (the other half comes from your husband). So, for sure, you will have at least 3:6 HLA match. The extent of a match between you and your children depends on how different your husband's genes are from yours. If you share one or more HLA genes with your husband, then the likelihood that you will have a 4:6 or better HLA match is high.

2. Our investigators in Brackenridge Hopsital in Austin are Charlotte Smith and Keith Kemper, respectively rehabilitation doctor and neurosurgeon.

3. The cost is what I estimate are the clinical trial costs for one patient being hospitalized for three days for surgery and then having outpatient rehabilitation for 6 weeks. Actual costs may be significantly higher because it does not include the cost of the cells or doctor costs. Complications that may extend the length of hospital stay. Please, do not avoid buying a house or do anything silly like that in order to save for the therapy. If the trial is successful, I believe that it will be covered by insurance.

4. A person cannot legally waive his or her rights. People need to understand that liability is one of the main reasons why rehabilitation therapy is so expensive. If walking can be facilitated by trainers who earn $10/hour compared to $100/hour, this reduce the cost of walking by more than tenfold. Regarding water walking, this does not require a very large or expensive pool. It just requires a pool that is deep enough to float a person so that he/she can do stand with water up to the chest. This can even be done at home, using an exercise pool.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Wise,

since you are scientist I assume the patients have been examined to quantify the "some response" and based on the scientific evidence of the improvements you decided to go forward with the phase III.

So did any patient asia A recover walking after receiving the therapy?

Paolo
    You will have to wait until all the 6-month recovery data is analyzed and we publish the results. That data will not be available until October.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 06-06-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Wise your presentation offers hope and as usual is somewhat vague. I understand your reluctedness to disclose improvements because of criticism and you want to operate in the confines of strict clinical trials. You did mention that you saw growth of nerve cells through the injury zone. I think you sai dthat this was th efirst tie this was obsevered. correct me if I'm wrong. I think you said that it would be several months to see if they reconnect; is that right? This would seem to be a suuccess of the therapy at this time. If this is correct , could you further explain? thanks in advance.

anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    You will have to wait until all the 6-month recovery data is analyzed and we publish the results. That data will not be available until October.

Wise.
    Wise I hope you don't mind me acting as a "devil's advocate", someone has to do it since DA left CareCure and I am sure is no probem for you to face it.

BTW was my assumption correct?

(I assume the patients have been examined to quantify the "some response" and based on the scientific evidence of the improvements you decided to go forward with the phase III.)

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    walkingpresent participle of walk (Verb)

Verb:
    • Move at a regular and fairly slow pace by lifting and setting down each foot in turn, never having both feet off the ground at once.
    Thanks B314mx,
    so now we are all on the same page and some misunderstandings should be prevented

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post

Wise.
    Why can't you tell us some - more precise - personal observation? Just one more "SCINet leak", c'mon

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Why can't you tell us some - more precise - personal observation? Just one more "SCINet leak", c'mon

Paolo
    i agree. i mean, the cats out of the bag now. might as well clear it up the best you can to control the speculation.

Barrignton ad Paolo, you guys are right on. what we need is now. what Wise needs is credibility and he risks that if he lets the cat out of the bag now. the question I have is Wise clearly said he saw nerves growing through the injury site. My question is; Wise , is this the first time this has been observed and does this show efficay?

Anthony