Page 56 of 288 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106156 ... LastLast

Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Kyle,

In human, the phrenic nucleus is located at C3, C4, and C5. In rat and most subprimate species, it is located at C4 and C5. It is very plastic. Just the part of the nucleus at C3 is able to do much of the breathing. For that reason, most people who have had C4/5 injuries often are able to wean off the ventilator.

In our clinical trials, because we are injecting the cells into the spinal cord above and below the injury site, we did not want to inject cells into the phrenic nucleus and potentially damage it. That is why we have limited the cases to C5 neurological level (the subjects should have good biceps).

Let me illustrate. A person has an injury to the C5 spinal cord, that person may have a C4 neurological level (i.e. the lowest "intact" level). In such a case, we would be injecting into C3 or into the margin between C3 and C4 for the transplant above the injury site.

We didn't want to take the risk of damaging the remaining phrenic nucleus. If our trials show that the cell transplants are safe and beneficial, we plan to propose a clinical trial for C4 tetraplegics or higher by injecting into the injury site and below the injury site but not above the injury site.

Wise.
    I heard that. And learned it before about my highest level of C4 at injury, I am waiting until safety will be proven in lower injuries.... Everybody knows it will..... I am just waiting for that... Safety.... No duhhhhh, I can already see that it's safe at C5
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

expected completion date

It is not appropriate to talk about the recovery in detail because the trial is still ongoing. Please be patient.

Wise.
    When is this trial expected to be completed. I will look st previous post to find the answer.....if it is there. Do not reply.
    Or if anyone know off hand please save me some time.

Quote Originally Posted by RedOne_Canada View Post
    When is this trial expected to be completed. I will look st previous post to find the answer.....if it is there. Do not reply.
    Or if anyone know off hand please save me some time.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Jawaid and lunasicc42,

At the present, the lumbosacral studies are preclinical, i.e. being done in animals. I don't know enough yet to predict any therapeutic effect or plan. The data is not likely to be available for another year (or more). Chronic animal spinal cord injury experiments take a long time and a huge amount of work.

We are significantly behind our schedule for both the Hong Kong and Kunming trials. Of 40 planned subjects (20 in Hong Kong and 20 in Kunming), we have only 8 in Hong Kong and 18 in Kunming. Only several patients have reached their one year post-transplantation time and only two patients have received the highest dose with MP and lithium.

I met with the investigators and we have agreed on a plan to complete recruitment for the trial by the end of March. In Hong Kong, we are applying to regulatory authorities for permission to study only four more patients. If they agree, we will do transplant 2 patients in Kunming and 4 in Hong Kong by the end of March.

This unfortunately sets our schedule back. We will not be able to apply for an IND in the US until May or later. I had not anticipated that it would take so long to recruit patients for Hong Kong and that it would take us more than a year to get the import license for the cells into China. However, the trials themselves are going well. The investigators are collecting the data.

Wise.

I don't know very much about Dr. Li's studies. Sounds like mostly preclinical (animal) studies. If I find out, I will post. here is a Google Translate of the web site:

Wise.

dear wise ,you can find his papers in these magazines.

1Xiaoguang Li, Zhaoyang Yang, Aifeng Zhang , Tailing Wang , Weichang Chen. Repair of thoracic spinal cord injury by chitosan tube implantation in adult rats.
    Biomaterials 30(2009)1121-1132(责任作者)
    2Xiaoguang Li, Zhaoyang Yang ,Aifeng Zhang. The effect of rotrophin-3/chitosan carriers on the proliferation and differentiation of neural stem cells.
    Biomaterials 30 (2009) 49784985(责任作者)
    3Linhong Mo, Zhaoyang Yang, Aifeng Zhang ,Xiaoguang Li . The repair of the injured adult rat hippocampus with NT-3-chitosan carriers Biomaterials.
    Biomaterials 31 (2010) 21842192(责任作者)
    4Zhaoyang Yang Hongmei Duan Linhong Mo,Hui Qiao Xiaoguang Li The effect of the dosage ofNT-3/chitosan carriers on the proliferation and differentiation of neural stem cells.
    Biomaterials 31 (2010) 48464854

Quote Originally Posted by east dragon View Post
    dear wise ,you can find his papers in these magazines.

1Xiaoguang Li, Zhaoyang Yang, Aifeng Zhang , Tailing Wang , Weichang Chen. Repair of thoracic spinal cord injury by chitosan tube implantation in adult rats.
    Biomaterials 30(2009)1121-1132(责任作者)
    2Xiaoguang Li, Zhaoyang Yang ,Aifeng Zhang. The effect of rotrophin-3/chitosan carriers on the proliferation and differentiation of neural stem cells.
    Biomaterials 30 (2009) 49784985(责任作者)
    3Linhong Mo, Zhaoyang Yang, Aifeng Zhang ,Xiaoguang Li . The repair of the injured adult rat hippocampus with NT-3-chitosan carriers Biomaterials.
    Biomaterials 31 (2010) 21842192(责任作者)
    4Zhaoyang Yang Hongmei Duan Linhong Mo,Hui Qiao Xiaoguang Li The effect of the dosage ofNT-3/chitosan carriers on the proliferation and differentiation of neural stem cells.
    Biomaterials 31 (2010) 48464854

His introduction and how to contact

http://bme.buaa.edu.cn/teacherInfo.a...D=35&curID=116

Wise what you think about chondroitinase for bladder and other functions?

Anything new from this Friday's Open House?

Wise have u received grants for lumbosacral research which you are doing already?

You told me that hopefully u will be able to start trial for lumbosacral injury patients in 2013. So are you sure about that? Which combination therapy will be best for lumbosacral injuries along with neural cells?

I am sure you will be able to start trial some where in 2013 hopefully which is needed badly and also try ur best to participate foreign patients like me in trial too.

Dr. Wise,

Please give us some updates, is been a while ago now

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Johnnie Walked; 02-21-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    keep (rolling) Walking

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Dear Wise will you be attending 8th Asia Pacific Symposium on neural regeneration in April in Taiwan? I hope there will be more to know about progress for spinal injury. Then in May you are there in Xi'an. You will be surely deciding about ur upcoming trial with neural stem cells or may be some other source of stem cells.

Hope u will keep updated.