Page 55 of 291 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465105155 ... LastLast

Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    i still would love to know more than, "some" patients are getting "some" recovery.
    also, if its some patients and some recovery, whats the chances that it could just be the decompression?
    It is not appropriate to talk about the recovery in detail because the trial is still ongoing. Please be patient.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin83 View Post
    I thought the list on u2fp was clinical trials
    Colin83,

You are correct. U2FP is listing so-called clinical trials overseas.

Much depends on your definition of clinical trials. If a clinic is just offering an experimental therapy that people pay for, there is little or no attempt to do rigorous followup studies to determine the outcomes of the therapy, and the results are not published in peer-reviewed journals, this would not qualify as a clinical trial.

A clinical trial purpose is to provide convincing evidence that a treatment is safe and effective. When a trial does not do this, it has not accomplished its goal. For example, Hongyun Huang has now transplanted fetal olfactory ensheathing into more than 1000 patients with chronic spinal cord injury. He has shown that the treatment is safe and has seen sensory and even motor recovery in many patients. Yet, the world does not believe in the therapy and nobody outside of China is adopting the therapy, because he did not do rigorously randomized controlled trials.

Clinical trials are also usually approved by regulatory agencies because one important goal of clinical trials is also to convince regulatory agencies to approve the therapy. Most of the clinical trials in China (except for ChinaSCINet) have not been approved by regulatory authorities. That is one of the reasons why China recently announced that they are going to close all non-approved clinical trials in China. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=175378

Relatively few overseas clinical trials have been approved by regulatory agencies. ChinaSCINet trial has had several trials in China. The Stem Cells Inc. trial in Switzerland. The clinicaltrials.gov site lists other trials. Note that announcement of a trial on clinicaltrials.gov does not necessarily mean that the trial has been approved by regulatory agencies. However, if a trial is listed on clinicaltrials.gov, it is reassuring that it is legitimate.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 01-23-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Wise you know about Dr Xiao Guang Li? He is from capital university of medical sciences Beijing and involved in starting trial with scaffolds and neural cells? Have got 3 million dollar grant recently. Also approved by authorities according to East Dragon CC Member from china

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Wise you know about Dr Xiao Guang Li? He is from capital university of medical sciences Beijing and involved in starting trial with scaffolds and neural cells? Have got 3 million dollar grant recently. Also approved by authorities according to East Dragon CC Member from china
    dear Jawaid,I give you a link about dr xiaoguang li's trial,you may use google translate it.

http://www.bioon.com/industry/biotech/449614.shtml

call mumber: 86-
    010-65296114/65124875;88068177

his personal profiles:
    http://ysk.39.net/bj/yisheng/5370a.html
    Last edited by east dragon; 01-23-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Dear East Dragon thank u but i could not open it. Actually dont know how to translate it. Well i m sure u will contact him to get details about his trial.
    For my kind of lumbar injury i need neural stem cells and possibly chase which can give more results for my bladder bowel and sexual recovery.

All eyes for chase to come soon and neural stem cell trials. Let us see what brings 2012 for me and for all us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    I don't know very much about Dr. Li's studies. Sounds like mostly preclinical (animal) studies. If I find out, I will post. here is a Google Translate of the web site:

Large capital bioactive scaffolds medical allowed to enter clinical
    Author Institution: Google Source: Health News 2010-8-2 10:59:32
    Recently, by the Capital Medical University Professor Li Xiaoguang group developed the induction of nerve regeneration activity of bioactive scaffolds through the test, allowed to enter clinical trials, and has become the first induction into the clinical study nerve regeneration activity of biological scaffolds.

Professor Li Xiaoguang group in the national "Eleventh Five-Year", "863", "Stem Cells and Tissue Engineering," the support of major projects, with tissue engineering methods of study, the combination of neurotrophic factors in biological scaffolds, and controlled release of neurotrophic factors to Bracket play medical materials, neurotrophic factors and effects of autologous cell populations, improve local micro-environment of spinal cord injury, axons of nerve cells to induce growth, maturation and synapse with the target tissue to re-establish contact. After morphological, electrophysiological and behavioral assessment test to prove that the holder can make the animal morphology of the spinal cord injury regeneration, reconstruction and improvement of some of the physiological function of behavioral disorders; to repair spinal cord 5 mm defect in rat and monkey spinal cord 1 cm defect, and damage in rat hippocampal CA1 area, and to learning and memory in rats and spatial cognitive functions are varying degrees of recovery. ( Bio Valley Bioon.com)
    Wise.

It's interesting to follow the latest research. My injury was at c4/5 16 years ago and is incomplete.
    Will injuries like mine be tough do deal with because of the phrenic nucleus location is at the site of injury?

Thank you, Dr. Wise

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    It's interesting to follow the latest research. My injury was at c4/5 16 years ago and is incomplete.
    Will injuries like mine be tough do deal with because of the phrenic nucleus location is at the site of injury?
    Kyle,

In human, the phrenic nucleus is located at C3, C4, and C5. In rat and most subprimate species, it is located at C4 and C5. It is very plastic. Just the part of the nucleus at C3 is able to do much of the breathing. For that reason, most people who have had C4/5 injuries often are able to wean off the ventilator.

In our clinical trials, because we are injecting the cells into the spinal cord above and below the injury site, we did not want to inject cells into the phrenic nucleus and potentially damage it. That is why we have limited the cases to C5 neurological level (the subjects should have good biceps).

Let me illustrate. A person has an injury to the C5 spinal cord, that person may have a C4 neurological level (i.e. the lowest "intact" level). In such a case, we would be injecting into C3 or into the margin between C3 and C4 for the transplant above the injury site.

We didn't want to take the risk of damaging the remaining phrenic nucleus. If our trials show that the cell transplants are safe and beneficial, we plan to propose a clinical trial for C4 tetraplegics or higher by injecting into the injury site and below the injury site but not above the injury site.

Wise.

Kyle, just when we think that Wise has replied to everything he knows! You ask a question and he replies. this guy is amazing. anyway this should give us hope for something positve to come out of his trials. Let;s hope he can give us a surprise on the upside. Something like , we are able to push the trials in the USA forward sooner rather than later.