Page 49 of 287 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999149 ... LastLast

Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    How much more wait dear Wise?

Is something happening anywhere which can be beneficial for my bladder bowel sexual recovery and not risky also?

I am sure you will have in eye all the work being done.
    Many doctors say that it will be very risky in my case to give injections of stem cells direct at injury site of my L1 as i can walk.

What u say Wise? Will any stem cell therapy cure my deficits alone or with some combination therapy? If combination then what will be that?

Thank you for being loving always.
    Jawaid,

As you know, if I knew an answer to your questions, I would be posting them right away. At the present, much work still needs to be done to develop methods to restore function to lumbosacral spinal cord injuries. We have started research in this area and we are investing our time and effort into adult sources of neural stem cells, derived from MUSE cells. We have applied for grants and started experiments in this area but have no results to report yet.

In the meantime, we are trying to finish our phase 2 UCBMC and lithium trials in China so that we can apply for and start the phase 3 trials in China, U.S., Norway, and possibly in India. Our trials will tell us by the end of 2012 whether UCBMC and lithium are likely to restore function to people with chronic spinal cord injury. If we see a favorable trend, we will of course go ahead to confirm this in a phase 3 trial. If not, we will say that it does not work and go ahead to study other cells and combination therapies.

Among the therapies that we are planning to test would be neural stem cell transplants into the lumbosacral cord to see if such transplants will restore lumbosacral neural circuits, reinnervate muscle, and restore sensory function. We are setting up a model of lumbosacral spinal cord injury in rats and working hard to isolate and characterize neural stem cells from various sources to test in the model. I can't predict how long this will take but I hope to have enough results to persuade my colleagues at ChinaSCINet to test such cells by the time the UCBMC+lithium trials are completed.

Wise.

Wise.

dr. wise young, how much function has to be recovered to go ahead with a phase 3 trial? examples please?

Wise, I sincerely hope this isn't the case but, should the lithium/ cord blood treatment not work do you already have an alternative therapy in mind for mid thoracic injuries that can be phased in immedetiately? While I know you are being as efficient as possible, many years are going to pass if therapies fail

Nice dear Wise.

I hope u start trials for lumbosacral injuries later in 2012 or by early 2013.

Will it be only neural cells or with combination? Which combination is going to work in lumbar injuries wise?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    Wise, I sincerely hope this isn't the case but, should the lithium/ cord blood treatment not work do you already have an alternative therapy in mind for mid thoracic injuries that can be phased in immedetiately? While I know you are being as efficient as possible, many years are going to pass if therapies fail
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...&postcount=351

Christopher,

If umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells UCBMC and lithium show any benefit, it will become the standard therapy. It UCBMC is effective, further clinical trials would compare new therapies against UCBMC+Li. We are of course now looking at the next set of therapies. It takes years to prepare therapies for trial. Believe me, I have no interest in holding back any therapy if data supports its use.

Wise.

We are holding workshops and consensus conferences to look at new therapies. Whether umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells (UCBMC) and lithium are effective or not, we will need to look for new therapies. If UCBMC+lithium restores function, we need to look at other therapies, such a neural stem cells and see if they are better than UCBMC+lithium. Other possibilities include the olfactory ensheathing glia (OEG) and perhaps combinations of UCBMC and OEG. There is also the possibility of iPS or induced neuronal progenitors (iNP), etc. We may consider combining UCBMC+lithium and nogo antibody, chondroitinase, nogo receptor blocker, cethrin, and other axonal inhibitor blockers.

On May 5-8, 2012, at the Fifth International Spinal Cord Injury Treatment and Trials Symposium (ISCITT5) and International Association of Neurorestorology (IANR) in Xi'an, we will be inviting several companies that have cells that are ready for clinical trials to present to us. So, we are systematically looking for new candidate therapies to compare against UCBMC+lithium to test in 2013.

Wise.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...&postcount=345
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 11-17-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Wise how u will be injecting neural cells into lumbosacral injuries? Direct at injury site through surgery or some other method? Which method can be applied on me? Will it not be risky to inject through surgery in my case or it will not be risky?

Thanks for the update Wise - glad to hear you've started research in restoring function to lumbosacral spinal cord injuries. Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Acute and subacute? I thought Wise's trail was for us cronics.
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Moe,

I... don't care about what I think ... you should just ignore my posts.

I don't understand ... words.

Paolo

Jawaid...you need to take a chill pill. If you keep bugging Dr. Young with all these questions about your specific and personal condition, he'll never be able to finish his work in China! Don't bother the man while he's hard at work!

Just relax...you are in a lot better shape than the rest of us...you can WALK! Enjoy life in the here and now, and please be patient. Everyone is desperate for promising results, but you badgering the good doctor over and over again with these individual-based questions is just clogging up the thread and not beneficial to you, Wise, or the rest of us.

Seriously, chill out man. It makes life (and waiting) a lot easier. When the answers are there, we will know.