Page 48 of 287 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898148 ... LastLast

Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Dr. Young,

I have read and heard you mention that axonal growth could take many months to cross an injury site and reach its target. How did you decide on six weeks as the duration for administering the lithium?

Thank you.

Smile

kofQ,

Human axon growth rates can reach 2 mm/day in small nerves and 5 mm/day in large nerves. It will take a time, but we don't care we can wait as long we know that the nerves are growing again right?

manouli.

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    kofQ,

Human axon growth rates can reach 2 mm/day in small nerves and 5 mm/day in large nerves. It will take a time, but we don't care we can wait as long we know that the nerves are growing again right?

manouli.
    I agree, but why not give the lithoum for 12 or 16 weeks?
    I was just wondering how Wise chose six weeks duration to test this variable.

As Wise knows and many other friends here too that i can walk easily like normal person after my L1 injury but have lost bladder bowel and sexual function.

Few doctors say that stem cell therapy will not cure my deficits. What you say Wise?
    Will stem cells cure my deficits or not? If cure then which way of transplant cells will be better for my injury? Direct injections at injury site or some other way? Can it not be risky to inject directly in my case when i m walking?

Dr Wise plz reply my question and worries. Should i go for stem cell injections through lumbar puncture or wait for some time for my kind of injury?

Also let us know about south korea. What is going on there? You told some times ago that a big stem cell center is to start there soon. Will they be trying all kind of stem cells at their hospital along with combination therapies?

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Dr Wise plz reply my question and worries. Should i go for stem cell injections through lumbar puncture or wait for some time for my kind of injury?

Also let us know about south korea. What is going on there? You told some times ago that a big stem cell center is to start there soon. Will they be trying all kind of stem cells at their hospital along with combination therapies?
    Please wait. There is no convincing evidence yet that intrathecal administratin of stem cells of any kind is beneficial.

To my knowledge, such a center has not yet started in Korea.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Please wait. There is no convincing evidence yet that intrathecal administratin of stem cells of any kind is beneficial.

To my knowledge, such a center has not yet started in Korea.

Wise.
    dr wise,How do you evaluate the geron stop their clinical trials ?

How much more wait dear Wise?

Is something happening anywhere which can be beneficial for my bladder bowel sexual recovery and not risky also?

I am sure you will have in eye all the work being done.
    Many doctors say that it will be very risky in my case to give injections of stem cells direct at injury site of my L1 as i can walk.

What u say Wise? Will any stem cell therapy cure my deficits alone or with some combination therapy? If combination then what will be that?

Thank you for being loving always.

Quote Originally Posted by east dragon View Post
    dr wise,How do you evaluate the geron stop their clinical trials ?
    East dragon,

I don't think that there is any more to their decision other than what has been said. Geron has invested a great deal into their embryonic stem cell trial, including over $40 million of preclinical development and an anticipated $25 million into the clinical trial itself. They had approached me several years ago, when they were having trouble getting the approval of the trial from the FDA, to see if ChinaSCINet was willing to test the cells. I told them that we would like to except that China will not allow "first-in-human" trials in China from overseas companies and that phase 1 trials need to be completed before the cells can be transplanted in patients in China. I was awaiting the results of this trial.

The writing has been on the wall for a while. In February 2011, Geron announced that its long-time CEO and champion of its embryonic stem cell program, Tom Okarma, was stepping down from his position as CEO (Source). Then, we learned 6 weeks ago, that Ed Wirth, who headed the embryonic stem cell project has already left Geron to join In Vivo Therapeutics and there was no announcement of any replacement. Now, we find out that Geron is stopping the program and is looking for a partner to help with the project. What happened is not a surprise.

I don't know if any or what company will step up to partner with Geron on this project. That is obviously the crucial step that will ensure the future of this particular technology. The fact that Geron returned the $6 million installment of the $25 million loan provided by California Institute of Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) suggests that they are not expecting this trial to continue whether or not they find a partner. Their plan to let go of 65 of 175 employees also gives a similar message, i.e. they have not found a partner.

The departure of Geron from the field leaves only one other company that is still pursuing embryonic stem cell therapies in clinical trials: Advanced Cell Technology (Source). Incidentally, Geron was founded by Dr. Michael West (Source), who left the company to found Advanced Cell Technology.

Wise.

Thanks so much dr wise,You Are The Sunshine Of My Life.