Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I am totally speculating because we haven't yet interviewed the trial subjects, but because sexual function is programmed in the spinal cord (CPG) just like walking, bowel, and bladder, it would make sense that it may also return. Money is now being raised to bring the subjects back for complete examinations.
    Does this mean it would be just getting it up, no sensation?

Have there been any sensory gains with this trial? Apologies if it was mentioned before.

Quote Originally Posted by niallel View Post
    Sensation, sensation, sensation - surely thats the most important (well to me anyways)
    Gawd no. Not without return of function. Can you imagine still needing to cath and feeling everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Gawd no. Not without return of function. Can you imagine still needing to cath and feeling everything?
    Aack! Do they make a coude in a French size 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Hmmm, good point. I would imagine its not such a nice feeling, but wonder how much in comparison to the benefits of getting your rocks off.

Seriously I think these are the real things we need to know, not just for this trial but all of them.
    No one really talks about the practicalities.

Congrats! Quick question: Did any quads gain arm and hand dexterity?

Hey Chaz,

To my knowledge there has been no change in hand/finger dexterity.
    In the upcoming IIb trials the subjects will be using stim units on hands/ankles to promote return of function.l
    I believe all muscles must be exercised in order to reestablish connections to return function.
    For example, the eight patients in Hong Kong received cell transplants and no intense physical therapy/6-6-6 walking program. None of them had return of function despite showing growth across the injury site at
    one year. Exercise is a must, now we need to figure out how much is necessary.

Expanded compassionate use, which is new, is available once the subjects are chosen for the phase II. We are told you will be able to apply online and get an answer in 48 hours.
    Hi Jim,
    I don't want to be overly optimistic but, from the sounds of it, could this possibly be available through compassionate use by this time next year? Or, if not, do you have an idea of a general timeline of when it might be available if beyond 12 months? Or maybe I should ask what the goal is. Considering if all goes well.
    Thanks,
    TW
    Last edited by tumbleweeds; 05-11-2016 at 04:30 PM.

The goal is to begin the trial early next year, so it should be available for expanded compassionate use as soon as the 27 subjects are enrolled in the trial. The cells will be available 'at cost', surgery, hospital stay, and physical therapy will be paid for by subject. I don't know if we will be able to negotiate with insurance to cover some cost. The total cost will be high.

The goal is to begin the trial early next year, so it should be available for expanded compassionate use as soon as the 27 subjects are enrolled in the trial. The cells will be available 'at cost', surgery, hospital stay, and physical therapy will be paid for by subject. I don't know if we will be able to negotiate with insurance to cover some cost. The total cost will be high.
    Great news Jim... could we get ball-park figure? I've got a few buyers lined up for my kidneys... just kidding haha!

Just a very loose approximation would be great, so I can start saving up and figuring out ways to make the money. Are we talking $30,000? $50,000? More?

I'm already blowimg dust off the mic and writing a song so that when I inevitably become a rockstar I will be able to afford it

Love you guys!

Hey Chaz,

To my knowledge there has been no change in hand/finger dexterity.
    In the upcoming IIb trials the subjects will be using stim units on hands/ankles to promote return of function.l
    I believe all muscles must be exercised in order to reestablish connections to return function.
    For example, the eight patients in Hong Kong received cell transplants and no intense physical therapy/6-6-6 walking program. None of them had return of function despite showing growth across the injury site at
    one year. Exercise is a must, now we need to figure out how much is necessary.
    Exactly I couldn't agree more, it's very exciting this trial is being a testament to that being fact. I also understand from talking to Dr. Young quite sometime ago that he is looking to incorporate vibration therapy to help induce sensory recovery. I found this very interesting as well as exciting, because it's so ingenious I could see exactly how that would be the perfect approach to stimulating sensory function!