Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone57 View Post
    Do you think they would expand trials and continue with no results? Would that make sense? I don't know....very confusing
    Yes , that is one of the main things that keep me hopeful ...I am 'thinking' that they wouldn't be able to move the trials to phase three unless there were some good initial results ...but thats just my hope ...its not based on anything solid ...and I feel bad because when wise showed videos the feeling of the pitch was like: "see! See! the walking is not robotic at all!". But Honestly everything that I have had the privilege of seeing in these stages look pretty robotic and labored to me. I hope that I am just Jumping the gun and that wise has an ace up his sleeve and I am basing my worries on stale information.
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

yes Jim I remember that ...you know the mind of a long term quad and the hope of a good treatment can drive the mind wild ...waiting is the haaaardest part!

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Martin,

We are now discussing IND (initial new drug/device) applications with a CRO (clinical research organization) about applying to for clinical trials in different countries. I of course know many of the groups in Australia. If it looks as if we can get permission to do the trial in Australia, raise the funds, and include Australia in the trial without much expense or trouble, that would be great.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    "Also, I want to say that we are seriously considering expanding our trial to Australia and New Zealand"
    Hi Dr Young
    Thankyou so much for your great work, I have been following all your posts for 15 years and met you in Sydney when CR was out. I don't post much to you as I never want to use any of your precious time on reading my post that could be used for the ultimate goal. It's very exciting that you are considering expanding your trial to include Australia & NZ.
    Is there any way that we can help make this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    That makes a lot of sense. But in the phase II trial you also stated that a few subjects regained some bowel and bladder control, I don't believe you made any statements about functional training in reguards those early functions via biofeedback or something. Any idea why the subjects seen return with those functions, even though there was actually no functional rehab after cell transplants?
    We did not do any training of bladder and bowel function in our trial. We will need to bring the subjects back for further studies to confirm the mechanisms but apparently the locomotor training in Kunming was associated with bowel and bladder improvement. Note that Susie Harkema's patients in Louisville apparently also have reported improved bladder and bowel function although this was not documented in their published report.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Dan,
    I have proposed to Stemcyte (the company providing the umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells) that they apply for expanded use access after the phase III trial starts in 2015. I am working closely with the company to help them expand the production of the cells so that it can treat thousands of people. So far, the company has provided several hundred units of umbilical cord blood for the clinical trials.

Wise.
    As I understand it from the above quote that Stemcyte is providing the stem cells for ChinaSCINet. But what is the role of Neuralstem or Geron Corp in ChinaSCINet, if any? I see all three companies are mentioned from time to time but I'm not sure how Neuralstem or Geron are involved. Can someone please clarify?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweeds View Post
    As I understand it from the above quote that Stemcyte is providing the stem cells for ChinaSCINet. But what is the role of Neuralstem or Geron Corp in ChinaSCINet, if any? I see all three companies are mentioned from time to time but I'm not sure how Neuralstem or Geron are involved. Can someone please clarify?
    Thank you.

Did you say 'Geron'?...Ahhhhh the Memories.

Geron is out of this business and Asterias has bought the stem cell line and intellectual property rights.

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    Did you say 'Geron'?...Ahhhhh the Memories.

Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post
    Geron is out of this business and Asterias has bought the stem cell line and intellectual property rights.
    I know, I was trying to be comical

Sorry, I missed your intent. :-) Ed Wirth is with Asterias.

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    I know, I was trying to be comical

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweeds View Post
    Thank you.
    tumbleweeds,

We (ChinaSCINet) have had discussions with Neuralstem, Geron (when they were running the embryonic stem cells trials), Asterias, Stem Cells Inc. and other companies. In order to do the trials in China, they have to complete phase I trials in Europe or the U.S. first. China has a rule that first-in-human trials of therapies from outside China must first be shown to be safe in phase I trials before they can be done in China. If and when they are interested in carrying out trials in China or India, we would be happy to work with them.

Wise.