Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

I can't wait for getting treatment for neuropathic pain hope it happens in the State soon

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    Is the only difference from 102b to 103 the untethering surgery? And of course the number of patients. But 102b did not include untethering, correct?
    CN102b was the trial in Hong Kong (8 patients,) no walking program. CN103 was in Kunming (20 patients,)+ 6-6-6 walking program. If untethering was necessary, was performed in both groups.

Jim I didn't see the lithium dosages noted, were they there, are they published? Has anyone in the US out of a trial just said screw it and found a doc who'd try it? Mine might.

Ket

Ket, the dosage is the same as used to treat bipolar disorder. I think a few people may have asked their doctors to prescribe for off-label use. I can give you some info to present to your Dr. *Because the effective dose range is so close to the toxic dose, it is necessary to titrate the dose in each person by testing serum levels of the drug.

Quote Originally Posted by ketamine kitty View Post
    Jim I didn't see the lithium dosages noted, were they there, are they published? Has anyone in the US out of a trial just said screw it and found a doc who'd try it? Mine might.

Ket
    Yes. My son tried it for 6 weeks with magnetic therapy after. Stem cells in China. Very minor side of nausea after 4weeks which was known ahead of time. But did not have neuropathic beforehand or after both treatments. No other side effects noticed. Lithium is a mineral. The dosages have to be tested with a blood test after about a week. The trick is to convince a doc to prescribe with no clue about its use or dosage. Goy dosage info from Dr young plus private message. It's worth a shot IMHO.

Just curious before anyone goes and tries the lithium on their own, would there be any reason to wait before trying it, since Dr Wise has included it in the trials in conjunction with the other parts of the treatment, does the lithium have a presumed benefit to the cell therapy as they are done together, and would taking it ahead of the cell therapy itself have any conflict, such as how often you can be given the lithium?

We will not know until the data is analyzed at the end of the phase III (projected to start mid 2015) whether lithium in combination with UMBC is a factor in recovery. Many millions of people take lithium every day for bipolar disorder so when it is taken under proper supervision, it is safe. I don't see a conflict in taking a 6 week course of lithium to relieve neuropathic pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    There are 2 trials.

CN302 Lithium for Neuropathic Pain
    As the CN102a study suggested the effect, this trial is to evaluate the efficacy of lithium in treating neuropathic pain in patients with spinal cord injury. This trial is ongoing and 1/2 of the subjects are reporting that their pain is gone.

CN102b_KM: UCBMC Transplant with Rehabilitation Trial 15 of the 20 subjects in this trial are able to walk using a upper body supporting rolling walker. 2 of the 15 are able to walk using a four point walker. Bowel and bladder improvement has also been reported. A phase III clinical trial is now being planned for mid 2015 in China, India, US, & Norway-
    What about the acute injury, UCB + lithium trial? What are the preliminary results for that one?

Quote Originally Posted by ketamine kitty View Post

Ket
    I tried it. 300 mgs twice a day for a month. I experiencing tremors as side effects and no appreciable change in the pain so for the following 2 weeks I cut it down to 300mgs once a day and then none at all. It was very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    What about the acute injury, UCB + lithium trial? What are the preliminary results for that one?
    I'm not up-to-speed on that trial.