Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Minimal return.

If you think about it, motor return will probably require intense training of each muscle in order to rebuild the muscle itself and reestablish a 'connection.'

Yeah but if the patients that are 'walking and bearing their own weight' as mentioned earlier, how come that it didn't require intensive individual muscle training? (Or did it?) Didn't The CPG recognize the walking movements and the patient bared his/her own weight? I mean, based on previous posts, I had the impression that the 'connection' was done first, then the walking training was done afterwards to strength the muscles...?
    Last edited by Moe; 09-20-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post

Yeah but if the patients that are 'walking and bearing their own weight' as mentioned earlier, how come that it didn't require intensive individual muscle training? (Or did it?) Didn't The CPG recognize the walking movements and the patient bared his/her own weight? I mean, based on previous posts, I had the impression that the 'connection' was done first, then the walking training was done afterwards to strength the muscles...?
    I think what Jim means is that" there was no motor return" in case of the subjects who were only given lithium plus some motor training. Please correct me if I interpreted it incorrectly.

Jim was talking about the Lithium only trial for nerve pain. Not the trial were all waiting the results on to go to phase III. Is that correct Jim?
    Last edited by #LHB#; 09-21-2014 at 08:55 AM.

oh ok, didn't know there were two separate therapies being discussed. Although I understand that pain relief is very good, very serious and many people struggle with chronic pain in the sci community i would think there wouldn't be as large expectations and confidence in proceeding to phase 3 if the trial only showed positives in pain relief.

When will this trial happen in the USA? I'm L1 L2 and I'm having so much pain to the point that I would do anything just to get rid of this pain. Anyway I can get this treatment in China?

In preparation for the umbilical cord and lithium treatment, would it behoove us to provide our own umbilical cord blood cells? I have a great niece who is having a child in january who might provide the placental tissues for me.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

There are 2 trials.

CN302 Lithium for Neuropathic Pain
    As the CN102a study suggested the effect, this trial is to evaluate the efficacy of lithium in treating neuropathic pain in patients with spinal cord injury. This trial is ongoing and 1/2 of the subjects are reporting that their pain is gone.

CN102b_KM: UCBMC Transplant with Rehabilitation Trial 15 of the 20 subjects in this trial are able to walk using a upper body supporting rolling walker. 2 of the 15 are able to walk using a four point walker. Bowel and bladder improvement has also been reported. A phase III clinical trial is now being planned for mid 2015 in China, India, US, & Norway-

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  63.4 KB
    Last edited by Jim; 09-22-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    CN302 Lithium for Neuropathic Pain
    As the CN102a study suggested the effect, this trial is to evaluate the efficacy of lithium in treating neuropathic pain in patients with spinal cord injury. This trial is ongoing and 1/2 of the subjects are reporting that their pain is gone.
    Wasn't there a reduction of spasticity with lithium, as well? Any news on that?

Also, does the neuropathic pain return immediately if you stop taking lithium?

Thanks!

I don't believe there was a change in spasticity.

Lithium was given for 6 weeks and the pain didn't return at 6/12 months.

Is the only difference from 102b to 103 the untethering surgery? And of course the number of patients. But 102b did not include untethering, correct?