Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

The title of this just published paper (Journal of Translational Medecine), made by Chinese scientifists is : "Clinical observation of umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cell transplantation in treatment for sequelae of thoracolumbar spinal cord injury".
    Here is the paper : http://www.translational-medicine.co...014-0253-7.pdf
    Is it the Wise's paper we are all waiting for ?
    If not, has anyone been aware of the setup of this trial and does this outcome change anything for the phase III of ChinaSCINET trials (on FDA approval, IND status, etc) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    td_trust,

This is the web site of the Stem Cell Transplant Department of the General Hospital of the Chinese People's Armed Police Forces. i have met the head of this group and they are a serious group, sort of like an Army hospital but for the police. They are funded by the government but are apparently providing unproven therapies for pay.

I am not sure why they are allowed to do this. For example, the major military hospitals that are part of ChinaSCINet (including the Kunming Army General Hospital, the Beijing Army General Hospital, the PLA-301, the Third Military Medical University in Chongqing, and the Fourth Military Medical University in Xi'an) are not allowed to take care of non-Chinese citizens.

It is clear, however, that this group is well-equipped and part of a hospital that serves the Armed Police Forces. Starting perhaps a decade ago, the Chinese government began to allow many of their military hospitals to take care of private patients but not foreigners. Some of the military hospitals, however, have bought private hospitals and use them for foreigners.

Regarding the claim of CT-guided transplants, many places in China currently have CT-guided devices. We discussed the possibility of using such an approach and dismissed it for intraspinal transplants because we felt that this method allows too much of a risk of penetrating surface veins on the spinal cord. However, they decided to use it.

They are transplanting mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow and umbilical cord blood. They are treating patients with spinal cord injury, cerebral palsy, brain injury, and stroke.

Wise.
    I believe according to this post, it is indeed a different group.

Quote Originally Posted by spinedoctor View Post
    The title of this just published paper (Journal of Translational Medecine), made by Chinese scientifists is : "Clinical observation of umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cell transplantation in treatment for sequelae of thoracolumbar spinal cord injury".
    If not, has anyone been aware of the setup of this trial and does this outcome change anything for the phase III of ChinaSCINET trials (on FDA approval, IND status, etc) ?
    Hi, I think GRAMMY is right.

That trial used mesenchymal cells, as opposed to mononuclear cells.

It should be published very soon, by the end of this year as stated by Jim a few pages back.

Regards

I just watched the video rethinking spinal cord injury, Dr. Young spoke at the end of it about this clinical trial. I'm pretty sure he said a few of the patients went from an Asia A to an Asia B or C, wouldn't that mean there was return of sensation and/or movement?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    I just watched the video rethinking spinal cord injury, Dr. Young spoke at the end of it about this clinical trial. I'm pretty sure he said a few of the patients went from an Asia A to an Asia B or C, wouldn't that mean there was return of sensation and/or movement?
    Yes, people apparently walked. We'll have to wait for publication to get exact results.

Quote Originally Posted by taymas View Post
    Yes, people apparently walked. We'll have to wait for publication to get exact results.
    "You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
    The waiting is the hardest part"

"I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Our paper has been submitted and is under review. I am sorry that it is taking so long. The manuscript was returned by New England Journal of Medicine and PLOS Medicine without review. Both thought that the subject was too specialized and should be submitted to specialty journals. A high-impact journal is now reviewing the manuscript.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by spinedoctor View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Our paper has been submitted and is under review. I am sorry that it is taking so long. The manuscript was returned by New England Journal of Medicine and PLOS Medicine without review. Both thought that the subject was too specialized and should be submitted to specialty journals. A high-impact journal is now reviewing the manuscript.

Wise.
    Dear Dr.Young, any news with the Phase III aplication status or does it relay on the release of this phase I&ii publication first? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Yes, changing from Asia A to C would mean a change of sensation and/or movement. Plus in the video Dr. Young said 50% of the patients no longer used catheters.

I'm not sure if he was talking about the patients in the chronic trial or the acute trial that he is also doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ineedmyelin View Post
    "You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
    The waiting is the hardest part"

LOL you just made my day

And thanks for the update Dr Wise.

Nowhere Man, I'm not sure what source to go on. There was a video that showed no motor/sensory changes, and only in locomotion (different to motor, you could call it involuntary walking - but requires patient to initiate stepping... I'm guessing by thrusting body forwards using the arms).

This video was really old though, haven't seen the newer one yet.

Jim mentioned some bowel/bladder changes so that's probably more beneficial to a lot of SCI. We will have to wait and see how FUNCTIONAL this walking is. Either way I'd be the happiest man on Earth to be able to stand on a frame and attempt to move my legs, even with the help of someone physically moving it for me

And honestly, I can deal with my bowels fine (I'm complete, using suppositories and digital stim) as I can live with doing this. But I can't deal with catheters, and trauma to the urethra, the constant urinary tract infections.

Hoping it could at least get rid of the crippling nerve pain, as use of lithium suggests.

Gut Afternoonenhauben