Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    By your logic, they should have just skipped the human clinical trials too and immediately sold the UCB therapy to any customer. It would have saved at least 5 years and millions of dollars. Also, animal testing saves time and money in the larger scheme of things.
    by shear logic the therapy either works or it doesn't. which ever way leads to the most effective/efficient way of coming to that conclusion is best for us all. spending hundreds of millions and years of organization to find out something doesn't work does not seem effective or efficient (which gives credence your animal studies comment but the positive results there seeing may be connected to there deciding not to waste time with animal studies, how many pointless animal studies have we read about on this site over the years anyway)... well it may be effective but it is not efficient. regardless lets not knock the thread off course so i won't respond anymore as I have no other questions..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    by shear logic the therapy either works or it doesn't. which ever way leads to the most effective/efficient way of coming to that conclusion is best for us all. spending hundreds of millions and years of organization to find out something doesn't work does not seem effective or efficient (which gives credence your animal studies comment but the positive results there seeing may be connected to there deciding not to waste time with animal studies, how many pointless animal studies have we read about on this site over the years anyway)... well it may be effective but it is not efficient. regardless lets not knock the thread off course so i won't respond anymore as I have no other questions..
    +1

Rather than have fun at the lab with mice as a schoolboy scientist, they've also applied it to humans. That isn't to say that animal testing does not serve it's purpose - it can be useful for other conditions. But there have been countless animal studies.

By your logic, we might as well stay in our wheelchairs, Nowhere Man

Regards

Hey guys, maybe someone can help me. I just have a simple question about the Phase two trial. There were 15 patients out of 20 who were able to walk, and all complete, but was there any quad between them?
    From what I understood, and please correct me if I'm wrong, this therapy would give us back the involuntary walking, so while standing we give the command to our legs to walk and we start walking...or something... Even that this sounds strange for me and I would have much more questions I'll just skip to an other big concern I got. To be able to get on your feet, or to stand, or to walk with or without the help of a walker you not only need to move your legs but you also need movement in your upper body and to be able to use your arms and hands. Can someone explain if, or how will this therapy work for a quad? Thanks.
    Last edited by Silvio GS; 08-22-2014 at 03:55 PM.

I can't wait for your questions to be answered Silvio

I've been thinking about it too, for those of us with limited upper body strength, how will we stand?

And to what extent is this walking involuntary? We would love an answer. Either way, I fully support this trial.

Hope Dr Wise or Jim can answer - I did look at the Central Pattern Regulator, but can't find the answers.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Silvio GS View Post
    Hey guys, maybe someone can help me. I just have a simple question about the Phase two trial. There were 15 patients out of 20 who were able to walk, and all complete, but was there any quad between them?
    From what I understood, and please correct me if I'm wrong, this therapy would give us back the involuntary walking, so while standing we give the command to our legs to walk and we start walking...or something... Even that this sounds strange for me and I would have much more questions I'll just skip to an other big concern I got. To be able to get on your feet, or to stand, or to walk with or without the help of a walker you not only need to move your legs but you also need movement in your upper body and to be able to use your arms and hands. Can someone explain if, or how will this therapy work for a quad? Thanks.

I don't recall the breakdown of paras/quads but there were several quads in the trial.

"Involuntary walking," isn't accurate because the subjects must initiate stepping. Once they get going it becomes somewhat involuntary in a rhythm/flow sense but I wouldn't describe it as involuntary.

Attached is a graphic of the Kunming Locomotor Scale so you have an idea what the rolling walker looks like and what the different stages are. The person in the graphic was not a subject in the trial.

Name:  KM.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  162.6 KB

2 patients have got up to stage VI (6) right Jim?

Hello Jim,
    I am looking forward to Oct 3, open house. Will Dr. Wise be there to discuss current phase 3 status or does he need to wait until the papers are published? Just wondering. Thank you,
    Best Regards,
    Joe

Yes Barrington, don't know if they have progressed further.

Joe he will give an update on the latest.
    Last edited by Jim; 08-25-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Makes me wonder how their every day lives have changed, even if they havent got far enough to walk with zero assistance. For example, driving a car normally without hand controls. Im sure theres tons of little things like this that we just dont always think about but would be a nice improvement in our lives.