Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Hey Paolo, Happy 2014!

Wise is not beholden to Stemcyte, if Canada wanted to do the UBC trial and use cells from their own bank GMP certified bank, why do you assume it be a problem? The goal is to cure SCI.

Stemcyte has been in India since 2008.
    I think the goal of Stemcyte is to make profit by banking UCB. That's OK for me, but I guess it's not their specific goal to cure SCI. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Wise apparently is the global medical director of Stemcyte https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo67AG5dcPI
    So I suppose that if Wise had the time to help setting up a clinical trial for SCI using UCB from a different source (let say a Canadian public UCB bank), Stemcyte people would feel bad.
    I wonder if there is a poket for Stemcyte in the canadian UCB bank market...

Anyway, Happy 2014 Jim! :)

Paolo

Hello Paolo,
    I actually contacted stemcyte to find out about them going public. I wanted to see how big the company was and to be involved in there IPO if possible. This is the response I received back. So I am wondering if they are setting up in Taiwan for a main site.

Dear Mr. Monteforte,

Thank you for your interest in StemCyte. Currently, StemCyte is a privately-held company, although we are pursuing the opportunity to go public in August/September 2014 on the Taiwan stock exchange. You can probably keep up-to-date with the news of the company on our website, periodically.

Jim Todd

James M. Todd

Vice President of Finance

StemCyte, Inc.

1589 Industrial Park Street

Covina, CA 91722 USA

Office +1-626-646-2517

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Paolo, Stemcyte didn't have a location in China and we conducted several clinical trials there. What do you mean?
    That's what I meant:

"Under the terms of the agreement, StemCyte will provide financial sponsorship for Dr. Young's work at Rutgers' W.M. Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience and receive exclusive commercialization rights to the therapy"

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-57148332.html

This is ok for me, it's just that people need to know how things work.

Paolo

Thanks Joe, that's interesting to know.

Paolo

Again, you are wrong. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla
    I think the goal of Stemcyte is to make profit by banking UCB. That's OK for me, but I guess it's not their specific goal to cure SCI. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Wise apparently is the global medical director of Stemcyte https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo67AG5dcPI
    So I suppose that if Wise had the time to help setting up a clinical trial for SCI using UCB from a different source (let say a Canadian public UCB bank), Stemcyte people would feel bad.
    I wonder if there is a poket for Stemcyte in the canadian UCB bank market...
    Paolo,

Stemcyte is donating all the cord blood and cell processing costs for our trials ($30,000/unit). They are working hard to raise money for our trials. The phase III trial in the U.S. will probably cost us $150,000/subject. Why do you say that "it's not their specific goal to cure SCI"? You asked me to correct you if you are wrong. Well, you are wrong. Stemcyte does have a specific goal of curing spinal cord injury with umbilical cord blood.

Yes, I am the global medical director of Stemcyte. I do not receive any personal payment, stocks, or other financial compensation for this service. They help us in our clinical trials and I help them with their clinical trials. Our global phase III trials will likely cost over US$10 million. I don't see anybody else stepping up to pay for these trials. Do you? The fact that Stemcyte seeks to profit from this investment is no secret and nothing to be ashamed of. This is what companies do.

You keep asking about Canada. Who will pay for the trials in Canada? I don't see anybody stepping up and offering to pay for the trials in Canada. If umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells are approved by the USFDA, it should be approved in Canada relatively quickly. Why do you assume that there is a public cord blood bank in Canada? Incidentally, Canada only just recently started their first National Public Cord Blood Bank in September 2013 http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/public...tawa-1.1873112

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Paolo,

Stemcyte is donating all the cord blood and cell processing costs for our trials ($30,000/unit). They are working hard to raise money for our trials. The phase III trial in the U.S. will probably cost us $150,000/subject. Why do you say that "it's not their specific goal to cure SCI"? You asked me to correct you if you are wrong. Well, you are wrong. Stemcyte does have a specific goal of curing spinal cord injury with umbilical cord blood.

Yes, I am the global medical director of Stemcyte. I do not receive any personal payment, stocks, or other financial compensation for this service. They help us in our clinical trials and I help them with their clinical trials. Our global phase III trials will likely cost over US$10 million. I don't see anybody else stepping up to pay for these trials. Do you? The fact that Stemcyte seeks to profit from this investment is no secret and nothing to be ashamed of. This is what companies do.

You keep asking about Canada. Who will pay for the trials in Canada? I don't see anybody stepping up and offering to pay for the trials in Canada. If umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells are approved by the USFDA, it should be approved in Canada relatively quickly. Why do you assume that there is a public cord blood bank in Canada? Incidentally, Canada only just recently started their first National Public Cord Blood Bank in September 2013 http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/public...tawa-1.1873112

Wise.
    Great response and bang on. Thanks Dr. Young.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Paolo,

Wise.
    Thanks for clarifying all these points.

My understanding is that Stemcyte has many goals i.e. to develop cures for many deseases including SCI, but not just SCI, which is more than ok for me.
    JamesMcM asked about possible trials in Canada, and that generated some questions in my mind, so I asked.
    Is it correct that Stemcyte has exclusive commercialization rights to the therapy?

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla

This is ok for me, it's just that people need to know how things work.

Paolo
    I just want them to work. I truly hope some make money doing it so others will try with other injuries and diseases.

Wise, is this your most exciting year for your research? You must be very anxious to prove your results to the world.