Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Yes, that is an article about Boyd Melson fighting for the cure. Wise.

Dear Dr Young,
    do you have done controls of patients’'s movements in water?
    Thanks. Best wishes.

Ivano

What about upper body recovery (shoulders, arms, hands)?

I was just at the October Open House at Wise's lab, Ivano. I didn't see any video, slides or notes about humans in water exercises.. In the US water tests are normally left for animal trials. I was very impressed by so many with complete injuries bearing their full weight.

No, while patients in the trial had access to hydrotherapy and I encouraged them to do so, we did not collect any data nor required such exercises during the training. Wise.

Not much recovery, so far. Wise.

Jhope, I found the slides and videos at the Open House both amazing and confusing. These ASIA As are actually bearing their full weight and are able to initiate hip flexors to step. I'm a C6/7 incomplete ASIA C. I couldn't do that amount of stepping or walking after 10 years of PT and quads that scored 5/5s. But when it comes to moving legs in bed like pulling a knee up I beat them hands down. So why aren't they showing cervical improvement was confusing for me. Wise is obviously on to something here but it almost seems he's found a way to connect the brain directly to the central pattern generator. It is obviously a huge leap and more than I expected but why the ability to do so much while upright but not when lying down? And no, I didn't see any stupid American style tests like being asked to spread legs while lying on a padded, overly sheeted bed while wearing sweats. This open house left me very impressed and rather confused. Overall I think this is a huge step forward.

well walking is great but I would love my arms hands and fingers improved...........However any viable chronic treatment would be amazing!

We are currently doing a phase II/III trial, multicenter, double-blind, randomized clinical trial in China. The study started this August and should be completed by this coming summer. The original phase II trial reporting the incidental finding of lithium reducing neuropathic pain was published.

1. Yang ML, Li JJ, So KF, Chen JY, Cheng WS, Wu J, Wang ZM, Gao F and Young W (2012). Efficacy and safety of lithium carbonate treatment of chronic spinal cord injuries: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Spinal Cord 50: 141-6. Department of Spinal and Neural Function Reconstruction, China Rehabilitation Research Center, Beijing, China. STUDY DESIGN: Lithium has attracted much attention as a neuroregenerative agent for spinal cord injury in animal models. We hypothesized that the lithium can be beneficial to patients with spinal cord injury. The safety and pharmacokinetics of lithium has been studied in our earlier phase I clinical trial, indicating its safety. This is a phase II clinical trial to evaluate its efficacy on chronic spinal cord injury patients. OBJECTIVES: The aim of this study was to investigate the efficacy of lithium on chronic spinal cord injury patients. SETTING: A major spinal cord injury rehabilitation center in Beijing, China. METHODS: Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled 6-week parallel treatment arms with lithium carbonate and with placebo. A total of 40 chronic spinal cord injury subjects were recruited. Oral lithium carbonate was titrated or placebo was simulated to maintain the serum lithium level of 0.6-1.2 mmol l(-1) for 6 weeks, followed by a 6-month follow-up. The functional outcomes and the neurological classifications, as well as the safety parameters, adverse events and pharmacokinetic data were carefully collected and monitored. RESULTS: No significant changes in the functional outcomes and the neurological classifications were found. The only significant differences were in the pain assessments using visual analog scale comparing the lithium and the placebo group. No severe adverse event was documented in the study. CONCLUSION: The lithium treatment did not change the neurological outcomes of patients with chronic spinal cord injury. It is worth to investigate whether lithium is effective in the treatment of neuropathic pain in chronic spinal cord injury. SPONSORSHIP: China Spinal Cord Injury Network Company Limited.

So basicly so far the trial results for the UCB+LI is a CPG activator that worked on 75% of the volunteered patients?

Pardon me, I don';t intend to sound negative or unappreciated, I'm aware that the data is still being processed, but as I read previous posts, nerve fibres grow average the speed of hair, wouldn't 2-3yrs after the beginning of the trial would have grown from one end to another by now and reconnect more than just the CPG?