Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by rukiddingme View Post
    I don't think I'm jumping to conclusions after reading many of your posts. You did mention that you were working on something in your lab regards to high injuries (neuron replacement) which would be needed for cervical SCI. Just injecting UCBC + Lithium is a far reach for high injuries, thats why only 25% of such a small number were cervical SCI in those trials. The reason for 25% of those 20 subjects, was to see if you could get a few nerves to activate the walking generator. When will you be analyzing this little percentage group for limb function? Will there be any trials in the pipeline that will concentrate on arm/hand function in the distant future? Enquiring Quads want to know.....
    Where have you read that quads will need neuronal replacement?
    Neuron replacement would be necessary for brachial plexus and
    cauda equina injuries. But I've never heard that a pure spinal cord
    injury would need neuronal replacement.

I think you are mistaken rukm, lumbosacral injuries will require neuronal replacement, not high cervical injuries.

Buck503, Jim,

Here's what I found regarding neuron replacement for lower injuries as well as cervical. I need to correct myself, it's gray matter, not white..

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...postcount=1656

So.... Given that all the six month follow up data was collected by the end of November, I'm guessing the twelve month follow up should all be collected by now/is being collected now? Then a few more months for analysis and waiting for a publication?

you are in the ballpark...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    you are in the ballpark...
    Anything less cryptic?

Quote Originally Posted by rukiddingme View Post
    I don't think I'm jumping to conclusions after reading many of your posts. You did mention that you were working on something in your lab regards to high injuries (neuron replacement) which would be needed for cervical SCI. Just injecting UCBC + Lithium is a far reach for high injuries, thats why only 25% of such a small number were cervical SCI in those trials. The reason for 25% of those 20 subjects, was to see if you could get a few nerves to activate the walking generator. When will you be analyzing this little percentage group for limb function? Will there be any trials in the pipeline that will concentrate on arm/hand function in the distant future? Enquiring Quads want to know.....
    rukiddingme,

The number of cervical spinal cord injuries in the Kunming study is simply because more people with thoracic spinal cord injuries volunteered for this study than cervical. Only 5 subjects in the trial had cervical spinal cord injuries. In the phase III trial, there will be more subjects and we should be able to tell whether this treatment has an effect on cervical spinal cord injuries or not.

Wise.

Dr. Young,

Are any groups in the acute / subacute UCB trial receiving 6 months of intensive rehab like those in the chronic trial? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by NowhereMan View Post
    Dr. Young,

Are any groups in the acute / subacute UCB trial receiving 6 months of intensive rehab like those in the chronic trial? Thank you.
    Thirteen subjects with subacute spinal cord injury received the UCBMC transplants and then 3-6 months of locomotor training. Included in this trial are another 13 subjects who received surgery only and no cell transplants. This study is still double-blinded and therefore we have not looked at the data yet.

Wise.

Wise - You talked about patients being able to walk with CGP without any functional movement laying down. Would these same patients be able to pedal a bicycle or is walking the only movement they can do?
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2