Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by fti View Post
    thanks
    keep (rolling) Walking

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Dr. Wise
    I’m not sure if this was answered earlier, I apologize if did, I was away for a while…
    In regards to the patients that regained some ability to walk by having only he CPG triggered (No change in sensatory or motor gain as mentioned earlier) :
    Did the mentioned patients having the CPG reactivated gain abdominal or lower core function? Is it possible to walk even with supports with the abdominal area not working… maintaining balance n all… or it activated the lower core as well?
    Thanks again for you hard work and putting up with us!
    Last edited by Moe; 05-02-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fti View Post
    Here is the Google translation of the article. I think that the term "China Spinal Cord Injury Study Collaborative Group" is referring to ChinaSCINet. To the Chinese, the word network is often translated literally into a "net" (like for catching fish or like internet) and so they put in a word that means collaborative group rather "network". Zheng Shuang works for the ChinaSCINet. Alixander is Alexandra Ingersoll (most people call her Ali), an American who is doing her locomotor training at the Tongren Hospital in Kunming.

Wise.

Kunming Tongren Hospital Charitable Fund
    The road to find the treatment of spinal cord injury

Saber Lena Cogan Stem Cell Research Aid Foundation representatives to investigate colleagues spinal cord injury center
    April 7, Kunming Tongren Hospital, spinal cord injury treatment center ushered in a group of special guests - Hong Kong Asia Television crew. Two days, they carried out a detailed survey to access treatment and rehabilitation of nearly 10 patients from different regions. It is understood that this group of patients had received the support of the Spinal Cord Injury Study Collaborative Group, involved in cell transplantation with clinical studies for the treatment of spinal cord injury rehabilitation.
    Start clinical trials
    49-year-old Yang, from Yimen, a car accident 16 years ago, resulting in a fracture of the lumbar spine, and will never be able to stand. 2006 first informed of the Spinal Cord Injury Study Collaborative Group "clinical studies from 2010, before the first cell transplant in Kunming Tongren Hospital, the hospital for observation, waiting to carry out a second operation.
    He said the assistance programs help for themselves and their families after surgery consciously easier walk to a significant improvement in the help of others to practice.
    China Spinal Cord Injury Study Collaborative Group is responsible for each subject, and Asian television reporter will be asked in detail about every life, the details of the training are all recorded.
    According to Zheng Shuang, vice president of the China Spinal Cord Injury Study Collaborative Group, The Collaborative Group is the world's largest spinal cord injury clinical trials network, one of more than 20 in the Chinese mainland, Hong Kong and Taiwan's leading spinal cord injury centers. Collaborative group was established for the purpose of development and testing of spinal cord injury effective treatment in order to promote the results of laboratory research into the clinical applications. The same time, the University of Hong Kong spinal cord injury fund responsible for Fund Raising.
    The reporter saw on the site of spinal cord injury research collaboration group mentioned in April this year, the communications I / II of umbilical cord blood mononuclear cell transplantation with rehabilitation training in treatment of chronic spinal cord injury clinical trials in September 2011 expand all subjects in addition to the cell transplantation, at the same time to participate in a 12-week rehabilitation training in Kunming.
    This is an open label, dose escalation clinical trial. January 2012, 18 subjects transplant slightly increased by the low dose of 4 × 4 high dose of 4 × 16 microliters of cord blood mononuclear cells. Four weeks after a preliminary assessment showed that the treatment does not cause neurological deficit, cell transplantation is safe subjects. The study is expected to be completed in the summer of 2013.
    In addition, the Cooperative Group in September 2011 at the same time expand the clinical trials CN102c is lithium carbonate oral, umbilical cord blood cell transplantation in the treatment of acute / subacute phase safety and efficacy of spinal cord injury: double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials. This study injured patients within 4 weeks, there are 16 subjects involved in the treatment.
    Frontier led to the "Golden Phoenix"
    In fact, spinal cord injury treatment team leader Zhu Hui is already not the first time the favor and support of well-known domestic and foreign funds.
    According to reports, after not less than six of the IMF from home and abroad for the team with more than 10 million yuan of financial support and the support of clinical research.
    Zhu Hui of China mainland, Taiwan, Hong Kong Spinal Cord Injury Association Secretary-General, Deputy Chairman of the Academic Committee of the International Society for nerve repair, the International Spinal Cord Injury Association Spinal Cord Injury Association Standing Committee, China Association for the Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities spinal cord injury Society members. She and her team won the National Science and Technology Progress Award, Army Medical Achievement Award, first prize of the Yunnan Provincial Science and Technology Progress Award, the national invention patent 4, 15 papers.
    Before the establishment of the Kunming Tongren Hospital, spinal cord injury treatment center, Zhu Hui worked in a military hospital spinal cord injury treatment center, she was a founder. After retirement, in support of the parties, as well as to more spinal injury patients from all over the world have been treated, she came to a new platform.
    Kunming Tongren spinal cord injury treatment center set up a committee of experts by the authoritative experts in the field worldwide, including Professor Su Guohui (Chinese Academy of Sciences, Department of Anatomy, director of the School of Medicine of the University of Hong Kong); Wise Young Professor (Rutgers University, spinal cord damage the network negative). The Committee of Experts as a mason team powerful support and complement the world's most advanced treatment concepts and methods for patients.
    , Kunming colleagues the center of the spinal cord injury admitted to expanding the scope of strict inspection and recommended by the charitable organization or foundation. Reporters in the ward to see, from the United States, Canada, Australia and other countries and regions of the spinal cord injury patients, so that the center is like a mini-United Nations ", English as the" common language ".
    Alixander, a 30-year-old American woman, just to Kunming treatment less than a month. In September last year, her father Ralph After a detailed study, the final decision daughter to the other side of the ocean Kunming treatment. Ralph Saber Lena Cogan Aid Foundation governing stem cell research.
    Our reporter Liu Jie

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Dr. Wise
    I’m not sure if this was answered earlier, I apologize if did, I was away for a while…
    In regards to the patients that regained some ability to walk by having only he CPG triggered (No change in sensatory or motor gain as mentioned earlier) :
    Did the mentioned patients having the CPG reactivated gain abdominal or lower core function? Is it possible to walk even with supports with the abdominal area not working… maintaining balance n all… or it activated the lower core as well?
    Thanks again for you hard work and putting up with us!
    Moe,

The American Spinal Injury Association (ASIA) classification system assesses only 10 muscle groups on each side of the body. In the arms, the muscles are elbow flexors (biceps), wrist extensor (extensor carpi radialis), triceps, wrist flexion (flexor carpi radialis), and finger flexion (flexor digitorum profundus of the middle finger). In the legs, these muscles are hip flexors (liliopsoas), knee extensors (quadriceps), ankle dorsiflexors (tibialis anterior), long toe extensors (extensor hallucis longus), and ankle plantar flexors (gastrocnemius, soleus).

http://www.nature.com/sc/journal/v45...3102008t1.html

Based on my observations, however, most of the patients, however, do get back both upper and lower muscles.

Wise.

Hello everyone, I am new here. First of all, I want to thank Dr. Young for all the hard work he's doing. I really did not know we had some advanced research going on. I've been going around all the threads and reading for the past two weeks. My question is, are going to get some news about the last group (the highest dose of cells, methylprednisolone and lithium in July? And are you expecting better results?
    So Exciting.

welcome to the community mrTerell
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

THANK YOU very much lunasicc42..

Quote Originally Posted by mrTerell View Post
    Hello everyone, I am new here. First of all, I want to thank Dr. Young for all the hard work he's doing. I really did not know we had some advanced research going on. I've been going around all the threads and reading for the past two weeks. My question is, are going to get some news about the last group (the highest dose of cells, methylprednisolone and lithium in July? And are you expecting better results?
    So Exciting.
    We are collecting the data from the last patients in the study. As soon as we are satisfied that all the data available has been collected, we close and lock the database. After that, analysis begins.

Wise.

The posts on here about the trial for chronic SCI was interesting...hopefully progress continues to be made.

Dr. Young - Thank you for your hard work. Here's a question. Do you think chronic injuries that are near the breathing control center of the spinal cord will be especially hard to address?

As my physiatrist said to me during an appt., "the last thing you need is to end up on a ventilator if something unexpected happens after cells are injected"...
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    The posts on here about the trial for chronic SCI was interesting...hopefully progress continues to be made.

Dr. Young - Thank you for your hard work. Here's a question. Do you think chronic injuries that are near the breathing control center of the spinal cord will be especially hard to address?

As my physiatrist said to me during an appt., "the last thing you need is to end up on a ventilator if something unexpected happens after cells are injected"...
    Kyle,

Im not Dr. Wise but i just asked your question to a doctor a few weeks ago. He said to me that it will depend on the possible treatment in the future. If they just inject cells into cervical cords he dont see any problems with that even with extremly high injurys. But when it comes to things like open the spinal cord and first cut off some scar tissue etc. he said that its impossible to do in cervical injurys because of Nervus phrenicus at C4.Its way too dangerous. Hope I could help you a bit.

KK11