Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by ay2012 View Post
    Dr. Young,
    Whenever you have some time, was there anything of note that came from the investigators meeting in Xian? In particular, anything about the manuscript for the paper on the Phase I/II trial? Trial design/regulatory approval/funding/timeline for starting the Phase III in China? Future trials and therapies?) I think everyone here is interested in whether or not the animal studies using Cethrin have gotten going.) Thanks as always.
    I just finished the meetings in Xi'an. It went very well. We are on our way to India for an investigator meeting there. If there is anything significant to report, I will post here.

Wise.

I just removed a large number of posts to Discussion from ChinaSCINet Update in Members only because the posts were clogging up this topic which is reserved for reporting and discussing progress in the ChinaSCINet trials.

if you have questions about the ChinaSCINet trials, please ask. However, please refrain from posting irrelevant comments about other trials or questions about spinal cord injury mechanisms on this topic. I started this topic to inform people about the progress in the ChinaSCINet trials. Questions about other trials and arguments with each other are interfering with communication about progress in the ChinaSCiNet trials. Thank you.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 04-16-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Wise, you didn't quite answer Wills77 about your trials. Info I received in the mail about them say that they're focusing on those with chronic, complete sci injuries and says nothing about those with chronic, incomplete sci injuries or when/if incomplete injuries will be benefited by these trials. I'm pretty disappointed. There are more people with incomplete sci injuries, aren't there? And aren't they more likely to respond to your therapy since it also involves walking? They should be in the trials first or parallel to them, it seems to me. What do you think? Thanks...

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by FellowHawkeye View Post
    Wise, you didn't quite answer Wills77 about your trials. Info I received in the mail about them say that they're focusing on those with chronic, complete sci injuries and says nothing about those with chronic, incomplete sci injuries or when/if incomplete injuries will be benefited by these trials. I'm pretty disappointed. There are more people with incomplete sci injuries, aren't there? And aren't they more likely to respond to your therapy since it also involves walking? They should be in the trials first or parallel to them, it seems to me. What do you think? Thanks...

Jan
    It has nothing to do with how many incompletes and how many completes are out there. Complete injurys just have a lot more significance on possible benefical effects of a treatment then incompletes.

This may be unrelated to this thread but I have read in several places that the Chinese government is dumping billions into medical research. anywhere from 20 to 60% growth. I'm curious if any of this has helped with the finacial burden with SCI research including your own in China? And on the flip side the US cuts here in the US :/
    T6 complete since 3/21/2012

Dr. wise young,

I see you are doing phase 111 trials for asia a complete injuries how can I participate in the trials?

Dr Young. Have you or have you ever thought off video taping the patient before treatment doing a wide range of exercises and then say at 6 month and 12 month follow up dates? Reason I ask is because even for a person with sci it would be easier to follow what the person has regained even though we already know what were looking at. It just seems to me that if you did so it would be ALOT easier to follow for the people you are trying to get donations from if they were not firmiliar with sci. Kinda painting an easier picture for them to follow. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FellowHawkeye View Post

Jan
    Hi, Jan. It is true that there are more incomplete's than complete spinal spinal cord injuries. We originally wanted to do ASIA A, B, and C's in our trial in China. However, when we found that 75% of ASIA A patients recover KLS IV at 6-12 months after umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells (UCBMC) treatment, it became clear that the most efficient way of demonstrating that UCBMC is effective is to do a trial on only ASIA A subjects. It reduces the number of subjects that we do from 400 to only 120 in China and then 120 subjects around the world (including the U.S.).

Please understand that that this is not a reflection of our commitment to therapies for incomplete SCI. I have many friends with incomplete SCI, including of course you. We are absolutely committed to curing not only complete but incomplete SCI. On the other hand, while it was not an easy decision, it is an obvious decision. If we get the treatment approved first for complete spinal cord injury, then it is just a matter of doing some phase II/III trials showing that the treatment is safe and effective to get approval for "incomplete" injuries.

I hope that the first "success" will help bring in more funding for clinical trials. Believe me, this is not the first best and the only therapy for spinal cord injury. It is just the first that is showing results. We need to make sure that it is real and is credible to the doctors of the world. More important, this must be a consistent and constant effort that goes on around the world, to test the promising therapies of spinal cord injury in a rigorous and safe way, to establish the best therapies of chronic spinal cord injury. We will do trials to test therapies for incomplete spinal cord injury.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by havok View Post
    This may be unrelated to this thread but I have read in several places that the Chinese government is dumping billions into medical research. anywhere from 20 to 60% growth. I'm curious if any of this has helped with the finacial burden with SCI research including your own in China? And on the flip side the US cuts here in the US :/
    Havok,

In China, our current costs for doing clinical trials is about US$20,000 per subject, compared to US$100,000 in the U.S. The Chinese government now commits about 3.5% of their GDP to academic education and research. They recently announced that they are increasing it to 4.0% of their GDP and committing this it to translational research, including clinical trials. While ChinaSCINet has not directly received funding from the Chinese government, many of our participating centers have received grants from the Chinese government for clinical trials, allowing us to proceed with our work. We have been teaching many of the centers in China to do spinal cord injury research and clinical trials and helping them with their applications for grants. Things are highly competitive in China, as you can imagine.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by kimg View Post
    I see you are doing phase 111 trials for asia a complete injuries how can I participate in the trials?
    Kimg, if you are in China or Hong Kong, please wait until we announce the trials in China and the clinical trial centers. Then you need to contact the trial centers to join the trials.

Wise.