Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Dr Wise do you believe that Lyrica,Baclofen,Neurontin will in any way effect the outcome of your trials? Is there any evidence of it in any studies that the pills we take for pain or spazms will hinder or work against us in the trials? Also last question when you are recruting for your trials do you look for people who dont take any pills and do you ask the patients to cut there pills as much possible befopre they start. Thanks
    Last edited by #LHB#; 01-03-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    My bad... I just was wondering if there would be a full break-down. Something like:

Patient A came to us as a C_ Asia (x), and after the treatment of xyz and locomotor training the subject is now ___

Patient B came to us as T_ Asia (x), and received just the locomotor training regimen. His status is now this: ___

Etc....

I dunno exactly. But something to that effect
    I am with you, I know if there was positive results why not make them public. I dont get it. I know dr.wise says everybody should donate anyway but I know it would make alot more sense to people to donate towards something they knew was a positive cause. Anyways seems things are moving in the right direction

Have to figure out how to make a profit from this as well.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

This is a little unrelated,

Does anyone know any updates or current progress on the FGF clinical trial done in Taiwan, by Dr Cheng Hung-chih? It sounds relatively promising. Are there talks with using this technique with other therapies, such as UMBC or other stem cells?

Here's a link: http://thejns.org/doi/abs/10.3171/20...rchHistoryKey&

Thanks!
    Last edited by Skipow; 01-06-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    Dr Wise do you believe that Lyrica,Baclofen,Neurontin will in any way effect the outcome of your trials? Is there any evidence of it in any studies that the pills we take for pain or spazms will hinder or work against us in the trials? Also last question when you are recruting for your trials do you look for people who dont take any pills and do you ask the patients to cut there pills as much possible befopre they start. Thanks
    LHB,

I commented on the potential effects of pregabalin or gabapentin http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...75#post1634875.

We are planning to initiate a phase III trial of lithium on neuropathic pain in March 2013. As you may know, we had unexpectedly found that lithium significantly reduced severe neuropathic pain in patients with chronic spinal cord injury in a phase II trial that we had done to assess the safety and feasibility of giving lithium. During the trial, visual analog scale estimates of pain declined significantly during the 6-week course of lithium and continued to be lower even at 6 months, long after the lithium was stopped.

In our earlier trial assessing lithium, we did not exclude patients who are taking drugs for neuropathic pain. In our trial of 40 patients randomized equally to lithium or placebo, about half of the patients had neuropathic pain scores that were greater than 5/10. Note that in China, doctors do not prescribe as much medication for neuropathic pain as in the United States. So, a majority of the patients who had neuropathic pain were not taking any medication for their pain. This will be one of the factors that we will be analyzing for in the upcoming trial where we are planning to select 60 patients with significant neuropathic pain, give them a 6-week course of lithium, and then assess their quality and quantity of their neuropathic pain over the course of a year.

In general, we do not ask patients to cut back on their medications in trials. We ask them instead to maintain their medication levels constant during the trial and we record whatever concomitant medication they take and how much, as well of course as adverse events, such as increase in pain and spasticity. I think that if we find that anti-spasticity (baclofen) and anti-spasm (neurontin) drugs affect walking recovery, we would consider doing a separate trial to confirm these drug effects.

Wise.

Thank you Dr Wise for the response. Could you tell me a little about the lithium trial. Will it be at one place or will it be done at different centers around the US? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    Thank you Dr Wise for the response. Could you tell me a little about the lithium trial. Will it be at one place or will it be done at different centers around the US? Thanks
    The phase III lithium trial will be in China only. We are doing it at the Jiaotong Hospital in Xi'an and the China Rehabilitation Research Center in Beijing. Sorry. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    The phase III lithium trial will be in China only. We are doing it at the Jiaotong Hospital in Xi'an and the China Rehabilitation Research Center in Beijing. Sorry. Wise.
    only lithium no cells in your phase Ⅲ ?

Ill volunteer for the trial!! This neuro pain is crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by east dragon View Post
    only lithium no cells in your phase Ⅲ ?
    Eastdragon, this is a separate trial to test the efficacy of lithium for neuropathic pain.