Page 12 of 287 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112 ... LastLast

Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Congratulation Dr. Young,
    how much do you, as an organiser of these trails, know about the treatment each candidate will be getting?
    I mean, do you have knowledge about which of the candidates gets what and how much information can you pass on to us at carecure during the trial?
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Moe,

I... don't care about what I think ... you should just ignore my posts.

I don't understand ... words.

Paolo

Love who you are Dr. Young.

Fingers crossed and big thumbs up!!
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Big step. This news made my week. Kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Thanks so much for the update Dr. Wise, and congratulations!

I realize this is all undiscovered country at this point, but how long after the procedure would some signs of neurological change be expected, assuming it has any effect?

Again though, sincere thanks to you for bringing us to this point. Fingers crossed.
    Scaper1, we really don't know. As I pointed out, we will be doing formal followup examinations at 6 weeks, 6 months, and a year. If there is rapid or early improvement within days, this would suggest that the surgery did something to decompress the spinal cord. Regeneration should take longer. Segments close to the injury site should recover fastest.

It is possible that sensory function would be the first to come back. Hongyun Huang had reported early improvement of sensory function in the patients, within 4-6 weeks after OEG transplants. I have also seen some patients tell me that their muscles would ache before they get any function back in the muscle. I don't know what the mechanism of the aching is.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Solan View Post
    Congratulation Dr. Young,
    how much do you, as an organiser of these trails, know about the treatment each candidate will be getting?
    I mean, do you have knowledge about which of the candidates gets what and how much information can you pass on to us at carecure during the trial?
    Solan,

I know that many people are anxious to know and we do not want spurious speculation about the outcome. If, for example, we had maintained silence on the subject, there would be all sorts of speculations that something bad had happened. I decided that we would let people know that the first case occurred and that the surgery went well.

There is some precedence for release of information about phase 1 trials. The Geron trial, for example, released information indicating that their first patient had received the cells and was doing well. We will not be releasing exam-by-exam information on each patient and of course confidentiality will be protected.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 12-01-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    The first case was one on the 29th of November. It was, I believe, the first spinal cord injury cell transplant operation in Hong Kong history. The surgery went well. The patient did not have any neurological change afterward. In addition to the daily care and exams, the subject will be receiving formal examinations at 6 weeks, 6 months, and a year. I am hopeful, of course.

The next case has been tentatively scheduled for around the middle of December.

Wise.
    Wow! Hope!! Thank you Dr. Young!

Way to go Wise! I am so happy for you and our community.

The importance of beginning clinical trials cannot be over-estimated, regardless of initial results. The cure is a process; this is another step toward achieving that goal.

Thank you for your leadership.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Quote Originally Posted by john smith View Post
    Way to go Wise! I am so happy for you and our community.

The importance of beginning clinical trials cannot be over-estimated, regardless of initial results. The cure is a process; this is another step toward achieving that goal.

Thank you for your leadership.

John
    John, thank you.

I was thinking on the long flight back home that all this could not and would not have been without the support and hard work of the neurosurgeons and their staff (Dr. Waisang Poon and his fellow neurosurgeons at the Prince-of-Wales Hospital, Dr. Kent Tsang who got up very early on Monday morning to prepare the cells for transplants, and Dr. Gilberto Leung and his staff at Queen Mary Hospital who will be doing the next case), the incredible work of Suzanne Poon and her friends who raise funds for ChinaSCINet, and the deep commitment of Ken Giacin (CEO of Stemcyte) and Stemcyte who provided the best quality HLA-matched umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells for the trial.

Hundreds of people contributed to this trial and I am so grateful to them for their hard work and generosity. Above all, I want to thank the people who have volunteered for the trial, the people who took the risk so that we know whether this treatment works and is safe. In the coming month, the pace of the transplants will accelerate. When it is no longer news and the excitement of the first case fades, the doctors, radiologists, and nurses will continue to collect the data and take good care of the people who have volunteered their bodies for the trial. In the weeks and months preceding the trial, the team worked day and night to make sure that all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed, that no stone was left unturned to ensure the safety of the treatment, and that quality of the surgery and cells was impeccable.

This clinical trial is a gift of love and courage by many to our community.

Wise.

Doesn't matter if we get improvements in this first trial or not, what you do is just awesome. You are one amongst the few that started the "beginning of the end" of our condition.

Thank you and your team. Way to go.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)