Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by rjg View Post
    Good news everybody - Dr. Silver is going to give a speech! I bet he'll even take questions after the presentation. There may even be Powerpoint. And refreshments! I was starting to lose hope, but now I'm a believer.

Speech
    ??????
    Cure!
    You are an idiot.

Kai Liu discovered the PTEN deletion in 2009 and now these guys are lloking at it? Yamanaka discovered iPS cells in 2007, and Dezawa discovered MUSE cells last year. Why does it seem like we are constantly playing catch up with the Asian scientists?

Quote Originally Posted by BSgimp View Post
    You are an idiot.
    Personal attacks sting a bit less when they come from a guy who calls himself BSgimp.

Quote Originally Posted by havok View Post
    Im inclined to agree with rjg on the trials issue. For all the ground breaking discoveries that are being thrown around and talked about there are very few human trials that are making fast paced progress. While I dont think that Youngs is the "one cure" hes getting the work done. At the very least if it fails, we know it doesnt work for sure now and also he has a trial network already set up. Again though, its sad to see such little clinical progress, especially when you consider we are almost in the year 2013. At this rate there will likely not be a cure in 40 years unless aggressive clinical trials are persued the way Young is persuing his. IMO that is, but opinions are like @#%$@&*%everyone has em

I would like to add a side note though that I do think Jerry and other similar research is very compelling. I think there is real promise in it, I just wish it could progress faster
    Well said!
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

The beauty of this ch'ase thing is it will never fail - because it will never go to human trials. If Wise is wrong about this scar stuff, we'll know before too long - because he's testing his theories. In my mind Wise and Jerry Silver aren't even in the same business. One is in the business of trying to cure spinal cord injury. The other is in the business of philosophizing about potential cures and criticizing those who are actively trying to cure spinal cord injury. Cord blood and lithium may cure spinal cord injury. Speeches at Working to Walk, theories that never get tested, and internet trash talk will not cure spinal cord injury.
    one of your better posts.

Talking

Good news everybody - Dr. Silver is going to give a speech! I bet he'll even take questions after the presentation. There may even be Powerpoint. And refreshments! I was starting to lose hope, but now I'm a believer.

Speech
    ??????
    Cure!
    I love this one !
    keep (rolling) Walking

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by KofQ View Post
    Kai Liu discovered the PTEN deletion in 2009 and now these guys are lloking at it? Yamanaka discovered iPS cells in 2007, and Dezawa discovered MUSE cells last year. Why does it seem like we are constantly playing catch up with the Asian scientists?
    Our researchers at the Keck Center are currently learning to isolate MUSE cells from umbilical cord blood using a Fluorescence Activated Cell Sorter (FACS)- http://www.bio.davidson.edu/courses/...thod/facs.html
    Our Postdoc student is soon going to Japan to learn from Dezawa. It's exciting.

Dr. Silver wouldn't be wasting time and money if he didn't believe in the science of Chase. Don't be absurd rjg.

I agree Tufelhunden. Discussion is great for all of us! I didn't realize that my question would cause such a stir. I was just wondering if I happened to be on the wrong side of the 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Our researchers at the Keck Center are currently learning to isolate MUSE cells from umbilical cord blood using a Fluorescence Activated Cell Sorter (FACS)- http://www.bio.davidson.edu/courses/...thod/facs.html
    Jim, thanks for posting this information. It's indeed an exciting area of research and we'll be following these developments along. Great news!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

Dr. Silver wouldn't be wasting time and money if he didn't believe in the science of Chase. Don't be absurd rjg.
    The diagram makes it look more like a video game or Japanese cartoon that could cause seizures. Of course, I'm so desperate for some hope, I'll take it.