Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

By the way I'm not so arrogant to suggest I understand the science of such a complex issue but on a layman's level we can try to understand as much as we can.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    Thank you Dr. Silver. I've learned a lot about the progression of the pTEN studies by your clarifications and answers.
    and without Wise you would have learned nada.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    and without Wise you would have learned nada.
    After only 7 years of part time study, Grasshopper now knows more than Master Po. Amazing.

I guess by the end of 2013, someone will be dining on crow. Bon appetit.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    Who cares? Back to your labs! (Wpppshh)

Seriously though, sometimes dissonance is constructive.
    Only when there is a positive attitude of collaboration. In this case is more like a confrontation (I just know more than you, mine is the truth. And I will teach everyone here you are wrong).
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

My perception is that some people are trying to discredit the work of Doctor Young, what in my point of view is unacceptable, because as was said by Isildur, divergence of ideas in an environment of collaboration and respect is very welcome, but what we have seen here is far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    Only when there is a positive attitude of collaboration. In this case is more like a confrontation (I just know more than you, mine is the truth. And I will teach everyone here you are wrong).
    exactly. almost like religion.

Thank you Dr. Young for also posting your thoughts on the pTEN research that is underway. The number of neuroscientists doing pTEN nerve research has greatly expanded. As a result, papers will be published and collaborations are already forming. In May 2009, just three years ago, Zhigang He's lab was the only lab in the world doing PTEN nerve research. According to PubMed, today there are more than 17 labs conducting this research. This list does not include several good labs in Europe also participating in this area of research. A growing number of researchers feel this research has the potential to provide answers to regeneration and as a result, grant requests are being reviewed and approved for funding. This is indeed an exciting area of research to follow!

• Zhigang He – Harvard University
    • Oswald Steward - UCIrvine + 3 additional researchers (USCD)
    • Hans Kierstead – UC Irvine
    • Binhai Zheng – UC San Diego
    • Mark Tusznski – UC San Diego
    • Kai Liu – Hong Kong University
    • Mary Bunge – Miami Project, University of Miami
    • Wolfram Tetzaloff – University of British Columbia
    • Jerry Silver – Case Western Reserve University
    • Itzhak Fisher – Drexel University
    • Larry Recht and Jim Wiemann - Stanford
    • Doug Zochodne – University of Calgary
    • Kevin Park – Miami Project, University of Miami
    • Gary Westbrook – Vollum Institute

The beauty of this ch'ase thing is it will never fail - because it will never go to human trials. If Wise is wrong about this scar stuff, we'll know before too long - because he's testing his theories. In my mind Wise and Jerry Silver aren't even in the same business. One is in the business of trying to cure spinal cord injury. The other is in the business of philosophizing about potential cures and criticizing those who are actively trying to cure spinal cord injury. Cord blood and lithium may cure spinal cord injury. Speeches at Working to Walk, theories that never get tested, and internet trash talk will not cure spinal cord injury.
    Last edited by rjg; 08-24-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Im inclined to agree with rjg on the trials issue. For all the ground breaking discoveries that are being thrown around and talked about there are very few human trials that are making fast paced progress. While I dont think that Youngs is the "one cure" hes getting the work done. At the very least if it fails, we know it doesnt work for sure now and also he has a trial network already set up. Again though, its sad to see such little clinical progress, especially when you consider we are almost in the year 2013. At this rate there will likely not be a cure in 40 years unless aggressive clinical trials are persued the way Young is persuing his. IMO that is, but opinions are like @#%$@&*%everyone has em

I would like to add a side note though that I do think Jerry and other similar research is very compelling. I think there is real promise in it, I just wish it could progress faster

Quote Originally Posted by jsilver View Post
    Yes by all means there is hope.

SFN 2012 abstracts
    Program#/Poster#: 270.04/EE16
    Presentation Title: Chondroitinase ABC treatment at super-chronic injury states promotes respiratory motor recovery following C2 hemisection
    Presentation time: Sunday, Oct 14, 2012, 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
    Authors: *W. J. ALILAIN1, J. SILVER2;
    1Neurosciences, Metrohealth Med. Center/Rammelkamp Ctr. for Educ. and Res., CLEVELAND, OH; 2Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve Univ. Sch. of Med., Cleveland, OH
    Abstract: Most spinal cord injuries (SCI) are at the cervical level. This can result in disruption of bulbospinal inputs to phrenic motor neurons which innervate the diaphragm. This oftentimes results in the inability to breathe and the need for mechanical ventilation, severely diminishing the quality of life of those afflicted with the injury. In our laboratory we utilize a lateral C2 hemisection model of SCI which results in paralysis of the ipsilateral hemidiaphragm to study the anatomical and physiological changes which take place after cervical injury and explore strategies to restore function. A majority of studies have investigated treatments at acute stages, within 1 week of injury, to restore respiratory motor function. Since a majority of the human SC injured population is at chronic stages, it is necessary to investigate if these same strategies are still effective long after the initial injury. One cannot assume that treatments that are effective at acute stages will be equally as effective later on since a variety of untoward changes may occur over time. One strategy that has a well characterized positive regenerative/sprouting effects at acute stages is treatment with chondroitinase ABC (ChABC). ChABC breaks down inhibitory chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans (CSPGs) in the lesion scar and the perineuronal net (PNN) - which are upregulated immediately following injury and potently inhibit plasticity and regeneration. In the current study we found that ChABC treatment alone at “super” chronic stages - 1 and 1.5 years post injury - can, indeed, restore hemidiaphragmatic function. Additionally, our data suggests that the restored function is greater than that which returns after acute treatment. Overall, this data suggests that at super-chronic injury states CSPGs and the PNN are still present and inhibitory to endogenous mechanisms to restore function. However, when enzymatically removed with ChABC alone, there is an enhanced response compared to acute treatment, further suggesting that precisely targeting CSPGs may be an important priority even in chronic SCI patients.
    Disclosures: W.J. Alilain: None. J. Silver: None.
    Keyword(s): SPINAL CORD INJURY
    PLASTICITY
    RECOVERY
    Support:
    Good news everybody - Dr. Silver is going to give a speech! I bet he'll even take questions after the presentation. There may even be Powerpoint. And refreshments! I was starting to lose hope, but now I'm a believer.

Speech
    ??????
    Cure!