Page 11 of 276 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast

Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Which cells will be most powerful for neuronal replacement Dr Young? Embryonic or Neural stem cells? How neural cells are collected and are neural cells safe enough or may cause tumor or so like embryonic cells?

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Which cells will be most powerful for neuronal replacement Dr Young? Embryonic or Neural stem cells? How neural cells are collected and are neural cells safe enough or may cause tumor or so like embryonic cells?
    You don't want "powerful" stem cells to be transplanted into your spinal cord. In fact, you don't stem cells to be transplanted at all. That is why all so-called stem cell therapies involve differentiating the cells first to what you want before you transplant them.

You want to transplant cells that don't misbehave and do exactly what you want. Stem cells are dangerous precisely because they can make many kinds of cells. If a stem cell makes the wrong type or too many cells, you would call it a tumor.

That is why the concept of transplanting "powerful" stem cells into the spinal cord is so misleading. People think that all you have to do is to put the stem cell in and they will know what to do. If stem cells "knew" what to do, your own stem cells would have done it already.

In your case, if you want to replace neurons, you want to transplant neuronal restricted progenitor cells. You can obtain such cells from embryonic stem cells, fetal or adult neural stem cells, and even induced neurons from fibroblasts.

Wise.

Dr. Wise, What's up ? please tell us something, what's going on ?
    keep (rolling) Walking

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

The first case was one on the 29th of November. It was, I believe, the first spinal cord injury cell transplant operation in Hong Kong history. The surgery went well. The patient did not have any neurological change afterward. In addition to the daily care and exams, the subject will be receiving formal examinations at 6 weeks, 6 months, and a year. I am hopeful, of course.

The next case has been tentatively scheduled for around the middle of December.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 12-01-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: removed some extraneous information. Wise.

Thanks so much for the update Dr. Wise, and congratulations!

I realize this is all undiscovered country at this point, but how long after the procedure would some signs of neurological change be expected, assuming it has any effect?

Again though, sincere thanks to you for bringing us to this point. Fingers crossed.

Dr. Young

Thank you so much for the update and everthing you do for us, and congratulations ! May God blass you and be whit us all
    Last edited by Johnnie Walked; 12-01-2010 at 02:17 AM.
    keep (rolling) Walking

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Thumbs up Yesssss!!!!!

Excellent news, and yes thank you very much Dr. Young.

Excellent news Dr Wise, great !! A job well done.

Congratulations dear Dr Young and best wishes for ur success.

We all hoping to see recovery in the patient soon.

Hope you will update about the patients. I hope things can start to recover within a month or so.

Great news!

Thinking of you, the team and the patients. Keep us informed.