Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    There has been push back from a lot of hospitals and therapy centers in the US, saying that it would be too expensive (both in terms of money and manpower) to give people with SCI intensive walking training for many hours a day, 6 days per week. I believe there are many things that make this easier to accomplish in China compared to the US, but with the right resources, it should be possible anywhere.
    Have they found that much is needed? does seem like a lot. Wait is this just for the trial, to determine the results in timely fashion? or is this required for anyone who has had the procedure?

I can't speak to the trials but it took me about 4 months of >2 hours of sci walking training + about 4 hours of reconditioning (stretching, biking, exercise etc) 6 days a week to get me up and walking independently with a walker. Getting that much time was a daily struggle, and it's one of the big arguments for sci specific exercise facilities - being able to use equipment (bikes, recumbent ellipticals, etc) independently made it possible for me to get enough time in. This time around in a non-specific and sci-ignorant facility getting 2 hours of therapy time in is a real struggle, and that's with them counting every transfer, brushing teeth and hair etc as therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by annev308 View Post
    I can't speak to the trials but it took me about 4 months of >2 hours of sci walking training + about 4 hours of reconditioning (stretching, biking, exercise etc) 6 days a week to get me up and walking independently with a walker. Getting that much time was a daily struggle, and it's one of the big arguments for sci specific exercise facilities - being able to use equipment (bikes, recumbent ellipticals, etc) independently made it possible for me to get enough time in. This time around in a non-specific and sci-ignorant facility getting 2 hours of therapy time in is a real struggle, and that's with them counting every transfer, brushing teeth and hair etc as therapy.
    whats your level?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    Have they found that much is needed? does seem like a lot. Wait is this just for the trial, to determine the results in timely fashion? or is this required for anyone who has had the procedure?
    I can't comment on the details of the trial, as I am not involved. As for how much walking training is "needed" - that depends on a million different things and is likely highly individual. If you're asking specifically how much training is needed for a chronic, complete injury who has undergone some kind of regenerative treatment, the truth is that nobody knows. However it is likely that a LOT of training would be needed, at least at first, to get the nervous system to start re-organizing in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    whats your level?
    Original injury T3 incomplete. Detethering ran from T1-6 and I regained sensation and (trace) movement in areas I haven't had since the original injury. Slowness of recovery exacerbated by medical complications, tethering etc. This time facility seems pretty ignorant of SCI.

When will publish the paper of "CN102b: Phase I/II UCBMC Transplant Trial", "CN102b_KM: UCBMC Transplant with Rehabilitation Trial", "CN102c: Lithium?UCBMC for Acute/Subacute SCI" ?

These papers are in the process of being published.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    These papers are in the process of being published.
    Jim,

What is the hold up on the papers being published? I feel like it's been 2 years since they were first submitted to be published. That seems like an abnormal amount of time, but I'm not in the field.

Papers? How many papers are there?

I jus hope to god we get some good news cause I'm gettin burned out

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    I jus hope to god we get some good news cause I'm gettin burned out

Same here, been a long time with no news from any SCI organization or researcher, I am not going to w2w this year but am really looking forward to the updates and blogs
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature