Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Mike,

I am sorry that you feel like that, you can ignore my posts if they disturb you, which I can understand.
    You could also consider to pay more attention to what I write, dig into it and maybe in a while you may agree with some of my posts.

In any case keep hope alive, if I am affecting your hope "send me to hell"

Paolo
    Paolo,
    Thanks for the message back; I realize I may have come off rather strong.

I am well-educated on this topic (it is my life after all) and pay close attention to what you and others have to say. I know you take the standpoint of clarity and trying to keep the record straight, but sometimes it seems more like picking apart minute details and taking Dr. Young’s words out of context in a way to press him and sometimes try to discredit his work. That is not okay, and the opposite of what we should be trying to do as a community.

We should be supporting him, appreciating whatever information he is willing to provide, not barrading him with a query of endless questions that take him away from his work, and thank him from the very bottom of our hearts.
    -Mike
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad
    http://www.Quadomated.com/

Quote Originally Posted by muskie View Post
    Where is Barrington? What happened to Kessler?

No, muskie, he was replying to the person named Barrington
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    No, muskie, he was replying to the person named Barrington
    Thanks for the clarification, I was wondering why Barrington animal hospital had anything to do with this. I am an idiot
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by Chassmain View Post
    ... sometimes it seems more like picking apart minute details and taking Dr. Young’s words out of context in a way to press him and sometimes try to discredit his work. That is not okay, and the opposite of what we should be trying to do as a community.

We should be supporting him, appreciating whatever information he is willing to provide, not barrading him with a query of endless questions that take him away from his work, and thank him from the very bottom of our hearts.
    -Mike
    That's sweet but Dr Young himself has said we should question everything, including other researchers.

Keeping quiet doesn't work as the last 67yrs have proven (we have survived since WWII). We need more Paolos to hold their feet to the fire.

Dr Young brought Methylprednisolone to trial and a treatment for acutes but it is still not used as a standard of care for whatever reason, especially in Canada.

I too, hope he's onto something but I find that doubtful during the first time out ... and that's okay. What worries me is that I don't see many lining up with proposed treatments???
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Chassmain View Post
    Dr. Young,

I want to thank you for all your hardwork, dedication, and tireless efforts to find a way to someday make us even a little bit better. I admire your commitment, openness, and compassion and hope that someday we can walk side-by-side down the street. You and those who work beside you give me hope every day.

I thank you for that!
    -Mike
    Mike, thank you very much. Your message means a lot to me.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    When i first started reading on here, I was reading that these trials would be coming to the US in 2012. Now im seeing the 2014 thrown around.
    Barrington,

I had hoped that we might have been able to get the trials going in 2012. We are working very hard to get the trials going in 2013.

Before we can do the trials in the U.S., we must get obtain permission from the FDA. We are planning to submit the IND when we get our 6-month data from our current trials.

We are raising funds for the trials. It will cost over $100,000 per subject and we are planning to test about 120 subjects in the U.S. We need $12 million. It will have to come from many sources.

I am setting goals and pushing many people to work hard to attain those goals.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnifer
    I too, hope he's onto something but I find that doubtful during the first time out ... and that's okay. What worries me is that I don't see many lining up with proposed treatments???
    I wanted to address one of Lynnifer's comments. She pointed out that she doesn't see many people lining up, presumably with therapies for the trials to come whether umbilical cord blood and lithium turn out to be effective. Many companies and investigators have approached ChinaSCINet to test therapies. Let me mention just a few that we are working with.

1. Cethrin. We are working with Lisa McKerracher to bring Cethrin to phase 3 trial. For example, we are hoping to do a U.S. phase I/II trial comparing UCBMC+lithium and UCBMC+lithium & Cethrin. This would be precursor to a phase III trial comparing UCBMC+lithium, Cethrin, and UCBMC+lithium & Cethrin. Since we now have phase I/II safety data for UCBMC+lithium and Cethrin in chronic SCI and Phase I/II safety data for Cethrin in subacute spinal cord injury, we believe that we can get regulatory approval of use of the combination of the three treatments for chronic SCI relatively quickly, as soon as GMP facilities can be identified for manufacturing the Cethrin.

2. Soluble Decoy Nogo Receptor. We are working closely with Axerion to test and move their soluble decoy nogo receptor to trial. Strittmatter has published exciting chronic spinal cord injury animal results, showing that this treatment improves recovery of function in rodents. The treatment appears to be safe (because the soluble nogo receptor protein binds to molecules that bind to the Nogo receptor). This could be tested in combination with the cells transplants mentioned below.

3. HLA-matched UCBMC-derived Muse cells and autologous Schwann cells. We are working with Mari Dezawa in Japan to isolate and expand Muse cells from UCBMC. UCBMC can be HLA-matched to recipients with spinal cord injury. These are pluripotent stem cells that can generate neural stem cells to replace motoneurons and interneurons in the spinal cord. We hope to combine Muse cell transplanted into the lumbosacral spinal cord with Schwann cell transplants into the ventral roots, to entice motor axons to grow into the ventral roots to re-innervate muscle. We have developed a lumbosacral spinal cord injury model in rats to test these therapies. We are hoping of course that Miami project will have good results with their Schwann cell trials so that we don't have to do phase I trials of Schwann cells to show safety.

4. Neural stem cell lines. We have been following the trials that Neuralstem and Stem Cell Inc. have been doing. If those trials prove to be positive in chronic SCI, we will be ready and willing to take these cells to clinical trial in ChinaSCINet. These could be with the cells on their own or in combination with some of the above therapies. While I remain skeptical that these cells will survive long enough to replace neurons in the spinal cord, I think that these cells may well be an excellent source of growth factors and "come-hither" signals that could stimulate regeneration in the spinal cord as well as HLA-matched umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells.

5. Umbilical cord lining (UCL) cells. We are working with a group in Singapore to test UCL cells that are mesenchymal stem cell like and express HLA-G, an anti-immune protein that prevents rejection. These cells have many interesting properties, including ability to repair cornea, liver, and skin. Because they express HLA-G, they are immune-privileged.

6. Placental cells. We are working with Celgene to develop and test placental cells and other products in spinal cord injury. The placenta contains many immune-privileged stem cells and probably is the source of the stem cells in umbilical cord blood and also umbilical cord lining. These cells transplants can be tested in combination with all the other therapies, including PTEN, CSPG receptor blocker, lithium, etc.

So, there are many therapies waiting in the wings. There are some that I haven't mentioned because we are still waiting for decisions by the companies. For example, the Nogo antibody is still "floating" and we have not yet seen the published data concerning the trial. We are of course watching the work by Kai Liu and Jerry Silver carefully. Although Liu has shown that knocking out PTEN allows many corticospinal axons to grow across the injury site, the growth of the axons is very slow (slower than 1 mm per day) and one possibility is that CSPG or other axonal growth inhibitors are slowing down the axonal growth across the injury site. So, one approach will be to combine both therapies. Much still needs to be done before a genetic therapy knocking out PTEN can be taken to trial. We are exploring other pharmaceutical means of down-regulating PTEN.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 11-17-2012 at 05:07 PM.

It's great to hear that some collaboration may happen now that the trial network is in place. Multiple trials cannot come soon enough!

Wise, not sure if you can disclose or not. Here goes anyway. Are companies still viewing from the sidelines waiting? Am I delusional thinking a company could /would swoop in and at any time to make so much hard work proprietary? Is that even what happens? Is there a point in time where "business" comes in and says, "thanks for your work and your followers donations, we'll take it from here?"

I guess what I mean is, am I looking at it all wrong by thinking there are those who are lining up, ready to stand on your shoulders and leave you and the donators who have been supporting your work (both emotionally and financially) on the outside?

Sorry for the conspiracy theory, but I really think with so many lawyers in the world..well, enough said.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    Wise, not sure if you can disclose or not. Here goes anyway. Are companies still viewing from the sidelines waiting? Am I delusional thinking a company could /would swoop in and at any time to make so much hard work proprietary? Is that even what happens? Is there a point in time where "business" comes in and says, "thanks for your work and your followers donations, we'll take it from here?"

I guess what I mean is, am I looking at it all wrong by thinking there are those who are lining up, ready to stand on your shoulders and leave you and the donators who have been supporting your work (both emotionally and financially) on the outside?

Sorry for the conspiracy theory, but I really think with so many lawyers in the world..well, enough said.
    That is of course what we hope the companies will do, i.e. swoop in and support the work. Therapies cannot exist without companies because somebody has to manufacture the therapies to treat thousands or even millions of people. That is what companies do best. We, who are volunteering our time and effort, will get our satisfaction from seeing the therapies applied to and benefitting people.

I will of course not be very happy if some company were to swoop in and use our therapies for cosmetics and not for spinal cord injury. If we have the patents, we would make sure that the license is predicated on the therapy being developed for spinal cord injury.

Wise.