Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
Makes me wonder how their every day lives have changed, even if they havent got far enough to walk with zero assistance. For example, driving a car normally without hand controls. Im sure theres tons of little things like this that we just dont always think about but would be a nice improvement in our lives.
Maybe this can help clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
Cspine,

We observed that patients showed improved locomotor scores but did not improve their motor or sensory scores. Motor scores represent voluntary activation of muscles on a scale of 0-5, where 0 indicates no movement when the subject is asked to move the muscle, 1 indicates trace or flicker movement, 2 indicates muscle movement only when the influence of gravity is removed, 3 indicates ability to counteract the effects of gravity, 4 indicates ability to move muscle against resistance but not normal, 5 indicates normal muscle strength.

The walking is voluntary in the sense that the subjects are initiating and maintaining walking. Many of the subjects are supporting most of their weight (they are leaning on a device that has wheels on it). The walking is also functional in the sense that some subjects taking steps and moving around with devices, something that they could not before the therapy. People are stepping with their legs even though they may NOT show improvements in their ability to wiggle their toes (extensor hallucis longus), move their ankles (anterior tibialis/gastrocnemius), straighten their knees (quadriceps), or flex their hips (psoas) on command.

Many people who have recovered walking after spinal cord injury will tell you that they can walk but they don't have good control of the individual muscles or have feelings in their feet. This is common.

Wise.
I think this precludes any activity that requires ability to voluntarily lift / move your leg muscles, i.e. driving.