Thread: ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    I'm going to take it that, that means it will push trials back. Also I guess I am supposed to be excited the Dr. Silvers stuff is getting good results in rats. GREAT! At 7 years post I am starting to see more into the future and it doesn't look any better than seven years ago. Damn its frustrating.
    There isn't a single previous year that can remotely compare with what has happened this year alone for spinal cord injury research. Even narrowminded, spoon feeding bullshit Canadian rehab centers are starting to promote REAL hope.

Hi DR. Wise,

I'm sitting here pondering some questions as I try to fall asleep. Maybe you have the answers? You don't have to waste too much time responding to each one. A vague response is fine with me.

1)has anyone done a trial with mapping spinal cord injury genomes and compare them to healthy individuals?

2)Has there been any cases where people recover from an injury where you have thought it wasn't possible they'd recover? Could they possess a gene that promotes CNS regeneration or preventing damage? Maybe the patients in your current trial should have their genes sequenced for possible patterns to emerge within the trials results? Would that gene possibly look similar to how skin, your liver, and peripheral nervous system regenerative genes look? I don't know what they look like so i have no clue if they do look similar or not.

3)I wonder if some genes turn off post injury and if they do... Do they turn off to prevent the spinal cord from repairing it self maybe even a cause of atrophying(not muscular but parts of the brain, etc)? I'm aware of cell suicide once damaged and that's not what I'm questioning. I should say... Maybe there a gene that prevents the body from EVER being repaired after it's activated... Almost as a closed road, do not enter. "move along here, nothing to see."

4)Has there been any studies with healthy humans where they do full body MRI scans with motor and touch exercises and trace the nerve pathways from the foot all the way up to the brain? See how the central pattern generators activate, etc? I'm curious to see what an MRI would look like of the central pattern generators of A, B, and c comparison of A) A healthy individual B) someone who has a spinal cord injury C) Someone who has had the surgeries in your trial.

I've become quite curious about genes lately. I could see in the future each patient goes to the doctor and they open up a maintenance manual. All your gene letters laid out in "how to fix blah blah chapter 23..." The doctor flips through the pages( yeah.. like they use paper today!) Doctor points... "There's your problem" then conjures up a cool drink of gene therapy and whisky to revert the gene abnormality. Bam your fixed! Did I mention the doctors a robot too? haha

Feel free to ignore this post if these questions are not plausible situations for tests haha. Writing this crazy post wore me out, so off to bed I go! Anyway, thanks for your time! Have a wonderful set of holidays!

Sincerely,

Joe T.
    Joe T.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    We are still working on getting the papers published. The publication will not be in 2014. Wise.
    Dr.Wise, why is the prediction of the Phase I&II Journal publication being postponed again?

It has been 10 years since my son was injured and have been on this site since the first week after his injury . As a health care professional myself and well acquainted with academic papers. I have lost count of the number of studies and papers pertaining to spinal cord injury and other nuerological motor diseases which I have read. There are ton of papers and studies actual of human test subjects relating to ALS, MS, Parkinsons, MG, CVA's, brain tumors , head trauma, seizures, and other types of disorders. There but a precious few on spinal cord injuries. I am very frustrated and losing hope on the idea of a cure when a paper which focuses on actual human trials which exhibits effacacy is not beng published and yet ANOTHER RAT TRIAL with promises of " large animal trials in the future" is published in a few months after it's submission. .. Maybe I am paranoid, maybe Big Pharm is behind this to squash a cure becuase they would lose megabucks, or Dr .Young's trial is somehow not being robust enough, or maybe some other sinister plot... sigh.. 10 years my son was 14 when he became a ASIA A 4-5 he is now 24 and is lost his young adulthood and poised to lose even more of adulthood. I was told 5 years there would be a cure in 2004 and 5 years after that. I thank God he is now in Law School and at least his mind is still active. Mabe Dr. Young could shed some light related to the delay or reason no journal has published his paper yet.
    Last edited by okwjoe; 12-08-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by okwjoe View Post
    It has been 10 years since my son was injured and have been on this site since the first week after his injury . As a health care professional myself and well acquainted with academic papers. I have lost count of the number of studies and papers pertaining to spinal cord injury and other nuerological motor diseases which I have read. There are ton of papers and studies actual of human test subjects relating to ALS, MS, Parkinsons, MG, CVA's, brain tumors , head trauma, seizures, and other types of disorders. There but a precious few on spinal cord injuries. I am very frustrated and losing hope on the idea of a cure when a paper which focuses on actual human trials which exhibits effacacy is not beng published and yet ANOTHER RAT TRIAL with promises of " large animal trials in the future" is published in a few months after it's submission. .. Maybe I am paranoid, maybe Big Pharm is behind this to squash a cure becuase they would lose megabucks, or Dr .Young's trial is somehow not being robust enough, or maybe some other sinister plot... sigh.. 10 years my son was 14 when he became a ASIA A 4-5 he is now 24 and is lost his young adulthood and poised to lose even more of adulthood. I was told 5 years there would be a cure in 2004 and 5 years after that. I thank God he is now in Law School and at least his mind is still active. Mabe Dr. Young could shed some light related to the delay or reason no journal has published his paper yet.
    Hey okwjoe,

I can't imagine your situation and pain as a parent, the same way I can't understand the pain my parents had to deal with having their only son paralysed at the age of 19. But Perhaps I can relate to your son by a small fraction - I'm only 20 months post injury. I can already see a pattern regarding cure/therapy. I have heard from people injured for over 30+ years. They tell me they are fed BS every year how there will be a cure the following year, and it just keeps getting pushed back.

But the progress in the past few years has been good. If only we can get past the red tape and actually start treatment.

BTW for those wondering whether or not the Phase III trials will be pushed back or not... it's FUNNY how the ChinaSCINet site said trials would begin in August 2013... then 2014... now 2015...)

My understanding is that Phase III cannot begin until efficacy is proven - they need to publish this before hand, in order to begin Phase III.

IMO the BIGGEST issue with any new therapy is PATENT and COPYRIGHT etc. I'm not saying this is the case for Dr Wise' trials, but was seemingly the case the neural bridge thing that happened early in the year. I wish we could focus on fixing people rather than securing rights.

Again, I'm not saying Dr Wise/ChinaSCINet are doing this - because I don't know. I'm sick of waiting for the past year. I have the most respect for those of you who have spent 10+ years, 20, 30 years. I don't know where I'm going with this but just wanted to say a few things.

Regards

I sympathize with you and your child. I too lost my young adulthood to SCI. I spent years sitting and waiting for something to happen and the only thing that happened was time went on and I didn't. Your son is doing a great thing by getting his degree. It took me ten years to just move on and focus my mind on other things which i regret wasting so much time sitting a hoping. At least now I have a life, not really the life I want but its still better than sitting on pause like I was. You make me think about how my mother must feel and its sad. I'm currently 35 hopefully your son will get to enjoy some of his prime years still as I'm feeling like mine are behind me.

good luck to you,

There are no patent/copyright issues, the plan is still to begin Phase III in 2015.

We have submitted the manuscript to several journals and the manuscript has been returned without review, mostly saying that the study is too specialized for their journal. We started submitting in August 2014 (we closed the clinical trial database in May 2014). We are continuing to submit the manuscript to the highest impact journals possible. I hope that we will have good news soon. Wise.

Dr. Wise, thanks for replying. But this is surprising that the journals can reply in sauch a way !! I mean if all the journals will reply in this way then how will new findings be ever published ??
    Isnt it a deadlock- cannot proceed without publishing papers and the journals dnt let publish !
    There must be some way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul Chavan View Post
    Dr. Wise, thanks for replying. But this is surprising that the journals can reply in sauch a way !! I mean if all the journals will reply in this way then how will new findings be ever published ??
    Isnt it a deadlock- cannot proceed without publishing papers and the journals dnt let publish !
    There must be some way out.
    Very good point