Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diana, Princess of Wales (1 July 1961 – 31 August 1997)

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    She was a fine, loving lass, for sure, but there are millions of people like that who pass without a word said about them, or great extravaganzas held in their honor. Diana was mainly a media creation in Royalty-starved England (and the States, it seems) - the circumstances of her death and the identity of her bf only added to the media-fueled hysteria. She was a good and decent woman who tried to make the world a better place.

My neighbor Aldene died that same day, she was 85 years old, and she didn't have a soul in the world. I like to think of Aldene, who was a loving old gal who had a picture of Gen MacArthur hanging above her bed, and smoked and drank whiskey with me and the other neighbors, on this anniversary. Aldene helped any and all who came to her door, and she had very little to give...she also was a good and decent woman who made the world a better place. And she died alone, in a hospital, clutching on to me thinking I was her son, in a ward where they stuck Medicare patients to die. And she did.

Wherever they are, let's hope it's better than here.
    I agree with your point about people passing all the time without such great send-offs. However, it was Diana's fame that made her death such a great outpouring of grief. People knew her from the media for over a decade and they supported her as well as admired her charity. In this sense, we felt like we knew her and we lost a dear friend, one who died far too soon and before her sons were even men. I think we hurt just as much for William and Harry as we did losing Diana because their mother loved them dearly and they lost an essential part of their lives so young.

The enormous waves of grief - even despair - that engulfed so many of us when Princess Diana died seemed to be part of something even bigger than sorrow. I've met a number of people who never thought much about her while she was alive, and yet the minute news of her death hit the airwaves, they were crushed - not just saddened, but flattened. It was as if major forces - societal, spiritual, political - met and ignited in her, sending out sparks that lit many lights; and when her flame went out, it felt simply catastrophic to people in that group.

There are also many who, though they didn't dislike Diana or wish her ill, felt no particular or special sadness when she died. It's almost as if one either has the "Princess Diana gene," or not - and many of those who do, didn't even realize it until she was gone and her death tripped the switch.

To this day, I feel Diana's loss in a personal and poignant way, though one doesn't speak much about it. I'm very glad that you started this thread in her honor, LTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    To this day, I feel Diana's loss in a personal and poignant way, though one doesn't speak much about it. I'm very glad that you started this thread in her honor, LTF.
    I do, too, that's why I did so and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

It's one of those remember where you were moments. I was at Ala Moana shopping center in Hawaii when a friend called my cell in tears.

Yes! I was having breakfast at a restaurant and it was as if all the air got sucked out of the room.

I had just gotten back from waterskiing with my cousin Holli and her fiancé Louie. It was on the news that she had been in a horrible accident in Paris, but we still thought she'd make it. My cousin Rachael's words still echo in my ears to this day, "She'll make it because she's so famous and getting the best emergency care available."

When they reported she died, the televisions in my house were always on for the latest information, and of course, the funeral. I can stlll hear the church's bells in the distance from England as we waited for the funeral day as they prepared her body.

I'd often go ride my bike to exercise and think or sing while riding and I can remember riding out in the night and singing sadly to myself while thinking of her.

I had no idea that my life would come crashing down so tragically less than two months later. 1997 was a fucked up year. We had the shocking murder of Versace (whose funeral Diana attended eerily), Diana's death, and then my own personal tragedy. I hate that year.

I had just moved into my new house in VA from NJ, we were there about 2 months so still settling in. My parents came to visit and that night I put my two babies to bed. When I came downstairs my mom was very upset, when she said Diana was killed I responded "oh that cant be, you've got that wrong". We sat silent in front of the TV listened and cried.

I'm very lucky. Though I don't have much in the way of family, my sister makes up for it alone. Do you know who she reminds me of? Lady Di ... in mannerisms, her hair (LOL!), her grace and her compassion.

Currently she's volunteering with the special olympians. She volunteers all the time and works full time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    She was a fine, loving lass, for sure, but there are millions of people like that who pass without a word said about them, or great extravaganzas held in their honor. Diana was mainly a media creation in Royalty-starved England (and the States, it seems) - the circumstances of her death and the identity of her bf only added to the media-fueled hysteria. She was a good and decent woman who tried to make the world a better place.

My neighbor Aldene died that same day, she was 85 years old, and she didn't have a soul in the world. I like to think of Aldene, who was a loving old gal who had a picture of Gen MacArthur hanging above her bed, and smoked and drank whiskey with me and the other neighbors, on this anniversary. Aldene helped any and all who came to her door, and she had very little to give...she also was a good and decent woman who made the world a better place. And she died alone, in a hospital, clutching on to me thinking I was her son, in a ward where they stuck Medicare patients to die. And she did.

Wherever they are, let's hope it's better than here.
    She had you and all that knew her. You remember her and that is more than millions of people have or ever will have. That is worth its weight in gold.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post

I had no idea that my life would come crashing down so tragically less than two months later. 1997 was a fucked up year. We had the shocking murder of Versace (whose funeral Diana attended eerily), Diana's death, and then my own personal tragedy. I hate that year.
    john denver also died that yr. i had just been to a concert and met him in may. he crashed in october. was a bad yr.

and i had moved back to seattle with my 4 yr old, on my own. discovered nm and an online community who got me thru many lonely, scary nights.