Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diana, Princess of Wales (1 July 1961 – 31 August 1997)

Diana, Princess of Wales (1 July 1961 – 31 August 1997)

Diana, Princess of Wales (1 July 1961 – 31 August 1997) You were the grace that placed itself where lives were torn apart; you called out to our country and you whispered to those in pain, now you belong to heaven and the stars spell out your name.

I can't believe it's been 13 years. I think of her all the time and it still saddens me as if it were yesterday she passed. Gone but never forgotten, Lady Di.

i'll never forget coming home late 13 yrs ago and had tv on (yes, had a tv then). when they said the princess of wales was dead, i thought they (or me) were mixing titles up. only 4 things have riveted me to tv in my lifetime: jfk, moon landing, draft lottery (had 2 older bros) and princess di.

I know exactly where I was ... reporting for work at the hospital for the midnight shift. The afternoon shift person was a huge royals fan and was almost in tears when she left, after I told her. We didn't know if she was alive or dead then.

David called me later to confirm the details. We went to sign a condelence book to be sent to the princes a few days later. In fact I still have my VCR tape (lol) of the funeral. Remember her brother's scathing remarks towards the Royals about her title?

They'll never be another like her. Not Chelsea Davey or Kate Middleton.

I absolutely love her, always will. Always.

We were at the Silver Dollar bar playing pool when it came on the news. It my my friend's boyfriend's 30th b-day.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Remember her brother's scathing remarks towards the Royals about her title?
    I do. She had a beautiful funeral. The crowd of grieving people watching as her coffin was driven was indicative of how many lives she touched and how beloved she was.

I remember being in the rehab and watching something on television about Princess Diana. I'd been paralyzed in October of 1997, so it was all still recent. My grandmother and I were watching it and I told her, "That's the saddest thing to happen this year." She looked at me and softly said, "No, honey, not the saddest." It was a sweet thing for a grandmother to tell her grandchild because I knew immediately what she meant.

I was at the Aragon Bar shooting pool and getting polluted. Must be a Minnesota thing, bars that is.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    We were at the Silver Dollar bar playing pool when it came on the news. It my my friend's boyfriend's 30th b-day.

She was a beautiful woman who unfortunately got tied up in a highly dysfunctional family. I liked her very much, and appreciated her honesty and her work with unpopular issues of the day. Had she lived I believe she could have been England's stateswoman, title or not.

She was a fine, loving lass, for sure, but there are millions of people like that who pass without a word said about them, or great extravaganzas held in their honor. Diana was mainly a media creation in Royalty-starved England (and the States, it seems) - the circumstances of her death and the identity of her bf only added to the media-fueled hysteria. She was a good and decent woman who tried to make the world a better place.

My neighbor Aldene died that same day, she was 85 years old, and she didn't have a soul in the world. I like to think of Aldene, who was a loving old gal who had a picture of Gen MacArthur hanging above her bed, and smoked and drank whiskey with me and the other neighbors, on this anniversary. Aldene helped any and all who came to her door, and she had very little to give...she also was a good and decent woman who made the world a better place. And she died alone, in a hospital, clutching on to me thinking I was her son, in a ward where they stuck Medicare patients to die. And she did.

Wherever they are, let's hope it's better than here.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!