Thread: Personal experience with RIC?

Personal experience with RIC?

Hi there,

I really appreciate this site....it's helped me a lot this past month.

My 19 year old son was injured 1 month ago in a diving accident. He broke his C5/C6...doesn't have any tricep, hand or leg movement, but he does have sensory everywhere. So far he hasn't gained anything (mobility or sensory) since the accident.

He has been in an inpatient rehab program for 2 weeks now. It was supposed to be a really good facility for SCI, but we're not happy with it at all. We only recently found out that many out of state rehab centers are in his insurance network, and we're trying to get him moved to RIC now. (It's apparently pretty complicated to do this, but we're hoping everything will work out.)

Anyway, I would love to know if anyone has any personal experience with RIC (good or bad)....or has any advice, suggestions etc. that would be useful to know. Thanks so much!

hi dsmartin,

this is actually my first post. i've been injured for almost a year now. i was in rehab at RIC in chicago for almost 5 months. i was really impressed with the facility(bad food tho). they've got excellent therapists there, and it is clear that they care for the patients. they also have the latest technology for incomplete spinal cord injury. on one of the floors they have a lokomat, which is designed to facilitate more function in the legs. i wasnt allowed to use it, because i am a complete injury, but i heard great things from my roomate who actually used it. he has since regained all of his leg muscles, albeit weak. while my experience at RIC was a good one, i have nothing to compare it to.

dsmartin,
    I am from Nebraska , did my origional Re-Hab at R.I.C. It is a very good place to go . I am five years post , and have learned a lot , so i know what to look for . I would highly recomend R.I.C. Can not go wrong there .
    Brad

Excellent reputation. Maybe you can call them and take tour.

CWO

Thank you all so much! I appreciate your input! We are still trying to get our son transferred to RIC, we hope to hear something soon. It sounds like a really good rehab facility and that is what our son needs right now.

My teenaged son is C4-5 incomplete Brown Sequard. He is discharged Friday from Shepherd (2 months inpatient, 1 month Day Program). We live about an hour away from RIC and will start some outpatient PT and OT there at the end of September.