Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Working from home

Working from home

Does anyone work from home?

I am considering going with a medical coding company doing coding from home. I have done it for years in hospitals.

I am thinking it could allow me to travel if I wanted as long as I had a high speed internet connection.

Anyone doing anything like this?
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I work from home too (computer programmer). I love it. If there are things that need a technician, I am here so that we can have it done. I love being home already when my work is done....no traffic...no headaches. I have a lot less stress than I used to. Go for it!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I did medical transcription from home for two years and it was wonderful. It wasn't my own company, but all I had to do was log on from my home computer and fulfill a quota for the day. As wheeliecoach says, no traffic and a lot less stress...and no leisure time wasted on the road between work and home.

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who does medical billing (coding?) from home. She's not disabled, but if you can find a position, it ought to work.

I've been self employed for 38 years now, always working from home. Different line of work, but it can work out.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

I work from home and love it. Twelve years, four years post SCI.
    Living the Dream, C6/C7 incomplete.

I work from home too, designer, got a tip though. train for something that has nothing to do with medicine or disability issues, break the mould.

Make yourself unpredictable, all too often those of us that have a disability are often "type cast" into jobs that have something to do with our situation.

I just reckon there are a lot of jobs out there that most people expect an able bod person can only do, well we can't dig trenches etc. thats insane, but we can surely find employment in fields other than what people expect, much less ourselves.

My experience of fellow disabled people that work in allied medical industries is that they soon become infected by that industries smug self satisfaction and officiousness and they soon become as close minded as their able bod colleagues to the disabled people they are working to help.

Let's face it all medical related jobs are related to disability in one way or another and from what I see they have to have complete control of all aspects of our lives, fuck that shit, I do exactly what I want, I manage my disability in MY way I don't need to inhabit or participate in that sleazy machine. I can relinquish control if I become sick and need a doctor. but I will NOT be one of it's willing participants, much less a poorly paid employee of it.

Self Righteous...You Betcha!

Quote Originally Posted by WahWah View Post
    I work from home too, designer, got a tip though. train for something that has nothing to do with medicine or disability issues, break the mould.

Make yourself unpredictable, all too often those of us that have a disability are often "type cast" into jobs that have something to do with our situation.

I just reckon there are a lot of jobs out there that most people expect an able bod person can only do, well we can't dig trenches etc. thats insane, but we can surely find employment in fields other than what people expect, much less ourselves.

My experience of fellow disabled people that work in allied medical industries is that they soon become infected by that industries smug self satisfaction and officiousness and they soon become as close minded as their able bod colleagues to the disabled people they are working to help.

Let's face it all medical related jobs are related to disability in one way or another and from what I see they have to have complete control of all aspects of our lives, fuck that shit, I do exactly what I want, I manage my disability in MY way I don't need to inhabit or participate in that sleazy machine. I can relinquish control if I become sick and need a doctor. but I will NOT be one of it's willing participants, much less a poorly paid employee of it.

Self Righteous...You Betcha!
    What I do in Medical REcords has nothing to do with disability. It is reading Medical records and pulling information out of them so that insurance companies pay what the hospital is due to be paid. It is technical, challenging, and everchanging. I need that to keep my mind going. The pay is actually really good and quite competitive. I can also build on it with other certifications. It is what I like to do. It is the closest thing to being a nurse that I can be without the physical work of a nurse.

I understand what you are talking about though. I would not be able to do your job because its just not me.

I am hoping I can get my pain under control so that I can even work from home though. Right now I am miserable and just hanging on by a thread.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Yep, fair enough.

Oh god yes, you do have to keep that mind tickin' and any employment is preferable to feeling sad and I mean really if it's a good job for situation exploit but of course enjoy it and the wages.

Good Luck to you working from is great!

God, I left some words out....lol, I was saying working from home is great....posting from an iPhone is bloody hard work. Small keys.

I work partly from home 2-3 days a week and the rest in the office to accommodate meetings and absolutely love this set up. I plod down to the kitchen, make a pot of coffee and start the day working in my pj's most of the time! LOL. I am a policy writer for the government - among other things. One word of advice - make sure you are appropriately egonomically set up and that you have a dedicated office area away from the living are if you can. That way, you can be 'at work' and 'away from work'. If you can swing it, I highly recommend it. I find my productivity way up on the days when I'm working from home as I have fewer breaks in concentration.