Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you do to keep your wheelchair clean?

What do you do to keep your wheelchair clean?

So, you get a brand new wheelchair......and it is good....it is clean....and then.....it is dusty, dirty, grimy.
    How do you clean the chair....get into all the nooks, crannies, and crevices clean?
    Do you use special cleaning solutions?
    How do you reduce the static electricity that seems to glue gunk to your chair?
    What is the best color of chair to keep clean?
    Do you care if your chair is dirty or clean?
    Who cleans your chair? At the car wash, you can get your car/van detailed...does anyone detail their wheelchair?
    What is the wierdest thing/dirt/stuff, you have found somewhere in/on your chair?
    How often do you take the cushion cover off of the cushion and clean your cushion according to manufacturer's instructions? And when you do clean your cushion.....ugh....what do find there????
    Curious minds want to know?????

Hey....take care....
    GJ

"scrubbing bubbles" bathroom cleaner, roll-in shower, rinse it off. Not great for bearings and doesn't do a perfect job but helps. This morning I took about 45 minutes to shine my billet aluminum casters and spinergy wheels, I just wiped them down with sanitary wipes. Shiny in the sun. About once every 3 months I take the time to do this.

Weirdest thing I've found? hmmm... a pebble lodged in my backrest hinge. How it got there I'll never know. That and peas dried up from time to time. Now that I'm doing alot of car transfers most things disappear when breaking down the chair to put it in the car. dimes and pennies left beside the car often times. I'm bad for throwing change between my legs when I get it.

Cushion cover once a week remove it and throw it in the washer with some towels and fabric softener (I like Gain), I have 2 cushions so it makes it easy. Hang the cover to dry overnight. I'll usually just wipe down the cushion with a sanitary wipe before zipping the cover back on.

I'm a low quad that only uses a manual chair, no idea how to keep a power chair nice. I've seen some really disgusting power chairs in my short time of wheelchair usage. Usually their connected to an equally disgusting quad that could care less.

I figure polished aluminum and titanium that costs thousands of dollars is worth a little time to keep it looking respectable. First few car transfer scrapes and scratches pissed me off, now I look at them as badges of honor.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    I've seen some really disgusting power chairs in my short time of wheelchair usage. Usually their connected to an equally disgusting quad that could care less.

OUCH! Judgemental much? Let he that is without upper body function try to cast the first stone, and all that....

Gosh, could a high quad possibly have any other reasons for their chair not meeting your exacting standards? I can't imagine....

How 'bout a little empathy dude? Or at least some sympathy? Failing that, how 'bout some common fucking courtesy?

Just sayin'.........

keeping my chr clean is like the very, very last thing on my to do list. get real. that's like worrying bout my van getting washed. geesh. got a few more items way above those.

I have someone spray it off in a self serve carwash. My husband just did it today on our way home from town. That's my prefered method as it blasts out the nooks & crannies. Of course, I clean my cushion & it's cover by hand/washing machine. I've never had a chair damaged in 25 years. Don't think I'd try that on a power chair though.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

I use disinfectant wipes daily for a quick cleanup of chair. They are damp and the dirt seems to cling to them. The metal surfaces feel cleaner after using these then after most other cleaning techniques.

I consider having a clean chair the same way as wearing a clean shirt or having clean shoes-particularly for those of us working in an office everday or otherwise representing ourselves in public. A smelly cripple with a grimy chair in a pair of dirty, crooked sweat pants...yeah...that's not exactly an image that does the disabled community any good. Caring about yourself, particularly about how clean and sanitary you and/or your equpiment happens to be is the first step in caring about anything, IMO. You don't have to be the one who does the work, of you can't. Sheesh..we pay people to stick their fingers up our butts we can get someone to wipe the filth off our chairs once and a while.

I started using stephen212's method he posted here a while back. I shower in my everyday chair at least once a week and wash it along with me.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

How do you clean the chair....get into all the nooks, crannies, and crevices clean?
    I`ve got a rigid chair without any adjustes, so is easier to clean because is only a frame tube welded.
    Do you use special cleaning solutions?
    No, i cloth and some cleaning solutions that my wife have for forniture or windows.
    How do you reduce the static electricity that seems to glue gunk to your chair?
    cleaning it, i don`t give rise to have dirt in my chair.

What is the best color of chair to keep clean?
    Probably grey or white.
    Do you care if your chair is dirty or clean?
    Of course, is like i care that go out home with clean clothes.
    Who cleans your chair?
    Me

What is the wierdest thing/dirt/stuff, you have found somewhere in/on your chair?
    Nothing special

How often do you take the cushion cover off of the cushion and clean your cushion according to manufacturer's instructions?
    In summer once a week and in winter less.

And when you do clean your cushion.....ugh....what do find there????

Nothing, what is supposed to be found on a cushion?

Someone with a chair full of shit is just a pig.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    [COLOR=black] And when you do clean your cushion.....ugh....what do find there????

Nothing, what is supposed to be found on a cushion?

Someone with a chair full of shit is just a pig.
    LOL!!!
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

windex, old toothbrush, soft rag, TV, tv remote and a lazy boy chair are what i use to keep my chair clean. try to do it at least 2 times a month