Thread: omental transposition +china

omental transposition +china

Yet this procedure, which is routinely used in China and South America for cerebral palsy, Alzheimer's disease, and spinal cord injury, is inexplicably ignored in this country by neurologists and surgeons, whose patients would benefit enormously

QUESTION :IS THERE ANY SITE OR ANY HOSPITAL IN CHINA THAT CAN WE LEARN MORE.?

sinbad

There have been several attempts in the U.S., England, and Canada to assess the omentum technology and almost every clinical trial, at least on spinal cord injury, have not shown beneficial effects that would justify the expense and risk of the surgery. This is not new technology. Harry Goldsmith reported his first attempts to use omentum on the brain nearly 20 years ago. There are several overseas centers that routinely do pedicled and free omentum grafts in spinal cord injury. Particularly, most of the activities in South America appears to be stemming from an active group in Cuba that has been transplanting omentum to the spinal cords of people for over 10 years. My colleagues in Brazil, for example, tell me that they see dozens of patients who have had omentum transplants done in Cuba. Likewise, there are at least two Centers in China that do omentum transplants. But, even within China, nobody seems to know what the results of the studies have been. When I visited China two years ago, I asked my hosts about omentum transplants and they confirmed that there are centers that do the operation but acknowledge that they do not know what the results have been.

In my opinion, omentum transplant is very interesting and has not yet been adequately explored. I find Carl Kao's use of the omentum particularly interesting. He seems to be using omentum to prevent adhesive scarring between the spinal cord and dura. In the pictures of Ed Lancaster's operation, the omentum is the yellow tissue (it is yellow because the omentum contains fat). Because it is not a pedicled flap with vascular connections, it is not a vascular source as such but rather a barrier to prevent scar formation. In my opinion, it is a innovative and important use of omentum that more neurosurgeons should consider, since dural scarring and adhesion is one of the main causes of postoperative complications in spinal surgery.

Wise.

Quick correction Dr. Young...."In the pictures of Ed Lancaster's operation, the omentum is the yellow tissue..." His name is Ed Paige not Ed Lancaster. (his companion is Teddy Lancaster, thus the confusion). No biggy!