Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air cooled cushion

Air cooled cushion

Hi Everyone-Has anyone ever used an air cooled cushion? My mom is wondering if something like that could help to relieve my dad's nerve pain. She's wondering if the heat of sitting is contributing to the pain.

My question would be, would this make him cold?

Thanks!

Everyone's different but cold makes my nerve pain worse. Heat on my legs is the most soothing. I'd like air cooled cushion to keep the sweating down. During the summer I have to change my wet pants at least once a day because of it. A little AC down there would be nice!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Some cushions now offer covers that use a spongy breathable layer beneath the fabric. The Roho Hybrid Elite, J3 "microclimatic" cover, and the Ride Designs cushion are examples of these types of covers.

Cool, thanks for the 411. I'd love to try a Ride cushion but there are no dealers in my state. Actually, Im going for my first official seating evaluation next week at Woodrow Wilson Rehab Center in Fishersville, VA. 4.5 years after my crash and I'm finally having an evaluation. Funny. Passive AC cushions sound like a nice idea.

What cushions does everyone use? I got a
    Roho High Profile Cushion- Single Compartment

cooling cushion

Aquila Corp makes an automatic cushion that has an option called the moisture control unit. It is a blower fan that fits into the front of the cushion and it blows 10 cubic feet of air per minute right down the center pathway of the cushion between the cells. The fan fits inside a utility pouch that snaps onto the cushion cover. The fan operation is automatic coming on at the same time the pump turns on to inflate the areas of the cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Actually, Im going for my first official seating evaluation next week at Woodrow Wilson Rehab Center in Fishersville, VA. 4.5 years after my crash and I'm finally having an evaluation. Funny
    I've heard some good things about the staff at Woodrow Wilson. Still, I'd love to be hidden someplace nearby so I could hear the discussions taking place during your evaluation.

Q: So what wheelchair do you use?
    A: A Quickie GT, a Marvel M1, and a Lasher BT-Mg.

I used to own an XTR, but I cracked the frame after remounting the forks to improve its dynamic stability. The GT has been relegated to "chicken shit" duty.
    So I guess you could say I use a Lasher BT-Mg and a Marvel M1. I'm sure you guys have spec'd out a ton of those, haven't you?

I use a JetStream back in a 1" wider size. Todd Hargroder, President of ADI helped with that. Oh, and I also have D's Locks on the Lasher and use both Spinergy and Rogue Tundra wheels with a variety of tires.
    Q: In your experience with your chairs, what has worked well and what hasn't?
    The GT is a great chair to use when I don't want to get my other two chairs contaminated with bird feces.

I can still remember the day I took the Lasher out of the box.
    Despite their lead times, the Lasher's are pretty decent people to work with.

I got the Marvel a short time later....

I had to do some minor adjustments to the Marvel to achieve the lower extremity positioning and pressure management objectives for my own plan of seating/wheeled intervention.

BTW, the two creators of that chair, Jeff and Christian, are also pretty cool. They were kicked out of their company, but I still keep in touch....
    Do you use the Lasher or Marvel as your primary chair? How did you decide?
    Well much of the time I use the Lasher, but I prefer to use the Marvel when...

Now, that I think about it, is there a computer hooked up to the Internet nearby?

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=120725&page=7

Hopefully, they can help resolve whatever issue you are
    going there for. Just be careful you don't wind up leaving with a job offer in hand!

Dang...now that's funny. That guy is a nut case.

(I'm going for pressure mapping and shopping, the right way, for a new cushion, actually. My wife has said no more chairs until at least one goes. I'm thinking I won't miss the All Court as I don't play bball any more......though I'm sure she wasn't referring to the one chair out in the shed!!)

OK...funny you remembered I broke the XTR (and that I have chickens in my backyard!). It was given to me, and had a few years on it already...so I'm sure it wasn't all my fault!!! I've recently bent the Lasher, too, but managed to get it back to "almost" right.

You never know...Medicare hasn't given me any $ for a chair yet...I'm thinking a fixed back Crossfire may be in my future...IF the seating folks say I simply MUST have a new chair.

Although...a shiny polished fixed back ZR2 wouldn't be too shabby either...even though Medicare won't pay...

WHOA! What am I talking about...back away from the computer...no new chair...no new chair...no new chair...cushion shopping only...cushion...cushion...

...but a Ride Designs cushion would probably require a new chair (different front and rear STF heights may be necessary to accommodate the cushion).

Oh hell...say it ain't so! They told me to bring all my chairs...so we'll see!