Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venus de Miles bike ride (+1 handcyclist)

Venus de Miles bike ride (+1 handcyclist)

(Given the mileage that most people seem to get in, this hardly seems worth posting, but what the hell.)

This Sunday I'm doing my first mass bike ride with a couple thousand of my closest friends: the Venus de Miles.

I'm signed up for the 33 mile option (billed as a "relaxing 33-mile jaunt through the scenic countryside" - as opposed to the "heart pounding 51-mile course" and of course the "calf-cramping 67-mile ride"). Based on my training rides so far, anything under 4 hours will make me a happy woman.

Wish me luck.

Good luck and have fun! I just did a 22 mile ride in the Jasper Strassenfest Bicycle ride, I was told it was fairly flat. It had at least 3 10 & 11% grade hills, fortunately, they only last for about 1/2 a mile. I should have known better, there is nothing flat around Jasper.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    (Given the mileage that most people seem to get in, this hardly seems worth posting, but what the hell.)

This Sunday I'm doing my first mass bike ride with a couple thousand of my closest friends: the Venus de Miles.

I'm signed up for the 33 mile option (billed as a "relaxing 33-mile jaunt through the scenic countryside" - as opposed to the "heart pounding 51-mile course" and of course the "calf-cramping 67-mile ride"). Based on my training rides so far, anything under 4 hours will make me a happy woman.

Wish me luck.
    33 miles is more than worth posting about!!! I'm sure you are going to have a great time.

have fun katja. what is the route?

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    have fun katja. what is the route?
    Here it is: http://beta.mapmyride.com/route/detail/20284978/ (I hope that link works).

thanks. Mapmyride is pretty cool. So it is in Longmont.

Yes - the mid distance ride also goes to Lyons, and the long ride goes up Lefthand Canyon to Jamestown (those folks will have fun!).

The ride went well.

At the recommendation of some other handcyclists, I started with the longer ride participants - the 67 mile riders started between 7:00 - 7:30, the 51 mile riders between 8:00 - 8:30, and the 33 mile riders not until 9:00.

Because of this, for about half the course there were many other riders around me, and for the second half I was pretty much by myself, as the other 33 mile riders weren't there yet. I was interested to discover that I was much happier, mentally, on the second half, even though I think of myself as a very socially-oriented extrovert.

In the first half, I was just being passed constantly. Passed by very encouraging, friendly women, but passed nonetheless.

In the second half, with no one around to compare myself to, I didn't feel as bad.

My splits were good: 8mph/6.5mph/10mph/10.2mph (first half uphill, second half downhill, surprise) for an overall speed of 9mph.

awesome
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

That's great!