Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Covington man first to get new procedure

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity View Post
    Interesting. I didn't see a description of what it does. Does it relax the sphincter or just trigger peristalsis?
    Source:
    Preliminary findings in subjects with spinal cord injury (SCI) suggest that neostigmine administered intravenously increases colonic tone, increases colonic contractions, and facilitates bowel evacuation. Of concern are potential pulmonary side effects, including an increase in airway secretions and bronchospasm. (Source)
    Glycopyrrolate attenuates the pulmonary issues, so the combination could be useful. I'd prefer it to suppositories any day of the week, if it's effective.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    Source:
    Preliminary findings in subjects with spinal cord injury (SCI) suggest that neostigmine administered intravenously increases colonic tone, increases colonic contractions, and facilitates bowel evacuation. Of concern are potential pulmonary side effects, including an increase in airway secretions and bronchospasm. (Source)
    Glycopyrrolate attenuates the pulmonary issues, so the combination could be useful. I'd prefer it to suppositories any day of the week, if it's effective.
    I get the colonic tone and contractions but how does it facilitate evacuation? Sounds like it would most effective for those with flaccid as opposed to spastic sphincters.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity View Post
    I get the colonic tone and contractions but how does it facilitate evacuation? Sounds like it would most effective for those with flaccid as opposed to spastic sphincters.
    It may be an adjunct therapy, so suppositories may still be needed.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Wink

quote:

an injection of his stem cells into his spinal cord that may help him regain use of his lower body.

hey, doctor is doing this because he might believe that he can get some function back for his patient who knows, he might get it.

How is this possible? I read that there is next to no evidence
    that would suggest administering cells intrathecally is an
    effective method of treatment. Yet, they claim to have submitted
    preclinical data to the FDA that proves the opposite.

This study is based on preclinical (animal) studies showing that infusing bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells into the spinal fluid may contribute to improving neurologic function in animal models with spinal cord injuries.
    source

Where is the animal data? I've looked.

I bring this up because I stumbled on the article in the news
    and remembered reading about it on here. Yeah, it says that
    the trial is to assess safety, but they still claim to have
    done basically what Xcell does and it worked in animal models.