Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Covington man first to get new procedure

Covington man first to get new procedure

Covington man first to get new procedure
    Weekend profile
    By Debbie Glover
    St. Tammany News
    Published on Sunday, August 22, 2010 12:23 AM CDT

The first patient to undergo an adult stem cell procedure that may help spinal cord injury patients regain function had an injection Thursday that may change the course of medical history.

Sitting in his den Thursday morning, surrounded by pictures of Dr. John, Matt Cole, the patient, was cool, calm and collected. His wife Kim was with him, and he answered questions for documentation of the medical procedure he was about to undertake – an injection of his stem cells into his spinal cord that may help him regain use of his lower body.

read....

http://www.thesttammanynews.com/arti...2936100930.txt

What's going on; how is this a legitiate trial and we've never heard of it till now?

Wow! How awesome! I live in the same parish. He's 20 minutes from me.

Is this similar to what is being done at X Cell in Germany?

I'll never understand how we never see those comming. And it's just an online newspaper so not a good source.

Good news anyways.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Source:
    Further study details as provided by TCA Cellular Therapy:

Primary Outcome Measures:
    Safety [*Time*Frame:*12 months*] [*Designated*as*safety*issue:*Yes*]
    Phase I trial to assess safety of intrathecal infusion of autologous mesenchymal stem cell treatment in spinal cord injury.

Estimated Enrollment: 10
    Study Start Date: July 2010
    Estimated Study Completion Date: June 2012
    Estimated Primary Completion Date: March 2012 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)
    Intervention Details:
    Biological: autologous mesenchymal stem cells
    Intrathecal infusion of a single dose of ex vivo expanded MSC
    Detailed Description:
    A Phase I, single-center trial to assess the safety and tolerability of an intrathecal infusion (lumbar puncture) of autologous, ex vivo expanded bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells in a well-defined population of spinal cord injury patients.

Safety will be evaluated by neurological and non-neurological tests performed after short-term (1 to 30 days) and long-term (2 to 12 months)follow-up evaluation periods after cell infusion. (Source)
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    Source:
    Further study details as provided by TCA Cellular Therapy:

Primary Outcome Measures:
    Safety [*Time*Frame:*12 months*] [*Designated*as*safety*issue:*Yes*]
    Phase I trial to assess safety of intrathecal infusion of autologous mesenchymal stem cell treatment in spinal cord injury.

Estimated Enrollment: 10
    Study Start Date: July 2010
    Estimated Study Completion Date: June 2012
    Estimated Primary Completion Date: March 2012 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)
    Intervention Details:
    Biological: autologous mesenchymal stem cells
    Intrathecal infusion of a single dose of ex vivo expanded MSC
    Detailed Description:
    A Phase I, single-center trial to assess the safety and tolerability of an intrathecal infusion (lumbar puncture) of autologous, ex vivo expanded bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells in a well-defined population of spinal cord injury patients.

Safety will be evaluated by neurological and non-neurological tests performed after short-term (1 to 30 days) and long-term (2 to 12 months)follow-up evaluation periods after cell infusion. (Source)
    Thank you Steven! So is this the same thing that came out last week from TCA too?

How many trials do we have on the way then total?
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Quote Originally Posted by 0xSquidy View Post
    Thank you Steven! So is this the same thing that came out last week from TCA too?
    Yeah.

How many trials do we have on the way then total?
    130 are currently or will soon be recruiting (Source), but they're not all for us.

I'm looking forward to these non-cure results, personally.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Yeah.

130 are currently or will soon be recruiting (Source), but they're not all for us.

Interesting. I didn't see a description of what it does. Does it relax the sphincter or just trigger peristalsis?

Yeah.

I've been searching on this website, but it's hard to find the "good" stuff i.e. transplantation of any kind (bone marrow, umbilical, OEG etc) in chronic and complete SCI.

Trials like Wise's, Vaquero's, TCA's etc