Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent Injury July 05th 2010

Angry Recent Injury July 05th 2010

Hello Friends,
    My brother had a T12-L1 fracture last month. He is undergoing PT and OT now.
    He had a complete injury with ASIA level A injury. His injury level was upto L1 but now he has regained sensation from L1 upto L4.
    I remember his neurosurgeon saying that sensation is the last thing to regain.
    Is this information correct? Is there any hope of motor and bladder bowel recovery.

Regards
    NChopda

There is always hope! As long as he continues to work hard he can have a very rewarding and active lifestyle. My son is ASIA A and has not seen any return but he has gotten much stronger and can do most things he puts his mind to. He is T4 so our focus has been torso/core strength and balance, we have seen tremendous progress there.

My son is L1 with function to L3. He has sensation to the ankles (except for saddle area). When he was first injured there was no sensation below the waist. We found that sensation and function returned on their own, when they were ready. No rhyme, no reason. Some things came back, some things didn't. The best thing is to not lose hope and to keep working hard. Exercise has played a key role in his recovery. I can't say enough about making the most of every single muscle that you can control.
    Does your brother have any movement below the level of injury? What have they tried so far in PT? Leg braces? the parallel bars, etc. He continues to gain strength every day. Actual functional return seems to have peaked at about the 2 year mark.

Don't give up hope.

Best wishes.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Thanks Sharon and Lucy. My brother does not have any movement yet, but his sensation has increased from knees to his toes (nothing on the soles yet).
    Also he walked a few steps yesterday with leg braces. He is doing parallel bars etc and also upper body strengthning.
    Lucy did your continue with outpatient PT for 2 years or was he doing his PT from home.
    Also what was his ASIA after the injury. DO let me know.
    Thanks for your help

Cool alternative therapy

Its been 3 and half months since my brother was injured. he has gained sensation in his lower half completely except S2 and S3. No bowel movement control or no motor movement yet.
    what are the options from here
    1. Electrical Stimualtion ( how much current should be applied)
    2. Accupressure and Accupuncture (any side effects)
    3. What else?

Please let me know if you have anymore leads for him

Quote Originally Posted by nchopda View Post
    Its been 3 and half months since my brother was injured. he has gained sensation in his lower half completely except S2 and S3. No bowel movement control or no motor movement yet.
    what are the options from here
    1. Electrical Stimualtion ( how much current should be applied)
    2. Accupressure and Accupuncture (any side effects)
    3. What else?

Please let me know if you have anymore leads for him
    I don't think #1 will work. I have motoneuron damage too
    and stim did nothing.

hi buck
    thanks for your comment.
    how do a person know if he/she have motoneuron damage or not. does it mean that since she/he does not have any motor movement yet.
    also is there a certain pattern for recovery, i mean
    does motor come before sensation or vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    There is always hope! . . .
    Do you mean "there is always hope" for bladder bowel recovery for someone who has a complete injury?

If you have paralysis, you have motor neuron damage. It may be upper motor neuron, or lower motor neuron, or both, depending on the location and extent of the injury.

Return can occur within the first 2 years or longer. There is no way to predict how much or what type of return will occur, if it should occur. Not everyone gets return, but the hope that it will occur should not be discouraged.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If you have paralysis, you have motor neuron damage. It may be upper motor neuron, or lower motor neuron, or both, depending on the location and extent of the injury.

Return can occur within the first 2 years or longer. There is no way to predict how much or what type of return will occur, if it should occur. Not everyone gets return, but the hope that it will occur should not be discouraged.

(KLD)
    Thank you for explaining this and thank you for saying "hope that it will occur should not be discouraged".