Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Judge stops federal funding of embryonic stem cell research

Thumbs down Judge stops federal funding of embryonic stem cell research

Washington (CNN) -- A U.S. district judge granted a preliminary injunction Monday to stop federal funding of embryonic stem cell research that he said destroys embryos, ruling it went against the will of Congress.

The ruling by Judge Royce C. Lamberth was a blow to the Obama administration, which last year issued guidelines to allow federal funding for embryonic stem cell research.

Lamberth's ruling said all embryonic stem cell research involves destroying embryos, which violates the Dickey-Wicker Amendment included in federal spending bills.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/23/ste...ex.html?hpt=T1

I suspect this will be remedied fairly quickly with a new law changing the Dickey-Wicker amendment.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

"Lamberth's ruling said all embryonic stem cell research involves destroying embryos"

LOL, what do they think they'll do with the embryos anyways? Feed them forever?

Let's all pray because we are saving souls by not conducting research with hESC... God bless you and thank god blabla...
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I suspect this will be remedied fairly quickly with a new law changing the Dickey-Wicker amendment.
    I wouldn't bet the rent on Congress changing Dickey-Wicker.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

WASHINGTON – A federal judge on Monday temporarily blocked government rules expanding stem cell research, a blow to the Obama administration that could stall potentially lifesaving research.

The nonprofit group Nightlight Christian Adoptions contends that the government's new guidelines will decrease the number of human embryos available for adoption. Nightlight helps individuals adopt human embryos that are being stored in fertilization clinics. The group provides domestic, international and embryo adoption services to families in all 50 states.
    source

I don't care if people look to god, science or both to provide a remedy for SCI. Where I do take a stand is against the STUPID claim that it is more moral to treat surplus embryos from fertility clinics as medical waste than to use them to alleviate human suffering. I hate such stupidity, GOD hates it too.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 08-23-2010 at 07:29 PM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Here is what I read:

Obama stem cell regulations temporarily blocked

August 23,

WASHINGTON (AP) - A federal judge on Monday temporarily blocked Obama administration regulations expanding stem cell research.

The nonprofit group Nightlight Christian Adoptions contends that the government’s new guidelines will decrease the number of human embryos available for adoption.
    U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth ruled that the plaintiffs are entitled to bring their lawsuit in the courts.
    A federal appeals court had ruled that two doctors who were among those bringing the lawsuit, adult stem cell researchers James Sherely of the Boston Biomedical Research Institute and Theresa Deisher of AVM Biotechnlogy, had the authority to do so, prompting Lamberth to reverse a decision he made last October.
    Nightlight helps individuals adopt human embryos that are being stored in fertilization clinics. It began the program in 1997, using some of more than 400,000 frozen embryos.
    Lamberth concluded that those filing the lawsuit have demonstrated a strong likelihood of success in arguing that the new government guidelines violate a law that prohibits the use of federal funds for research in which human embryos are destroyed.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    I don't care if people look to god, science or both to provide a remedy for SCI. Where I do take a stand is against the STUPID claim that it is more moral to treat surplus embryos from fertility clinics as medical waste than to use them to alleviate human suffering. I hate such stupidity, GOD hates it too.
    Exactly.

I wonder if we'll hear cries about "activist judges" from the right on this one like we did when the judge in California overturned the gay marriage ban. I bet we don't.

This is...I lack the words...mind-boggling on so many levels. Adopting embryos? Wtf? It's not enough that 30,000 kids starve to death every day and millions more suffer severe neglect and hardship, they worry there won't be enough EMBRYOS for adoption? Do they tuck their petrie dishes in at night? Is that why they're called Nightlight? Someone, please, what am I missing that such a claim could be the basis for a successful lawsuit? The greedy rival researchers I can at least understand.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's bullshit too, but on the brighter side, aren't there many other sources for stemcells?
    My point is: it can't be altogether stopped. The snowball is rolling downhill and getting bigger
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

There'll be a stay on this injunction soon enough, so no need to worry.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.