Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Injury July 11, 2010

Unhappy New Injury July 11, 2010

My younger brother was in a car accident on July 11th, 2010. He was in the back seat of an excursion. He was 1 of 6 passengers. The driver thought he could make a left turn, but he couldn’t. My brother was the only one ejected from the car and the only one hurt. He suffered a traumatic brain injury along with a c5 injury. He has just started waking up from his coma around august 19th, 2010. He has been trying to move and his determination is amazing. He’s already improved movement in his left arm and can move his right arm pretty well. No movement in the fingers yet. We’ve seen plenty of leg movement but we don’t get too excited because it might just be a reaction, but I think any movement is good movement. I keep reading about brain or spinal injuries. I haven’t been able to find a story with someone who has both injuries like my brother. He was a very active baseball player and only 17 years old. I pray for a miracle everyday. We are starting to look for rehab facilities and will stop at nothing to get him the best. I read about this rehab in Atlanta that treated a boy with an incomplete C5 injury and the boy is now a cyclist and cross country runner. They haven’t confirmed yet but they’re pretty sure my brother has an incomplete injury. I would like to know how CJ is doing now almost 2 years later, if you don’t mind. And I’d love to hear other survivor stories for encouragement. My mother and father are devastated, any hope and encouragement that I can give them is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalme001 View Post
    My younger brother was in a car accident on July 11th, 2010. He was in the back seat of an excursion. He was 1 of 6 passengers. The driver thought he could make a left turn, but he couldn’t. My brother was the only one ejected from the car and the only one hurt. He suffered a traumatic brain injury along with a c5 injury. He has just started waking up from his coma around august 19th, 2010. He has been trying to move and his determination is amazing. He’s already improved movement in his left arm and can move his right arm pretty well. No movement in the fingers yet. We’ve seen plenty of leg movement but we don’t get too excited because it might just be a reaction, but I think any movement is good movement. I keep reading about brain or spinal injuries. I haven’t been able to find a story with someone who has both injuries like my brother. He was a very active baseball player and only 17 years old. I pray for a miracle everyday. We are starting to look for rehab facilities and will stop at nothing to get him the best. I read about this rehab in Atlanta that treated a boy with an incomplete C5 injury and the boy is now a cyclist and cross country runner. They haven’t confirmed yet but they’re pretty sure my brother has an incomplete injury. I would like to know how CJ is doing now almost 2 years later, if you don’t mind. And I’d love to hear other survivor stories for encouragement. My mother and father are devastated, any hope and encouragement that I can give them is great.
    God bless your family. The road is a long one. I haven't got much back but I wanted to say even if they say he's complete he may not be. People make mistakes. My Dr said incomplete at the 1st hospital. Then complete at the Rehab. They said I'd never move anything. To stop trying & I did. Then I get here & Wise went over what I could feel & I'm incomplete. I still may have been the same but who knows if I'd tried I might have got back more. It's just a word. Have him work out & forget that word. Try as hard as he can to do everything! I pray God works a miracle for him. God bless him!

Welcome to CC. There's a world of information here.

Our daughter is a c5 c6 incomplete see her blog at Roll 2 Walk Austin, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Kalme001 View Post

It has been 3 long years and our daughter is still having return of movement. Checkout her blog http://thesam4r2wblog.blogspot.com/2...-workouts.html. We go every month for 3 to 5 days, 3 hr. workouts and this time an amazing thing happened. She was able to keep herself upright leaning on a table with little or no support from her trainers Chad and Gray. Posture isn't perfect, but she was thrilled. Please see the video at her blog spot. She's been going to Roll 2 Walk, Austin since Jan 2010 and in between college she has been doing physical therapy. We have had doctors tell us that she wouldn't be able to do half the things she's already accomplished and doing. I had one doctor tell me she wouldn't be able to use her arms any more and I said to him you don't know my daughter's determination to get out of this wheelchair. She was sent home with a power chair to get around and she asked her physical therapist to fit her to a manual chair. This was only after 2 months post injury. She's still using her manual chair more often than her power chair. It keeps her posture in line to be in the manual chair. So after many months of justifying an assisting manual chair our insurance covered costs for another chair. What I have found out all that has happened in the past 3 yrs. plus it never hurts to ask WHY. I hope everything turns out for your brother and hang in there. Welcome to the BEST site about SCI (spinal cord injuries)!
    Aggie Mom 2007

Welcome to CCC. I'm sorry that your brother's injuries have brought you to this site, but there is a lot of information here and help from people who have had similar spinal cord injuries. You might benefit from searching this site by going to the top right of the page to the Google logo, in the box type in the level of your brother's spinal cord injury, check CareCure Forums, and search. You will find many entries to explore.

You might also find more specific information about Traumatic Brain Injury at another forum website: http://traumaticbraininjuryforum.com/

There is a lot for you and your parents to learn and I know it seems overwhelming. Take care of yourselves, listen to your brother's medical team, ask questions or search here for information about rehab centers, and be supportive and encourage your brother to work hard in rehab. He has a big job in front of him. GJ and I wish you, your parents and especially your brother, all the best on this journey. Stay connected and give us updates and progress reports.

Check out this video for information on top Rehabilitation Hospitals in America. http://www.5min.com/Video/Spinal-Cor...eview-26155558

Sincerely,
    NL

Last edited by gjnl; 08-23-2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: add website

Hello Kalme,

I have a C5-C6 injury from many years ago. I know what his parents are going through as I saw what my injury did to my parents. The SCI nurse will respond and give you exceptional advise...advise I wish I had many years ago.

Where are you located? Check this out: http://www.shepherd.org/

Good luck.
    Last edited by Millard; 08-23-2010 at 05:28 PM.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Karina,
    I am CJ's mom and I just sent you an email to the personal one you sent me. Everyone one here is very nice and very informative and they will all answer any questions you have. CJ is doing great. He is still a c5/c6 but he can do so much now. He can even put on his own shirt now! He has made great leaps! Have faith be strong and stay positive. Please email me anytime.

Sending you my very best wishes. I use the search feature on this site and find a lot of good information.
    Please keep us updated.

Welcome to CCC, although I am sorry for the circumstances of your being here. Your brother definitely needs a top flight rehab center to maximize his recovery. You mentioned Atlanta, and I know the Shepard Center has a wonderful reputation.

Where you take your brother now is critical to his recovery. Shepard In Atlanta, Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore, Shriners in Philly are all centers that take patients under the age of 18.

My son did his reahb at KKI and they also have a brain injury recovery center. I highly recommend KKI, he has a lower level injury but is completely independent, we do very little for him. His injury is only 9 months old and he has a very active lifestyle, he continues to get return of sensation and we are hopeful for recovery of function.

PM me if you want more info on KKI. I am in Baltimore all week with my son at KKI's out patient rehab.

Hi, Kalme, welcome.
    It seems like the only sure thing about SCI is you can't be sure about what's going to happen.

Right now, the best thing you can do is act as your brother's advocate, since he can't do that for a while. He needs that more than anything. Do as you are doing now - research, learn, ask questions, determine what's the best for him, and keep pushing to get it for him. Question authority - stand up to any doctor/nurse who isn't doing what you think is best.

The people here on CareCure are the best in the world regarding experience; the nurses and Wise the best in the world regarding care. As you see from their posts already, they are also very willing and eager to help. Take full advantage of that.

Best wishes
    - Richard