Thread: Trust supports development of drugs to treat spinal cord injury

Trust supports development of drugs to treat spinal cord injury

Trust supports development of drugs to treat spinal cord injury
    23 August 2010
    The Wellcome Trust has awarded a second Seeding Drug Discovery Award to Dr Jonathan Corcoran from the Wolfson Centre for Age Related Diseases at King’s College London, to develop new drugs that can be taken orally to treat spinal cord injury.

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/News/2010/News/WTX062534.htm

Looks good!
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Looks good, sounds good. Let's see if we hear or see of it again or is it another post of useless advertisemetn for the group to exstend their stipends for job security. No mention of what the next step is or am I missing something?

keeping on

This is good, what's equally interesting is the amount and type of funding they provide, check out the facts on the website.

Our community is always looking for funding, this foundation might be a source.

from the article,.

Dr Corcoran's group have previously shown that small molecules known as retinoids can stimulate nerves to grow back by inducing a specific pattern of protein expression in the injured nerve cells, which can lead to functional recovery in rodent models.

i wish these folks would skip mice and start right with contusion model rats.

any body looked it up yet

more on retinoids
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

The team includes Dr Barret Kalindjian who is a medicinal chemist already based in Dr Corcoran's lab and Professor Thomas Carlstedt, a nerve surgeon at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery and the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, who will carry out the clinical trial.
    Professor Thomas Carlstedt specializes in Brachial Plexus Injuries (BPI). I met up with him about 6 years ago to discus prospects for my injury (BPI). I was thoroughly impressed by his dedication and tenacity in focusing his life's work on the nature and cure of this injury. As far as I understand, anything he does towards the BPI cure will have a direct correlation on the SCI cure as well. He has been working with Prof Geoffrey Riasman at University College London to initiate Olfactory Ensheathing Glia trials. Those unfortunately have never come to fruition... MORE FUNDING!
    Last edited by cljanney; 08-24-2010 at 10:55 AM.

The one thing we forgot in our disucssions is that this is not only the US that is involved in solving this puzzel. The greed alone will prohibit the US from restricting research and ultimatly the big buck.