Thread: Bladder Recovery

Bladder Recovery

4 1/2 years post injury. C5/C6 incomplete. Walking a bit without walker - this is after much physical therapy. Beginning to pee a little on my own. Any input about devices, exercises, etc. to improve bladder function even more would be most appreciated. Bowel function not improved. Same ole bowel program every day. Bowel recovery input would be appreciated too! Thanks so much. This forum has been so helpful these past four years.

im a L1 INC 12 months post, iv recovered moderate motor function and decent bladder and bowel function. I can feel when im full most of the time, can hold it for up to 30 min, and can pee on my own. I have trouble emptying and have really bad bladder spasticity sometimes so i still cath most of the time for convenience. I started to bear down while i cath to build those smooth bladder muscles and practice holding it when i fill full. Earlier on I used to drink a lot of fluids to practice holding it and then voiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Veganman View Post
    4 1/2 years post injury. C5/C6 incomplete. Walking a bit without walker - this is after much physical therapy. Beginning to pee a little on my own. Any input about devices, exercises, etc. to improve bladder function even more would be most appreciated. Bowel function not improved. Same ole bowel program every day. Bowel recovery input would be appreciated too! Thanks so much. This forum has been so helpful these past four years.
    Veganman,

I am glad to hear that you are beginning to pee a little on your own. Very often, this is in the form of bladder contractions that push urine through the sphincter without the full voiding reflex. There are several possible approaches to improving bladder and bowel function.

The first, as discussed in another topic, is to bridge a ventral root from the lumbar cord to the pudendal nerve, which innervates the bladder and the anal sphincter. Dr. Xiao in China has been bridging connections from lumbar ventral roots to the S2 root, which innervates the bladder and the anal sphincter. He has observed improvements in bladder function. The degree of bladder improvement is not clear to me and I am hoping that several other places around the world that have been doing clinical trials of this procedure will soon publish their results. When these publications are available, I will review the data and discuss the pros and cons of the procedure.

The second is to use electrical stimulation of the spinal roots to cause bladder contraction (Source). Earlier versions of sacral root stimulators required cutting of the dorsal roots to prevent violent spasms that may occur. This was not acceptable to many patients, particularly in the U.S. because it prevented erections. However, sacral stimulators were implanted in thousands of people in Europe. More recent studies suggest that intermittent stimulation of the pudendal nerve can empty the bladder without cutting the nerves.

Wise.

Neotonus electromagnetic chair

Thank you Dr. Wise for your input. Have you heard of this - Neotonus electromagentic chair? Also known in US as a Neocontrol System. Could also be known as EXMI-Technology. This is for getting bladder control back. For the individual it's a very costly piece of equipment but a doctor in Germany, a Dr. Michael Jordan, believes that everyone treating pelvic floor should offer their patients the EXMI. Thoughts?

Congrats for walking after 4-1/2 years and peeing on your own!!! I am C6 inc. and peeing on my own since my injury 2003 (but always 150 - 200 Ml residue in bladder) but not walking yet (only with high-stand walker and knee hard braces); Quite amazing if you didn't have peeing function and got it back but achieve to walk without walker.....I am lazy on than!!!
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine