Thread: C5-6 moderate spinal stenosis, deforminty to spinal cord, effacement of CSF at C5-6

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

C5-6 moderate spinal stenosis, deforminty to spinal cord, effacement of CSF at C5-6

Also severe narrowing of neural foramina on left at C3-4, bilaterally at C5-6, more severe narrowing at C6-7 on left.

MRI just this Monday-symptoms: constant headache, nasty scapular pain with pain in my shoulder, forearm, hand and fingers,fumbling hands that cause me to drop things, difficulty typing without dropping letters, nausea growing worse at night, difficulty walking a straight line without great concentration, light sensitivity, more urinary hesitancy and frequency than I'm used to, left leg weakness that seems increased from usual.

wondering if anyone's dealt with a similar set of symptoms and your outcome. I'm seeing a neurosurgeon known for being conservative, which is fine. But my trust level isn't great-I self diagnosed cauda equina 6 years ago and my PCP told me I was wrong. I was not wrong, and had to fight for a week to get to a neurosurgeon, too late to avoid permanent bowel/bladder/sexual dysfunction. So I tend to be overcautious, and even the mention of "cord distortion" is making me a little crazy.

thanks all and happy friday.

Hi...I was pushed around from dr to dr for 18 months then had surgery....i had very similar symptoms too....identical....wish i had surgery sooner as there is a lot more damage now with myelomalacia, spinal cord thinning and atrophy at the herniation site. legs are weak, numbness arms and legs and ribcage....spasms...burning etc....if i could go back i would...

hugs

cathy

Quote Originally Posted by marcn View Post
    Also severe narrowing of neural foramina on left at C3-4, bilaterally at C5-6, more severe narrowing at C6-7 on left.

MRI just this Monday-symptoms: constant headache, nasty scapular pain with pain in my shoulder, forearm, hand and fingers,fumbling hands that cause me to drop things, difficulty typing without dropping letters, nausea growing worse at night, difficulty walking a straight line without great concentration, light sensitivity, more urinary hesitancy and frequency than I'm used to, left leg weakness that seems increased from usual.

wondering if anyone's dealt with a similar set of symptoms and your outcome. I'm seeing a neurosurgeon known for being conservative, which is fine. But my trust level isn't great-I self diagnosed cauda equina 6 years ago and my PCP told me I was wrong. I was not wrong, and had to fight for a week to get to a neurosurgeon, too late to avoid permanent bowel/bladder/sexual dysfunction. So I tend to be overcautious, and even the mention of "cord distortion" is making me a little crazy.

thanks all and happy friday.
    hi i know you post is from August and you probably have already seen your neurosurgeon and have a better idea of what is going on. I have CSM and had herniations at C5/6 6/7 and osteophytes at C3and 4. I had severe stenosis and cord compression and ultimately was decompressed with fusion etc in dec 09. If you want to talk and are still around let me know. I have an awful tooth ache and the meds have made me out of it since yesterday. So i cant write much, but if you are around another day, i'd be happy to respond.

mary

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    hi i know you post is from August and you probably have already seen your neurosurgeon and have a better idea of what is going on. I have CSM and had herniations at C5/6 6/7 and osteophytes at C3and 4. I had severe stenosis and cord compression and ultimately was decompressed with fusion etc in dec 09. If you want to talk and are still around let me know. I have an awful tooth ache and the meds have made me out of it since yesterday. So i cant write much, but if you are around another day, i'd be happy to respond.

mary
    I also have those similiar findings and sypmtoms, 10 years after c5-6-7 fusion. I am wondering if my initial problem has ascurbated. Although I have been a chronic pain patient from day one. I am experiencing pain in and around my left shoulder under my left shoulder blade in my chest like in and around the 2nd and 3rd rib,. Had many tests run on my heart thinking the chest area pain may be heart related. All checked out ok. I mean a lot of the pain is above and to the top left area of the chest by the heart. And in the back area just opposite from the front, also into the shoulder and some weakness in the arm and left hand. And sometimes some numbness under the shoulderblade area. Also have the frequent urination at night and slow and stopping flow, sometimes almost falling asleep on the toilet. Since having neck and low back surgery and the frequent urinations at night, been prone to sitting when going at night. Although it is not like I get any sleep at night. Even after spending 3 grand for a custum built mattress, which I hate. Thinking about buying $ 3000.00 dollar theraputic mattress, the ones like nasa uses. Anyone have any positive and true stories about a good mattress to use? I am currently on fentanyl pain patch. Thanks to all inquiries, God bless all you in pain. Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruutuuss View Post
    I also have those similiar findings and sypmtoms, 10 years after c5-6-7 fusion. I am wondering if my initial problem has ascurbated. Although I have been a chronic pain patient from day one. I am experiencing pain in and around my left shoulder under my left shoulder blade in my chest like in and around the 2nd and 3rd rib,. Had many tests run on my heart thinking the chest area pain may be heart related. All checked out ok. I mean a lot of the pain is above and to the top left area of the chest by the heart. And in the back area just opposite from the front, also into the shoulder and some weakness in the arm and left hand. And sometimes some numbness under the shoulderblade area. Also have the frequent urination at night and slow and stopping flow, sometimes almost falling asleep on the toilet. Since having neck and low back surgery and the frequent urinations at night, been prone to sitting when going at night. Although it is not like I get any sleep at night. Even after spending 3 grand for a custum built mattress, which I hate. Thinking about buying $ 3000.00 dollar theraputic mattress, the ones like nasa uses. Anyone have any positive and true stories about a good mattress to use? I am currently on fentanyl pain patch. Thanks to all inquiries, God bless all you in pain. Bruce
    Maybe you are having problems with adjacent discs where you had the surgery? I dont know why you had the fusion surgery. Sounds like you have some radicular pain in your arm and maybe your thoracic area and neurological symptoms. You should have an MRI. I had cord compression and rapidly progressing neuro problems and was losing my LE motor function.

I have a of T-spine herniation T7/8that is pressing on the thecal sac that causes radiating pain and used to cause a wrap around pain in my chest in the sternum area that would knock me off my feet for like 3 days.

I couldn't begin to know what is the matter with you.

I'm sure there must be alot of people here with good mattress recommendations. I hope u further investigate your symptoms.
    good luck

Bruutuuss

You would be wise to return to the neurosurgeon and try to find out if the adjacent vertebrae and discs are the source of your trouble as Mary suggests in the above post.

Quite often the trouble you had that caused the C-5/6/7 fusion to be needed can spread to other parts of the spine near the previous fusions. It is quite common to have this kind of trouble.

Sounds like my current troubles with C-7/T1. Same type of symptoms as you describe.

See your doctor and get another MRI.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess