Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: class reunion

class reunion

My high school class is having their reunion in July. At first, I was really excited to go but now that I have to put the money down, I am having second thoughts. My fellow classmates weren't exactly my best friends. I haven't seen any of them for quite some time. I just don't want to be the "center of attention" all night. Any thoughts or suggestions on how you have handled this situation?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by momo3 View Post
    My high school class is having their reunion in July. At first, I was really excited to go but now that I have to put the money down, I am having second thoughts. My fellow classmates weren't exactly my best friends. I haven't seen any of them for quite some time. I just don't want to be the "center of attention" all night. Any thoughts or suggestions on how you have handled this situation?

Thanks.
    Mine is this year too...and at first, like you, I was excited. I got together with my close friends from high school last year so they all know about my chair and what happened to put me in it. It was tense for about 10 minutes...and then it was like it was, filling each other in on things, talking about their kids, etc.

As far as my reunion is concerned, I am not sure if I want to be the standout with all of my other classmates. It would be cool to see what everyone is up to, and I want to be the one to say screw the chair...go and be yourself. I just have not gotten there yet.

Good luck to you...I understand what you are going through...and I hope we both decide to go...would hate to look back on this and say...what if?
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Wheeliecoach, thank you. I still haven't gotten to that place either. Several of my classmates know what happened to me but I haven't seen them yet. I'm really not ready for the "you are such an inspiration, you look so good, I didn't know you could do that, etc." comments.

Wheeliecoach, thank you. I still haven't gotten to that place either. Several of my classmates know what happened to me but I haven't seen them yet. I'm really not ready for the "you are such an inspiration, you look so good, I didn't know you could do that, etc." comments.
    I know what you are saying...I had a lot of that with my friends...and I finally told them that I am the same person I was...I just do things differently than I did. Something tells me though that it would be different with those who were not my close friends...they will either tell me those things...or they will just stare. I do not know which is worse.

Obviously I have no advice...but I am in your corner with you...so if you want to bounce stuff off of someone...I am around.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

This is a tough call. I was injured in gym class and about 30 classmates witnessed my accident. I never graduated but was always considered a member of the graduating class. Knowing about my injury was never an issue. The year before the 20th year reunion, a few who were close friends tracked me down through my parents and asked me to help with a project they were trying to start and launch at the forthcoming reunion. To shorten the story, we started an endowment fund to provide scholarships for new graduates. My wife and I attended. Certainly there were a lot of inquiries about what had happened over the years, but it provided an opportunity to convince some that I had not died, as they had heard. lol Our class has grown closer together and the 55th year reunion is being held on June 26. I cannot attend physically, but I am going to interact via a Skype videoconference. Since I have now outlived about 30 percent of my classmates, my disability is no longer a concern/issue. I have attended 8-10 of the reunions over the years, and never had any regrets.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Thanks.
    I was invited to my 20th, even though i didn't grad.
    I went in talked to a few people, went out for a smoke and kept going,
    guess i was friends with all the potheads and crazy bunch, none of them grad anyways
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I have seen pictures of my 20th, and wish I had gone. it looked fun.

My 20th also

I plan on going. I already paid for it, so I don't want to waste my money. I have seen most of my friends since I was injuried (13 years ago), I don't think I have to worry about to many questions, but I do suspect some.

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    I was invited to my 20th, even though i didn't grad.
    I went in talked to a few people, went out for a smoke and kept going,
    guess i was friends with all the potheads and crazy bunch, none of them grad anyways
    LoL thats funny. I was a partier too but I did graduate. Most of my stoner friends didn't make it to the reunion but some did stumble in. Most of my classmates knew about my accident and those that didn't we're cool about asking what happened, it was a good night.

MoMo go its fun, I think you'll have a good time.

Thanks for all the input and support. I went to my 5 and 10 year reunions. This one was a weird year-27? Anyway, after a lot of thought, I have decided not to go. I don't have any close friends from high school anyway. I am going down to spend time with my parents instead. Thanks again for your help.