Thread: What's the sequence?

What's the sequence?

Dr. Young or anyone. I'll try and make this short and succinct on a question that I'm sure in your minds is quite exhaustive.

Prior to Spinewire in its current form, but on the Cando website, you had posted, about 8 months ago, your answer to the question of 'what are the steps involved to cure sci?'

Including the application of various drugs available and in development such as IN-1, 4-AP, Inosine, etc., etc,. etc,. along with ALL of the current breakthroughs including but not limited to OEG, stem-cells(various and all types), Schwann cells, nerve bridging, omentum, porcine cells, nerve glue, axon regeneration, myelin regeneration, etc., etc,. etc,.

So, given all of this current information and theory would you or someone please spell it out at a third grade level (my senior year) so that I may understand step by baby step what has to happen in order for us to get back on our feet.

I don't need a lot of detail at this point Dr. Young except your opinion and others as to the procedure(s), the drugs, the therapies etc. Whatever you think will be the appropriate, logical and reasonable sequence to recovery?

At this point I'm very confused with all the daily breakthrough information being thrown around and would like some direction. Thank you.

As you may read many MANY times on this forum, that's what people complain about the most. There are SO MANY possibilities right now, and nobody seems to work together. It's a scary thing to even consider a surgery right now, because next month there might be something better

Eric Texley

Chris, the answer will probably be different for different people. Some people will need regenerative therapies. Others will need remyelinative therapies. Many will need both. All will require intensive rehabilitation in order fro the therapy to work.

I would like to address several other questions that many people have been asking.

• Should I participate in clinical trials? As you can know from the Trials Forum, there are many clinical trials underway. There will be more. Most of them are phase 1 trials, intended to establish safety and feasibility. In the coming 2-3 years, most of these will probably start phase 2, looking at efficacy. Many of the therapies that are being discovered in animal studies will start clinical trials in the coming 2-3 years. For a majority of people, it would be prudent to wait and see the results of the clinical trials. A minority may wish to volunteer for the clinical trials with full knowledge of the risks and benefits.

• Why is this clinical trial excluding me? A clinical trial is not a means by which people can get experimental therapies. They are necessary for optimizing therapies and assessing their risks and benefits. Clinical trials must be designed for success. Investigators must select subjects that are most likely to respond to the therapy and least likely to suffer adverse consequences. For Especially in phase 2 and 3, they often include control groups that will not be receiving the therapy. Therapies that go to clinical trial too early or insufficient data concerning the optimum application are more likely to fail and this may prematurely shut off promising therapeutic avenues.

• What can I do to hurry the process? In my opinion, the best way is to put pressure on the scientists, doctors, companies, and governments to invest in spinal cord injury research, to get the therapies to clinical trials as soon as possible, and to do it well and right. Many members of this forum are doing that. Christopher Reeve is very effective at doing this. Politicians understand that urgency and want to help. It is working. There would not be so many clinical trials in the field today if that pressure had not been there. There are more clinical trials going on in spinal cord injury than for other medical conditions that affect much larger populations.

There are many things that you can do to prepare for the eventuality of restorative therapies. The first is to keep your body healthy and in shape. The second is to live your life. The third is find out everything that you can about the therapies. The fourth is to help push for more and better research in the field.

Sometime ago, DA asked me the question of what I would do if I were injured... I said that I would keep myself healthy, learn as much as possible about the therapies, live my life well, and try to make as much money as possible. Seriously, the last is probably not what I would do... I would do as much science as possible.

Wise.

Chris

Assuming the various treatments turn out to have positive effects in phase 1/2 trials and based on what we know, here is a possible sequence or scenario.

1. Stay or get healthy.
    2. Try to reverse muscle atrophy, osteoporosis
    3. Find out correctable problems, i.e. compression, tethering, syrinx, and correct during the following procedure if surgery
    4. Reverse learned non-use
    A. supported ambulation
    B. biofeedback training
    5. Find out whether you are responsive to 4AP
    A. if responsive to 4AP -->
    i. stem cell transplant
    ii. Schwann cell transplants
    iii. olfactory ensheathing glial transplants
    iv. M1 antibody therapy
    B. if not responsive to 4AP -->
    i. IN-1 ± NT-3
    ii. AIT-082
    iii. Rolipram
    iv. inosine
    5. Loss of interneurons/motoneurons
    A. human teratoma neuronal transplants'
    B. intrathecal stem cell administration
    C. fetal neuronal transplants
    D. AIT-082, etc.

I don't know... as you can see, this list depends a lot of what is found and the type of injury.

Wise.