Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ‘Dr. Laura’ Retreats After Use of Epithet

‘Dr. Laura’ Retreats After Use of Epithet

‘Dr. Laura’ Retreats After Use of Epithet
    By JOSEPH PLAMBECK
    Published: August 18, 2010

Following criticism and the loss of advertisers after her use of a racial epithet 11 times on her long-running radio talk show last week, Laura Schlessinger said on Tuesday night that she would not renew her contract for the show when it expires at the end of the year.

On CNN’s “Larry King Live,” Dr. Schlessinger said that she would leave her “Dr. Laura Program” because she doesn’t want to have to prune her words or opinions.

“I want to be able to say what’s on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry, some special interest group deciding this is the time to silence a voice of dissent and attack affiliates, attack sponsors,” she said. “I’m sort of done with that.”

On Aug. 10, Dr. Schlessinger used the epithet 11 times while arguing in an exchange with a caller that there was a double standard depending on who utters the word.

“Black guys talking to each other seem to think it’s O.K.,” she said. “I don’t get it. If anybody without enough melanin says it, it’s a horrible thing. But when black people say it, it’s affectionate.”

Dr. Schlessinger’s self-help program grew quickly in the 1990s, helping to establish her as “the most important female talk show host in the history of talk radio,” according to Michael Harrison, the publisher of Talkers magazine, which covers talk radio. According to the magazine, the show remains the third-most-listened-to talk show, with more than nine million listeners each week, tied with Glenn Beck and Michael Savage. In 2000, Dr. Schlessinger described homosexuality as deviant and derivative of “biological error” and refused to back away from the comments, causing dozens of advertisers to pull their support from her radio program and a nascent television show.

New York Times
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

What an idiot. Bye, hope we don't see ya on Fox, but you're probably already workin' a deal for your own show!!
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

No shit! Who the hell listens to her crap, she's a moron, living in the dark ages.

Regarding the Dr. Laura incident, this is a must-read: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lincol..._b_683657.html

It truly highlights everything that went on with an amazing insight into the underlying rhetoric beneath Dr. Laura's questioning and use of words that day.

Bye, bye "Dr" (?) Laura.........don't let the door hit your antiquated ideas on the way out, and please buy a roll of duct tape for your mouth the next time you decide to share your bigoted ways with humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Bye, bye "Dr" (?) Laura.........don't let the door hit your antiquated ideas on the way out, and please buy a roll of duct tape for your mouth the next time you decide to share your bigoted ways with humanity.
    Hehe. For an advice giver, she's done well for herself considering her doctorate isn't even in psychology. Neither is Dr. Phil's. Go figure!

In my opinion, Dr. Laura and Dr. Phil have made millions basically telling people common sense. Seriously, I've listened to Dr. Laura and watched Dr. Phil and cannot believe the bullshit people need to ask another personality about.

It is my sincere belief that the success of shows like Dr. Laura and Dr. Phil are really more about tapping into the private lives and dramas of other people. Yes, I'm guilty of that. Let's be honest. It's fun watching Judge Judy rip into a dumb ass or watching Oprah ask her guests some really personal questions.

I heard her defending herself and it just made no sense. She was being stubborn and did not want to consider she might be wrong.
    She finally fell off of her high horse.
    I'm afraid RDF may right, she probably had FOX on the phone the next day.

RDF, Dr Laura and FOX, a match made in heaven. They love them some race baiters over at FOX and don't care if a bunch of sponsors cancel due to hate speech (Glenn Beck).

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    Hehe. For an advice giver, she's done well for herself considering her doctorate isn't even in psychology. Neither is Dr. Phil's. Go figure!
    In fact, Dr. Phil has a doctorate in clinical psychology from the University of North Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    In fact, Dr. Phil has a doctorate in clinical psychology from the University of North Texas.
    I stand corrected. Damn! Rumors go far. I should have read Wikipedia.