Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Going power for recreation etc

Going power for recreation etc

I'm getting a powerchair/scooter to use every once in awhile. I use a manual full time, but have found myself declining certain activities because physically it's really hard to get around. A lot of events I enjoy going to end up being in gravel or grass. Physically I can push through it but it's more work than it's worth and ends up being exhausting/painful. The winter and snow is dreadful too when trying to go to school.

I demo'ed a little Invacare Pronto with 10" driving wheels and it handled everything I needed it to handle. I could not get certain seating options like dump built into it though.

After research I have found this Quantum base.
    http://www.pridemobility.com/quantum...eries/q610.asp

It's small like the Invacare and they will give me my 3" dump and a tapered front end and footplate like a manual chair has. I like it because it's midwheel and turns on a dime. It measures only 23" wide! This is nice because I can then leave it in the back of my minivan with my manual too. I will just be getting the base with a regular seat pan on it so I can put my own cushion and my normal Jetstream Pro backrest etc on it not like all the stuff in the pic.

I feel I have some knowledge about powerchairs/scooters from research, demoing, and asking my buddies locally. Is there any advice or do-overs people would like to share before we order it?

What about armrests? What options are best I'm getting desk-length for sure.

Another silly question is my cushion is a Nexus 16" wide. It is air cells with a foam base. I can't sit on a 15" cushion because the foam perimeter leaves marks on my sitting bones. I want to order a 15" frame on this new chair and my 16" cushion should fit or I can trim the foam at the bottom down. Would you go with a 15" to keep things sleeker and snug or just do the 16" chair? I carry purses always too so I wonder if a 15" would make it too snug so my purse off my shoulder would hit the armrests. (lol i'm redix)

Surprisingly I'm pretty excited about all this. Now I can go shooting in the fields with the guys and not feel like I need so much help getting around!

TIA
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

i'd stay away from the mid wheel drive if you are going to be going off the beaten path. in uneven terrain the front and back casters keep the drive wheels from getting good contact with the ground which causes the chair to get stuck easy.

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    I'm getting a powerchair/scooter to use every once in awhile. I use a manual full time, but have found myself declining certain activities because physically it's really hard to get around. A lot of events I enjoy going to end up being in gravel or grass. Physically I can push through it but it's more work than it's worth and ends up being exhausting/painful. The winter and snow is dreadful too when trying to go to school.

I demo'ed a little Invacare Pronto with 10" driving wheels and it handled everything I needed it to handle. I could not get certain seating options like dump built into it though.

After research I have found this Quantum base.
    http://www.pridemobility.com/quantum...eries/q610.asp

It's small like the Invacare and they will give me my 3" dump and a tapered front end and footplate like a manual chair has. I like it because it's midwheel and turns on a dime. It measures only 23" wide! This is nice because I can then leave it in the back of my minivan with my manual too. I will just be getting the base with a regular seat pan on it so I can put my own cushion and my normal Jetstream Pro backrest etc on it not like all the stuff in the pic.

I feel I have some knowledge about powerchairs/scooters from research, demoing, and asking my buddies locally. Is there any advice or do-overs people would like to share before we order it?

What about armrests? What options are best I'm getting desk-length for sure.

Another silly question is my cushion is a Nexus 16" wide. It is air cells with a foam base. I can't sit on a 15" cushion because the foam perimeter leaves marks on my sitting bones. I want to order a 15" frame on this new chair and my 16" cushion should fit or I can trim the foam at the bottom down. Would you go with a 15" to keep things sleeker and snug or just do the 16" chair? I carry purses always too so I wonder if a 15" would make it too snug so my purse off my shoulder would hit the armrests. (lol i'm redix)

Surprisingly I'm pretty excited about all this. Now I can go shooting in the fields with the guys and not feel like I need so much help getting around!

TIA
    I've thought about getting a power chair, mainly for working around the yeard and stuff where you can use a hand free
    good luck
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by micah_d View Post
    i'd stay away from the mid wheel drive if you are going to be going off the beaten path. in uneven terrain the front and back casters keep the drive wheels from getting good contact with the ground which causes the chair to get stuck easy.
    I heard that too, but I had no issues in the terrain I took it on. The rear wheel drive didn't work in the back of my minivan. It was too tight.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

you should look into the frontier x5 - very manuverable, still mid-wheel but will go pretty much anywhere. the footprint may be a bit wide though, i think its 28". i would definitly buy one if i had the money. im in a similar situation (manual only) but last year i bought a quickie p222se from spinlife as a 'doing' machine........only use it sometimes, but its small (23 1/2" i think) and has great power and speed. i can scare the shit out of people by whizzing by...

20+ years ago that's exactly what got me out of my manual into a powerchair, and I never looked back. I know you're not casting the manual away but the freedoms the powerchair will give you are immense.

I'm not sure what the details are of a rear-wheel not working for your van but the mid-wheels really do suck in any rough terrain. Except for the Frontier x5 but that's a big strong mofo.

Good luck.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Interestingly, I am considering the same thing right now. I skip things, because they wouldn;t be fun in the manual.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    you should look into the frontier x5 - very manuverable, still mid-wheel but will go pretty much anywhere. the footprint may be a bit wide though, i think its 28". i would definitly buy one if i had the money. im in a similar situation (manual only) but last year i bought a quickie p222se from spinlife as a 'doing' machine........only use it sometimes, but its small (23 1/2" i think) and has great power and speed. i can scare the shit out of people by whizzing by...
    I actually like the look and function of that Frontier X5 but I fear it's just too big for my areas. It's at least 4" longer and 4.5" wider than the Quantum. Also I live in an apartment so wanted something small-ish to store. Maybe that Frontier would be a better option next time around and when I have a house and yard of my own?

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye
    20+ years ago that's exactly what got me out of my manual into a powerchair, and I never looked back. I know you're not casting the manual away but the freedoms the powerchair will give you are immense.

I'm not sure what the details are of a rear-wheel not working for your van but the mid-wheels really do suck in any rough terrain. Except for the Frontier x5 but that's a big strong mofo.
    My manual wheelchair which is 23" wide total and 30 something inches long makes it tight in my Chevy Uplander unless I have the swivel seat all the way in driving position. To turn around as it is I have to hang out the ramp a bit or have the swivel seat forward some turn and then bring it back. As you can see I need to stay with a small base and the rear wheel drives made it so I was just scratching up the interior. I'm not sure, I think I may put an easy lock in and get/keep the extra front passenger seat so if and when I want to trade off between chairs I can still have the captains seat that locks into place to transfer to from manual. Of course then the other front seat must be snapped out. Hmmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    Interestingly, I am considering the same thing right now. I skip things, because they wouldn;t be fun in the manual.
    At first I was totally against it until I realized how much I was missing out on. My friends and family are all supportive too so when we do more than regular sidewalk stuff I can join in better too.
    Last edited by november; 12-08-2009 at 07:25 PM.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I concur. Stay away from mid-wheel except for the X-5. I have both the X-5 and an OmegaTrac which are definitely too large for you.

I must have gotten three mid-wheel demos stuck just driving around on the grass outside the V.A. center. You never know when it will happen.

The latest was an Invacare TDX, which is a good chair, just stay on the pavement.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

i am a quad c6c7 i go outside a bunch horseshows rodeos and ground sucks .so i have a powerchair and i can go pretty much where i want plus i can go to the consession stand get coffee.i have an inovacare with rear wheel

when i lived on the farm i had a wrangler scooter it was double tough