Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for info on an off road wheelchair

Looking for info on an off road wheelchair

I am looking for an off road wheelchair (power), I do photography and live in the mountains of Colorado. I have seen a bunch of stuff on YouTube.

I am not looking for a manual chair.

Does any one use one for going off road?
    Does anyone use a ATV?
    I am not looking for a power-chair it needs to have tires like a ATV but smaller. I really have no idea what I need, but it would be cool if it had standing capability as well.

Does anyone have something to sell or trade?
    I do have a iGlide (Tailwind) that I might be willing to trade.

Steve Pisano

I'd rather have an ATV I can drive a chair into. I'd buy one today!

Over the years I have had 3 amphibious 6 or 8 wheeled ATV's, they are not as fast as quads but I was able to drive right off the bank into the lake for fishing and ride on top in very boggy swamps. With (removable) tracks no snow depth can stop you. I always bought the smaller wheels/tires for ease of transfers. These ATV's are completely hand controlled, skid steer operation. With a front winch option you can even load/unload one on a trailer from outside the trailer with minimal trailer modification. Balance can be a problem and for a lot of people, fabricating a good harness would probably be good.

"a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Over the years I have had 3 amphibious 6 or 8 wheeled ATV's, they are not as fast as quads but I was able to drive right off the bank into the lake for fishing and ride on top in very boggy swamps. With (removable) tracks no snow depth can stop you. I always bought the smaller wheels/tires for ease of transfers. These ATV's are completely hand controlled, skid steer operation. With a front winch option you can even load/unload one on a trailer from outside the trailer with minimal trailer modification. Balance can be a problem and for a lot of people, fabricating a good harness would probably be good.
    pics of yours
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    pics of yours
    Sorry, I am so computer incompetent I don't know how to load pictures. I 1st owned a 6 wheel Max (Recreatives Ind) in 1972 bought used. Next I had the 8 wheel Argo made in Canada (Ontario Drive and Gear). On this one I bought treads as an option. I always needed AB help to get these on and off using a come along. The last was another 6 wheel Max bought new. I kept this about 10 years and sold it last year. On this Max I used a trailer with a ramp/gate on back, a friend welded a little arm to the top of ramp/gate, my winch was on side of dash where I could reach it easily from outside ATV. I had a rope permanently tied to top of rollbar for loading/unloading - this was tied to arm at top of ramp. As I winched ATV up ramp the rope would tighten and close lift/ramp until I could secure with pin. THe ATV rode so snugly on trailer that I just trailered it in neutral with a couple of tie offs. To unload just untie tieoffs and remove pin on ramp/gate, the weight of ramp falling will pull ATV off trailer. Be sure to do this on flat ground.

These amphibious ATV's are also great on ice as you float if you fall through unless you forget to install drain plugs.

Hi Steve I have a Extreme 4 x 4, I have just finished rebuilding both back motors,put 2 new batteries,rebuilt joystick and main brain control unit.Painted the fiberglass body black.It also has the tilt feature on the joystick.Runs great. ,if you are interested I am selling it for $7000.If not good luck with your adventure.